Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Problem foods!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kellbell

Hi everyone just wondering what people’s problem foods are if any? I’ve tired salad a few times now and it just makes me feel sick after! Gutted as it’s easy and used to have salad all the time before! X

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve not really had a problem with anything, everything is tolerated well.

when I was newly bypassed, I ws obviously very very careful what I ate, but as the months have passed I’ve become more relaxed. Nowadays I find I can have anything so long as its a small portion. I do clearly keep a close eye on fat and sugar because I want to stay healthy but on special occasions I’ve had a spoonful of pudding or the odd piece of chocolate. And if I do eat an unhealthy thing, I always make sure I’ve eaten some protein first to slow down my digestion. I’ve never dumped and I never want to!

Chris x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 33765 wrote:

Hi,

I’ve not really had a problem with anything, everything is tolerated well.

when I was newly bypassed, I ws obviously very very careful what I ate, but as the months have passed I’ve become more relaxed. Nowadays I find I can have anything so long as its a small portion. I do clearly keep a close eye on fat and sugar because I want to stay healthy but on special occasions I’ve had a spoonful of pudding or the odd piece of chocolate. And if I do eat an unhealthy thing, I always make sure I’ve eaten some protein first to slow down my digestion. I’ve never dumped and I never want to!

Chris x

Your regime is almost a carbon copy of mine except that I can’t eat animal protein or rice! I never ate much meat anyway and have not eaten fish or pork for about 50 years anyway.

But BOY have I dumped!!! Always self induced so never seek sympathy haha! Shortbread at Christmas – fails every time. Yet I still do it. How ridiculous is that – hoping that one year it might be different? Ridiculous. #servesmeright

Doodah x

ps isn’t repeating the same action over and over but expecting a different outcome each time, the first sign of madness……?!

treeza

Omg everyone is so different & I have to say someday I can eat something then the next time I can’t. Doesn’t seem any reason half the time. It’s all trial & error. I still don’t tolerate bread, eggs, chicken is a bit hit & miss as if fish. I’m fine with pasta & rice. Meats are ok as long I chew chew chew.

treeza

Kellbell I don’t know how far out you are but it was months before I tried salad & it was a bit tricky to start. Just remember to chew loads & just be cautious about what dressings you put on it. Give it another try in a couple of weeks x

kellbell

Hi treesa I’m 3 months post bypass now and I also have trouble with bread and eggs but fine with pasta n rice. Will try again in a few weeks thanks x

bikerchris
    Participant

I also remember being told by Nicole the dietician that salad is not necessarily a brilliant choice post wls because it is fibrous and takes some chewing so it fills us up but offers no protein. If I do have salad, I try to eat my chicken or tuna or whatever first the if I can fit in a bit of lettuce I will.

I’m lucky because i work 3 days in the office and 2 at home so on my 3 packed lunch days, i usually sling a handful of cherry tomatoes in. These days, i don’t mind paying a higher price for the really nice ones, because i’m worth it. Delicious and healthy.

Doodah
    Keymaster

I LOVE salad. My absolute favourite is Greek salad. However, it took me at least a year before I got it ‘right’.

I have found that it is better to stick to leaves that don’t have long stalks, have soft leaves and to tear it all up before I put it on the plate. I also don’t eat tomato skins and I half peel the cucumber. I have capsicum/bell peppers that I have removed the skins from first by baking them on a tray. The crumbliness of the cheese (feta) the soft sweetness of the peppers, and the juiciness of the cucumber seems to work really well – for me.

Salad is so easy, portable and nutritious that it was the one dish that I really persevered with. I so hope you will eventually be able to eat it ok, kellbell. Try a little bit of something every day and see how it goes. Good luck!

Doodah x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media