Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

pre wls research

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » pre wls research

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    natclaire33

I am trying to find out as much info pre surgery as I can, even though I work in the hospital.

I have got both of carole’s books and they are great to read and give you ideas, I am looking on the web etc. I am also looking for other recipe ideas for the different stages after surgery so any ideas would be gratefully recieved, Also if any one else has ideas of other things that I could research i would be gratefull.

Kimberly
    Participant

I think look at at some cbt self help . Because the negative inner voice we have doesn’t disappear and cbt can help notice it , recognise it and challenge it. Making sure your fit and healthy for surgery . You come to the support group which is helpful. Thinking about something you could do afterward like knitting or other things to distract you when the head hunger strikes .
    Before whilst in the milk diet and also after when you has surgery .

Lauren
    Keymaster

Great advice Kim.

Kim has been kind enough to post the CBT self help guidelines on our Facebook support group page.

I actually tried to take up knitting but it was a disaster. Arthritic hands and absolutely no clue what I was doing left me very frustrated haha! Sewing however was a different matter altogether! I Re sized many of my nice clothes by hand to make them last a bit longer in the early stages when we drop roughly a size a month!

A little hand held quiz/game type thing is good. I had a Nintendo DS with ‘brain train’ on it to keep me mentally sharp and focused. Choose whatever interests you! I also bought an exercise bike. 15 mins at a regular pace with a magazine on the book rest bit was great. A real stress buster too. I still do that.

Or, get a dog!! Teach him/her tricks and do some gentle walking several times a day on your days off. Much nicer than housework haha!

Websites like this one are great for recipes. You could trial some of them pre surgery.

Weight Loss Surgery (wls) Recipies | SparkRecipes

Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery: Amazon.co.uk: William B. Inabnet, Meredith Urban-Skuros, Patt Levine, Michele Bontmpo-Saray: Books

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I have to say the only book I didn’t like was wls for dummies . It’s ok but Carole better . I keep it just in case but I bring to group do can have a look

Lauren
    Keymaster

Anything that answers questions you might not have thought of is good right? I hate the title of that book – like you have to be a dummy to either have wls done or consider it 🙁

Couldn’t be more wrong. It’s the smartest thing most of us have ever done for ourselves and our families 😀

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I brought this first but really haven’t found it that helpful but has lots of recipes they use American measurements like cup ect . When I read it the only thing I found helpful was to cook meat in roasting bags , it certainly keeps it moist perfect for us .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 32369 wrote:

I brought this first but really haven’t found it that helpful but has lots of recipes they use American measurements like cup ect . When I read it the only thing I found helpful was to cook meat in roasting bags , it certainly keeps it moist perfect for us .

Keeps the oven cleaner too – anything that saves me doing that foul job is a plus for me! Mind you, you can pay someone £40 to do it for you and the whole cooker looks brand new! prolongs the life of your cooker by years.

I’m boring myself with this post!!!!

Doodah x

natclaire33

thanks for the replies, as for something to do I make my own cards, the last two years I haven’t brought a single ready made card, pre surgery with the milk diet I will probably be working so thats not to bad, after sirgery whilst off work will give me plenty of time to start the christmas cards. and i had a new gadgette that should allow me to make more detailed cards, my hobby is expensive. see you all on thursday

Lauren
    Keymaster

I bloomin LOVE the sound of your hobby! I’m always on the lookout for different and unusual cards and so is my Mum! What a lovely thing to do in your recovery period 😉

Doodah x

treeza

I love the sound of it too. I love knitting & cross stitch but haven’t been able to get into any projects recently although I have plenty to finish! I might just get my knitting out now I have a few days off. X

Lauren
    Keymaster

I used to paint china. I made some nice individual pieces for people as a way of earning money to get me through University.I could also copy most designs (but don’t tell!) and the most sought after was Clarice Cliff. I still have my kit but no kiln. Don’t think I could do it these days as both my eyesight and hands are not what they used to be.

Doodah x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media