Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Pre op seems like it is taking forever

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » Pre-op Appointments- What to expect » Pre op seems like it is taking forever

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    derlooker
    Participant

I everyone. It has been a while since I posted. I met with my surgeon at the end of August and was approved for surgery. However there were signs of sleep apnea so I needed to get proper testing for that. This of course has delayed things. Mr Somers told me to be careful with diet until then and to try to loose some weight as it would all help. After a week or so of last supper syndrome I settled into 3 meals a day and actually lost almost a stone and a half. This has gone a bit pear shaped in the last couple of weeks and I have put back on all I lost. I still don’t have a date to go forward and I am feeling quite low. I know my mood is often linked to what goes in my mouth and my weight so I don’t know why I just can’t have a bit more control. I should know soon and this should be enough. But it doesn’t seem as though it is? Has anyone got any ideas on how I can buck up? Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa

it is perfectly natural to turn to your source of comfort when things are a struggle so please don’t beat yourself up over it. You have proved that you can lose weight so why not try again? If you have an ‘off’ day, don’t be harsh with yourself. Forgive yourself and start again the next day.

Any amount of weight you can lose whilst you are waiting is a bonus. It doesn’t have to be massive amounts. Just enough to prove that you are dedicated. Every single person on here has been in your shoes (or still is) so please beleive that we support you 100%. No-one is going to think any the worse of you for struggling – we all do!

So, how about keeping a food diary? It allows you to ‘obsess’ about food in a positive way. Three healthy meals a day and small healthy snacks if you need them. Also, drink as much water as you can – it really does help. Keep contacting the hospital for updates and write down what is said. You will end up with a brilliant journal of your journey to look back on.

Keep reading all the fantastic posts on here from all the people who are already walking the path. It will inspire you to keep to it too.

Hope this helps. Inbox me if you need anything else ok? BE KIND TO YOURSELF xxxx

Doodah x

ruby tuesday

Dear Lisa,

I sympathise, our moods are so hard to control, and feeling low was what always caused me to reach for sweet stuff. I wonder how you feel about excercise, because it has been proved that a daily walk can be as effective as anti-depressants, so if you are able to use this waiting period to try different forms of excercise, it will keep you out of the house, help with the aim to loose weight pre-op, and help you to then be going into the op somewhat fitter, as well as hopefully helping pick your mood up. If excercise is painful for you, then just try swimming and a little gentle walking, it will make you feel you are using this time positively too. xx

derlooker
    Participant

Hi Doodar & Ruby,

Thanks so much for your lovely emails. I am feeling a whole lot better since the last post I sent. Mainly because I should get an exact date over the next couple of days. It will be sometime in November though. Yay!!!

I think I need to get to a support meeting. The Southampton one is nearest me do you go that one?

derlooker
    Participant

Hi guys.

I have my pre op date now. 4 November.

With bypass booked for 30 November at St Richards. Yay!!!!

So…. I will be reading up on all the pre op pages today to get as much of a heads up as possible.

Lots love Lisa

Candy1

:rapture:

Well the mile high club means some thing different to me than others !!!
    i have just returned from a holiday the first flight i have taken since my surgery in March, we booked extra leg room seats, only to be told that you have to be of “normal size” and be able to sit in the seat with arm rest down and NO extension to the seat belt. Oh yes i said paid the extra and then worried, it is bad enough asking for seat belt extensions let alone now not being able to fit in the seat with seat belt closed,then being moved in front of a plane full of passages.
    well i got on smiled said a quick prayer found my seat and sat in that normal seat with arm rest down and the seat belt closed with a little extra!!!!! to spare and table over my lap ::couch2:
    i looked at my husband smiled then the tears could not believe it the air hostess smiled and said not to be worried the flights are very safe, i could not tell her why the tears, but my husband told her i was ok.
    My holiday just got better from then on i could sit in any chair in the restaurants with or without arms, any sun bed plastic or wooden
    to those who have reached this mile stone to all the others dreams do really come true.

Jacqui

@Candy1 20018 wrote:

:rapture:

Well the mile high club means some thing different to me than others !!!
    i have just returned from a holiday the first flight i have taken since my surgery in March, we booked extra leg room seats, only to be told that you have to be of “normal size” and be able to sit in the seat with arm rest down and NO extension to the seat belt. Oh yes i said paid the extra and then worried, it is bad enough asking for seat belt extensions let alone now not being able to fit in the seat with seat belt closed,then being moved in front of a plane full of passages.
    well i got on smiled said a quick prayer found my seat and sat in that normal seat with arm rest down and the seat belt closed with a little extra!!!!! to spare and table over my lap ::couch2:
    i looked at my husband smiled then the tears could not believe it the air hostess smiled and said not to be worried the flights are very safe, i could not tell her why the tears, but my husband told her i was ok.
    My holiday just got better from then on i could sit in any chair in the restaurants with or without arms, any sun bed plastic or wooden
    to those who have reached this mile stone to all the others dreams do really come true.

WOW I have my bypass 16th Nov and fly to the states middle January as always I dread flying for the same reasons this brought a tear to my eye, It must have felt fantastic.. Well done to you x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media