Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Post op diet

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Soolie

@”Kimberly 31295″ wrote:

That so true went to the hospital canteen to day and had bean on toast 2 slices of toast ( why?) eat half a slice to toast and beans lol and I though that was a tiny portion compared to my brother who had 3 bacon eggs sausages bean toast and fry bread !!!!

Thank you again ladies, so true about waste, I was bought up to clear my plate – waste was a sin! Now if my plate had a patten on I’d try and clear it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway the 20:20:20 rule sounds excellent advice, ty. My cookbook arrived today and oh it is so full of great info I am so grateful to you Doodah!

Do you think I shld get some of this whey protein stuff? I guess when on liquids it will ring the changes for me…

Cheers again
    Soolie xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Soolie 31299 wrote:

Thank you again ladies, so true about waste, I was bought up to clear my plate – waste was a sin! Now if my plate had a patten on I’d try and clear it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway the 20:20:20 rule sounds excellent advice, ty. My cookbook arrived today and oh it is so full of great info I am so grateful to you Doodah!

Do you think I shld get some of this whey protein stuff? I guess when on liquids it will ring the changes for me…

Cheers again
    Soolie xx

Hi Soolie

Glad you find the books helpful – and the 20:20:20 rule!

As far as protein whey goes, I would strongly suggest you contact your team about it. Some surgeons/dietitians do not recommend it at all! I have used them on very rare occasions but am 5.5 years post #wls! I found them useful last year when I had two bouts of pneumonia and couldn’t keep any food down. Some of them are almost drinkable lol!

Anyway, call your team to get your own definitive answer as what might be beneficial to one person, might not be to another.

Doodah x

Vixtricks

Hi all!

I’m a newbie – my Sleeve was on Monday 20th Oct so this was really helpful info. I’ve ordered the books, the vit sprays and some protein bars for when the meal plans don’t quite work out. So pleased to be beyond the doubt stage (too late for doubting now!) and at a point when I’m beginning to feel a bit more like myself. I was thinking of having a Petit Filous yoghurt later – does that sound alright at this early stage, or should I be sticking to soups?

Great being here amongst fellow travellers. Not sure how easy it is for others to understand, particularly my skinny but supportive husband, bless him.

Vixtricks

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi there and welcome.

Regarding the yoghurt, my only advice is check the sugar, if less than 6% you should be fine. I think I stayed on natural yoghurt for the first 4 weeks and just added a teaspoon of unsweetened apple puree. Apart from that, just look after yourself, keep your fluids up, walk as much as you can and rest when you need to. Keep in touch with this wonderful forum.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Vixtricks 32718 wrote:

Hi all!

I’m a newbie – my Sleeve was on Monday 20th Oct so this was really helpful info. I’ve ordered the books, the vit sprays and some protein bars for when the meal plans don’t quite work out. So pleased to be beyond the doubt stage (too late for doubting now!) and at a point when I’m beginning to feel a bit more like myself. I was thinking of having a Petit Filous yoghurt later – does that sound alright at this early stage, or should I be sticking to soups?

Great being here amongst fellow travellers. Not sure how easy it is for others to understand, particularly my skinny but supportive husband, bless him.

Vixtricks

Hi Vixtricks and welcome to our friendly, helpful forum.

I’m so happy for you. Your life will change so much over the next year that you will hardly believe it!

If ever you are in doubt, seek the advice of your dietitian. Having said that, I would proceed with caution regarding petit filous unless you are absolutely certain what the ingredients are. Although you don’t have to worry quite as much about dumping syndrome like we bypassers do, too many sugars/carbs (natural or otherwise) and fats are not healthy. Some brands contain enough to make your eyes bleed!

If you can stick to natural, healthy and fresh food as much as possible you will not only be slimmer but healthier and in my humble opinion, that is the main goal.

Please let us know how you are getting on x

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I found ww and muller light yogurts good and I can tolerate them . But I know some people dump on tiny amounts of sugar . You can flavour yogurt with sugar free syrups . Option powder mixed in chocolate . Or savory some mint chopped up or purred in . You can also make a fish pate with you just fish juice Lemmon and pepper cottage cheese all chucked in a blender and wiszzzed untill smooth paste .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 32723 wrote:

I found ww and muller light yogurts good and I can tolerate them . But I know some people dump on tiny amounts of sugar . You can flavour yogurt with sugar free syrups . Option powder mixed in chocolate . Or savory some mint chopped up or purred in . You can also make a fish pate with you grunt fish juice Lemmon and pepper cottage cheese all chucked in a blender and wiszzzed untill smooth paste .

I don’t eat fish but that is an excellent idea about the pate Kim!

The trouble with yoghurt is that to make them palatable after reducing all the fat, they have to add sugar or sweeteners. I have to admit that I have never gone for the low fat variety of anything dairy – I just have less of it! I am sat here right now with butter on my toast! I’m not saying this is the way to do it as we are all so different and react differently to different things. It’s all about finding what works for YOU. There is a great deal of trial and error involved but we all find what suits us in the end. Having lovely inventive friends helps!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I have low fat yogurts but I do have butter on my marmite toast . Oh my goodness marmite on hot toast with tea heaven but then I know your a marmite and tea drinker doodah .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 32732 wrote:

I have low fat yogurts but I do have butter on my marmite toast . Oh my goodness marmite on hot toast with tea heaven but then I know your a marmite and tea drinker doodah .

Big mug of tea and hot Marmite toast – heaven, right there. I have to say though that these days, porridge with brazil nuts in comes a very close second! I have it for my lunch every day I’m home. It’s just SO comforting. I think I’m a creature of habit as i have the same breakfast and lunch every day haha! But, if it ain’t broke: don’t fix it right?

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Now I’m a committed coffee head but I do make an exception and drink tea if I’m having Marmite toast. It’s one of those heavenly marriages. The brazil nut porridge sounds devine too, but I’ve discovered that if I have an open packet of nuts I can’t leave them alone so I’ve had to stop buying them. This is odd because other foods that I binged on pre wls are still in the house as my son eats them. But show me a pack of nuts and I’m a woman possessed

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32735 wrote:

Now I’m a committed coffee head but I do make an exception and drink tea if I’m having Marmite toast. It’s one of those heavenly marriages. The brazil nut porridge sounds devine too, but I’ve discovered that if I have an open packet of nuts I can’t leave them alone so I’ve had to stop buying them. This is odd because other foods that I binged on pre wls are still in the house as my son eats them. But show me a pack of nuts and I’m a woman possessed

I buy really small packets of them Chris. I know they are calorific but they are also very, very good for you. They are one of my main sources of protein being veggie. It really is lush. Also nice with almonds and pistachio – in fact any nuts!

Doodah x

I still find it hard to leave anything and make great attempt every day to only give myself a small portion so that, if necessary, I can have a little more if I’m still hungry (it hasn’t happened yet in 5.5 years!) It takes months and months for our heads to catch up to the fact that will now only ever eat a little at a time. In fact, if a ‘normal’ sized meal were put in front of me now, I’m not sure I could even start to eat it as I know how much would be left and it would irk the living daylights out of me!

Doodah, you wrote this and it made me think of last week. Before my four weeks were up it was my birthday, and incidentally my husbands also as we share the same day. I planned a really lovely day as I thought I would be fine going out, so my daughter and I went to the poppies, and then I went to buy a present for my daughter (the oldest one was 21!). After that I scheduled a rest – boy I am glad I had done this. About food, I had taken a few bits with me but we had booked into a hotel and I had spoken to the chef before booking to check that they could prepare pureed food for me and he could not have been more helpful. So when I got there a ramekin dish of pea, chicken and parsnip was produced – great I thought. So after a trip to a gallery we had supper – this got more complicated as the kitchen was ready but all the restaurant staff needed me to go over exactly what I needed and it had to be repeated to about 5 different people – so embarrassing and unnecessary! However the second pureed meal arrived but this time about a cereal bowl full so I could only eat a very little and I hated to seem ungrateful. But breakfast was awful. I went down and they had scrambled egg . … great I thought but it was all lumps, so I requested to talk to the kitchen and asked for one egg very lightly scrambled and no lumps and nothing else. After a wait of 40 minutes I received more lumpy scrambled egg about 3 eggs in amount, hash browns, four pieces of toast and tomatoes – i burst into tears and eventually found a natural yogurt! I hated the waste as like you Doodah part of my problems have been finishing everything on my plate and truth be told others as well, and it seemed so ungrateful.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Fionajeweller 32759 wrote:

I still find it hard to leave anything and make great attempt every day to only give myself a small portion so that, if necessary, I can have a little more if I’m still hungry (it hasn’t happened yet in 5.5 years!) It takes months and months for our heads to catch up to the fact that will now only ever eat a little at a time. In fact, if a ‘normal’ sized meal were put in front of me now, I’m not sure I could even start to eat it as I know how much would be left and it would irk the living daylights out of me!

Doodah, you wrote this and it made me think of last week. Before my four weeks were up it was my birthday, and incidentally my husbands also as we share the same day. I planned a really lovely day as I thought I would be fine going out, so my daughter and I went to the poppies, and then I went to buy a present for my daughter (the oldest one was 21!). After that I scheduled a rest – boy I am glad I had done this. About food, I had taken a few bits with me but we had booked into a hotel and I had spoken to the chef before booking to check that they could prepare pureed food for me and he could not have been more helpful. So when I got there a ramekin dish of pea, chicken and parsnip was produced – great I thought. So after a trip to a gallery we had supper – this got more complicated as the kitchen was ready but all the restaurant staff needed me to go over exactly what I needed and it had to be repeated to about 5 different people – so embarrassing and unnecessary! However the second pureed meal arrived but this time about a cereal bowl full so I could only eat a very little and I hated to seem ungrateful. But breakfast was awful. I went down and they had scrambled egg . … great I thought but it was all lumps, so I requested to talk to the kitchen and asked for one egg very lightly scrambled and no lumps and nothing else. After a wait of 40 minutes I received more lumpy scrambled egg about 3 eggs in amount, hash browns, four pieces of toast and tomatoes – i burst into tears and eventually found a natural yogurt! I hated the waste as like you Doodah part of my problems have been finishing everything on my plate and truth be told others as well, and it seemed so ungrateful.

Oh Fiona, I completely understand how you felt about the breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day and for me, still, the hardest one to get right when out and about.

I also understand about having to explain yourself over and over. However, I don’t do it anymore. I am the PAYING customer and have the right to order the food as I want it. I sometimes only have a starter. I still get funny looks but no one actually asks why. I think if you simply order food without any explanation, it is easier. When you leave food, make sure the staff know you enjoyed it (and the same if you didn’t!) because they will feel bad if they think you left it because it wasn’t nice.

You can always ask for a smaller portion and explain that you are not asking for a reduced price, just less food. In truth, there are so many different dietary requirements these days, people mostly don’t bat an eyelid! They are too interested in what they are eating themselves or, if they are staff, making sure that you have a pleasant enough experience to warrant a tip.

I hope it didn’t completely spoil your Birthday weekend. Anyone who says wls is the easy way out needs to try it out for a week!

Chin up my lovely – onwards and downwards (on those scales) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I alway order tap water with my meal as the waiters struggle to understand that I don’t want a drink with my meal , it dosnt cost money and then I just leave it . I also have told them I need a smaller meal because I have had surgery on my stomach ,and that’s why I’m sorry I can’t I eat a big meal but your food was lovely

Lauren
    Keymaster

That almost exactly mirrors what I do too Kim.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media