Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Post op diet

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Soolie

Hello All,
    Looking for some help and guidance on what liquids I should have after I am banded in a fortnight a time.
    I want to be as organised as possible. Should I have tins of weight watchers soup in the cupboard? Or what do you recommend pls?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Soolie wrote:
    Hello All, Looking for some help and guidance on what liquids I should have after I am banded in a fortnight a time. I want to be as organised as possible. Should I have tins of weight watchers soup in the cupboard? Or what do you recommend pls? Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you

You don’t need to do weightwatchers soolie!!! Just plain soup ie carrot and coriander, chicken and lentil will be absolutely fine just pick around the lumps if need be.
    I always ate soup that was high in protein!!!

A tin of soup in the early days should do 3-4 meals!! ( I know how stupid that sounds when I could have demolished a tin in1 sitting lol)

Get your self some slim fast In as that will help with vitamins and protein!!!

I also made plenty of sugar free jelly or sugar free blamonge as that helps in the early days!!!……and most important WATER!!! I go through 24-30 bottles a week!!! This also helps with the toilet situation ;)!!

Personally for myself I don’t like milk so coffee was my luxury, going through a large jar a week…..since my op I havnt even bought a jar of coffee!!! It’s just water, water and more water!!!

Lisa

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Soolie 31209 wrote:

Hello All,
    Looking for some help and guidance on what liquids I should have after I am banded in a fortnight a time.
    I want to be as organised as possible. Should I have tins of weight watchers soup in the cupboard? Or what do you recommend pls?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Hi Soolie

As Lisa so rightly pointed out, water is the main fluid you will need post op. Your dietitian will tell you to concentrate on protein as it helps with healing. I would be cautious about using protein shakes unless you have OK-ed it with the dietitian first. Some wls providers don’t recommend them at all. I never used them and I’m vegetarian. I was perfectly ok on pulse soups and things like broccoli and Stilton ones. If in doubt, phone your team. they will not think you are wasting their time at all. It’s what they are there for!

If you haven’t already bought them, carol Ball’s bariatric cookery books are excellent s they cover every single stage of barbaric cooking:

RETURN TO SLENDER COOKBOOK IS HERE | Carol

Also check out the Bariatric Megastore for all things sugar free to make drinks more interesting!

Bariatrics megastore

Looking forward to hearing all about your journey 😉

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Lauren.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by clare.williams.
    Kimberly
    Participant

I made my own soups then I knew it was full of goodness , just boil up some chicken taking the skin off in loads of water for a few hours add some finely chopped up veg carrots , onions potatoes leeks parsnips , what ever you got in the fridge . Cook until tender then drain of the fluids keeping it as it has all the goodness . Then jus go through the stuff left over putting veg in the fluid . Strip all the meat of the chicken legs or thighs season to taste and low behold home made jewish penicillin .freeze in ice cube and then place in frezzer bags . On pot will last for ever , you can also blend it when defrosted .
    Or I was lucky and didn’t dump on tomatoe soups , which is my childish when poorly comfort food .

Lauren
    Keymaster

I dump on tomato soup 🙁 It is my fave too.

Soolie

@”Doodah 31234″ wrote:

I dump on tomato soup 🙁 It is my fave too.

Perfect thanks ladies, just the sort of info I am after…. Will check out the cookbook and store ty again xxx

Soolie

@”Soolie 31239″ wrote:

Perfect thanks ladies, just the sort of info I am after…. Will check out the cookbook and store ty again xxx

Is that like Heinz or homemade?

I drink loads of water anyway so will continue with that…I don’t really do milkshakes so maybe I should juice? Carrot, ginger, celery etc? What do you think?

Thanks so much
    Soolie xx

Kimberly
    Participant

Got to be Heinz , their a brilliant Baratric mega store with a link on here some where , I brought sugar free syrups and flavour milk and plain yogurts . The French vanilla I use in coffee and also burnt caramel . Defiantly worth looking at . They also have chewable vitamins , calcuim supplants and b12, I recommend Carole book it has some loverly recipes and very helpful. I was eating sloppy foods in hospital , so I had , weetabix, ready break , and just puréed dinners adding milk to make them sloppy and froze them in ice cubes.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Soolie 31241 wrote:

Is that like Heinz or homemade?

I drink loads of water anyway so will continue with that…I don’t really do milkshakes so maybe I should juice? Carrot, ginger, celery etc? What do you think?

Thanks so much
    Soolie xx

Hi Soolie

Please be careful with juicing. I would suggest avoiding the really tart acidic juices for a fair few months as they can really irritate your lovely new little pouch. You won’t have to worry about dumping with a band but you will have to watch volume on some of the more fibrous juices. your best bet is to just try it. Nutritionally it’s a good idea as it will also count as fluid. Fresh fruit smoothies are calorific too but you really won’t need to worry about that at first (I have never counted calories.)

The store Kim mentioned is the link I gave you in the previous reply Soolie. Well worth a visit, as are Carol Ball’s books. I also use her portion plate (barbaric) to keep my portion sizes under control.

It’s all so exciting isn’t it? but so much to learn I know. My poor little brain box was whirring the first few months! We are all here to help you every step of the way for as long as you need us.

Doodah x

Soolie

Thanks girls, I visited the site last night and ordered the cook book and CLICK Protein Drink Sachets – will defo check out the yogs etc. Whats this business of freezing things in ice cube trays – can you explain as I dont understand?

Thanks for the advice re juicing – ok will leave that alone for the first few months. I was warned at Slimming World about drinking fresh juice – orange, grapefruit etc, thought it was a good hit of Vit C.

Will invest in a few tins of Heinz then, its my absolute comfort soup, when I’m poorly etc, so that certainly wont be a chore!

So soups, Sainsburys low fat “Be good to yourself” type….

Soolie xxx

treeza

Hi Soolie & welcome. I’m had a bypass so I’m not sure there a whole lot of advice to give you but I’m pretty sure there are some lovely people who can. I wish you all the very best for your future. You’ve made a decision that will change your life for the better. I only have one regret & that is I wish i had the surgery sooner. Keep us up dated. We will be budging up the losers bench for you x

Lauren
    Keymaster

That is such a universal regret isn’t it? Mind you, I’m a firm believer in fate so maybe it comes to us at the right time – even if we don’t realise it? That loser’s bench must be a million miles long now lol! Still always room for more though.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi I’m sorry I haven’t been on for a few days but life a bit complicated ATM my mum poorly . As, we have tiny stomach after WLS it helps to frezze food dinner soups in ice cubes containers then place the cubes in a frezzer bag . When you Wanting a meal just defrost a few cubes , saves waste .

Lauren
    Keymaster

Saving on waste food is a real problem in the early days isn’t it?

I’m of the generation that were ‘encouraged’ to finish everything on their plate. My Dad was an evacuee in the war and was starved so, food waste in our house was a hanging offence. Then it became important not to waste food because half the world was starving and we were the lucky ones. This is all hugely relevant but it created the perfect storm situation for over eating: Oh the irony!

I still find it hard to leave anything and make great attempt every day to only give myself a small portion so that, if necessary, I can have a little more if I’m still hungry (it hasn’t happened yet in 5.5 years!) It takes months and months for our heads to catch up to the fact that will now only ever eat a little at a time. In fact, if a ‘normal’ sized meal were put in front of me now, I’m not sure I could even start to eat it as I know how much would be left and it would irk the living daylights out of me!

Anyway, I digress (NEVER?!?!) Be prepared Soolie, but don’t go overboard. The early days will see you only managing a few spoonfuls of anything. Build up gradually and most importantly of all – eat slowly and chew as much as you can to avoid anything getting stuck.

Do You Know The 20:20:20 Rule? | Uncategorized | Bariatric Cookery

This is link is all about the 20:20:20 rule for eating after wls. It’s very, very useful in the early days and beyond.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

That so true went to the hospital canteen to day and had bean on toast 2 slices of toast ( why?) eat half a slice to toast and beans lol and I though that was a tiny portion compared to my brother who had 3 bacon eggs sausages bean toast and fry bread !!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media