Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Post Op Diet – part 2

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » Post Op Diet – part 2

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hiya, I am now two weeks post op, I have been trying various foods, dumping has been a problem with sugar and it is with sadness I will have to say fair well to a major part of my life. It is hard to get my head round it, but I know that I cannot deal with having to take to my bed every time I have a yogurt with more than 6% sugar. I have an amazing mother-in-law who wanted to encourage me and has made me lots of small pots of different foods, however she was not really sure about proteins and has made high carb meals with little protein, or just veg soups. My instinct is that I need the protein. Any thoughts? Does any one have a fish recipe for just fish and a sauce that purées?

Lauren
    Keymaster

Return to Slender, the UK’s first bariatric cookery book | Bariatric Cookery

Hi Fiona. You are right that you need to concentrate more on protein, especially in these first weeks/months.

I have added the link (above) to Carol Ball’s Bariatric cook and recipe books. they also include useful and relevant tips on nutrition for the bariatric recipes you can try at every single stage.

try not to concentrate on what you are giving up, but instead on what you will be gaining – better health, better mobility, better social life, better clothes etc… I promise you it will all be worth it! 😉

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Fiona,

I don’t think that fish goes into puree as well as other proteins do. I recall buying some boil in the bag cod in parsley sauce and nearly flinging it across the kitchen in frustration because I couldn’t rub it through a sieve! I enjoyed it though after id moved on from puree to sloppy food.

Protein is very important as Doodah says, I did chicken casserole and lentil soup over and over in the puree stage, i know its dull but i saw it as a means to an end. Now, so long as I keep to low fat and sugar, my diet is as varied as the next persons.

Chris x

Kimberly
    Participant

I used the boil in the bag fish added mash and then purred it with a blizz thingy . Got mine cheep from asda x
    I wanted child hood recipes don’t know why but yellow haddock poached in milk , made a cheese sauce mash oh my goodness I’m drooling . Egg custard from Carole book is lovely full of protein .

Lauren
    Keymaster

I don’t eat fish and haven’t done since I was about 5 years old so I have no idea how it ‘behaves’ once cooked lol! However, my family say I make the best fish pie ever. It certainly looks very comforting. I prefer my vegetarian Shepherd’s/Cottage pie. SO easy to digest and very healthy. Freezable too.

I started out on freshly made soup (made by my lovely Sister) and as i progressed, she just left it lumpier and lumpier until it was a casserole. It was brilliant and kept me healthy and feeling loved. How lucky am I?

Doodah x

Thank you, I have just bought Carol’s book, I will try the custard. Another question for all you lovely helpful fellow losers. I have just started taking suppliments as I was told to wait two weeks post op. I seem to remember that I should take them at different time of the day, I have always taken meds first thing. I have to take asthma meds, and calcium as I am osteopenic (pre osteoporosis). The calcium tablets I have are three large tablets and this seems a lot for my new tum. Does anyone know of a single calcium tablet that gives the maximum dose with vitamin D, so I can take less in. Is there something about not drinking hot liquids with suppliments? Sorry I am confused.

Kimberly
    Participant

I was on so many meds when I first had my bypass that it was like breakfast lol now apart from sumplemnts down to just thyroid , aspirin and statin . I use to take some suppleness in the moring and some at night . I have also been using spray vitd3 and vitb12 which makes it a bit easier Baratric mega stores have mint calcuim yummy

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi

I think at first I was recommended to take a chewable multi vit but can’t remember how long I did that for. The nurse at streamline told me the opening to my pouch is the size of my little fingernail so if your tabs are bigger than that can you half them or crush them? When I was a few months in, the dietician advised me to take calcium in addition as I don’t do much dairy and wls can bugger up our absorption, although I just take a standard 800mg dose that I got at the chemist.

I frequently read on here about the raft of meds others are on and I know I’m lucky not to have major health problems as a result of years of obesity. My blood pressure was higher than it should have been but not enough to need treatment, and it is normal now. But I’m grateful I didn’t develop heart disease, diabetes, joint problems and all the other nasty stuff. I know there’s no guarantee these aren’t in my future, but I do know that wls has helped me work hard to reduce my risks

Chris x

Thank you Kimberley and BikerChris, I will keep taking the tablets in the morning, I tend to forget in the evening. You all are so helpful.

Lauren
    Keymaster

I still take quite a few tablets for various things (including asthma) and I mostly take them at night. Always with water. I bought a really useful little tool for cutting up tablets cleanly and evenly.

Aidapt Tablet Splitter: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

I can take most tablets whole now but every now and then I have to take monster ones! It’s easy to use and totally portable for holidays etc. Hope this is helpful.

Doodah x

treeza

Hi Hun
    Proteins are important but my dietician said not too worry to much in the beginning how much as it’s impossible to get sufficient in but to eat protein first if you have room move on to the veg & lastly carbs. I had soups, low sugar yogurts, soft peaches, well mashed potato with cheese in the beginning. You have to be so careful with the sugar & fat. You soon get used to it.
    Only just find out recently I should take supplements at different times. Didn’t even think about it really. The problem is if I don’t take them first thing I forget!
    Just remember you need to treat your new pouch like a baby & wean slowly! Baby steps x
    One tip from me start you day with a warm drink as it warms up your pouch. Doodah told me that & it really works for me x
    Keep up the good work x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@treeza 32697 wrote:

Hi Hun
    Proteins are important but my dietician said not too worry to much in the beginning how much as it’s impossible to get sufficient in but to eat protein first if you have room move on to the veg & lastly carbs. I had soups, low sugar yogurts, soft peaches, well mashed potato with cheese in the beginning. You have to be so careful with the sugar & fat. You soon get used to it.
    Only just find out recently I should take supplements at different times. Didn’t even think about it really. The problem is if I don’t take them first thing I forget!
    Just remember you need to treat your new pouch like a baby & wean slowly! Baby steps x
    One tip from me start you day with a warm drink as it warms up your pouch. Doodah told me that & it really works for me x
    Keep up the good work x

I honestly do think it warms up the pouch too. I’m not just using it as an excuse (as if i need one!) to have tea FIRST thing in the morning haha! Actually, my Mum has always done it so i just copied her. Tea is refreshing, comforting and quick to prepare.

Before wls, I used to have a cuppa, then wait about 20 mins, then have another with my toast. So, my morning habits have always been pretty similar to those i have now – except for the other brew with my toast. I hardly ever waiver from this ritual.It works so i’m not going to change it.

As for the supplements – on the dot of 10pm every night. I have a reminder on my phone. I carry some around in my bag so that even if I am out, I can take them. I sound like a maniac haha! But they are so important that I stick to the regime as if my life depends on it!

Thanks for sharing those suggestions Treeza. You now have me thinking of really ripe, juicy peaches….yum!

Doodah x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media