Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Port FAQ

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    cazza

Hi guys
    Has any bander had any problems with their port moving or twisting as when I went to have a fill and see the dietian Velia couldn’t get the needles in my port she was trying for ages both while laying and sitting and blunting 2 needles. So I have been referred back to Shaw Sommers also I have noticed that my left rib is aching again. Could something of happened whilst being sick as I do have belts of vomiting some days.

Cazza

Ms Ellie

@cazza 10598 wrote:

Hi guys
    Has any bander had any problems with their port moving or twisting as when I went to have a fill and see the dietian Velia couldn’t get the needles in my port she was trying for ages both while laying and sitting and blunting 2 needles. So I have been referred back to Shaw Sommers also I have noticed that my left rib is aching again. Could something of happened whilst being sick as I do have belts of vomiting some days.

Cazza

Cant offer any advice here but wishing you all the best sweetie lets hope its nothing to serious xxxx

kingfisher

Hi Cazza, I cant help you im afraid. Im sure it will be fine though. Keep us posted on what happens. x

SJ

Hi Cazza,

Being sick shouldn’t cause the port itself to twist, but the port can twist or flip sometimes of its own accord and usually a small op is needed to correct it. If the port has moved it could cause a bruised feeling the the left rib area, mine was a little lower, but I had a lot of rib area pain with mine. Sometimes ports can simply be pesky little so and so’s, and you might find that Mr Somers magical hands finds the port spot, so fingers crossed it could be as simple as that!

If you are being sick a lot though this can cause the band to slip etc, so be sure to discuss the vomiting with Mr Somers to find out if your band is too tight, or to establish why you are being sick so much. Sickness and bands do not go well together, and whilst a little sickness (pb-ing) is to be expected, you may need to revisit Bandster Rules with things like textures, speed of eating etc to make sure there is nothing you can do to get on top of this.

Good luck.

SJ

cazza

Thanks Guys
    I tend to find that I may not chew things enough when i’m sick where i’m hungry and try and rush that is my down fall when I take my time it’s so much better and I make sure I chew chew chew i’m vomiting less over the past couple of weeks but have noticed that under my left rib is a bit achy again so i’m hoping that Shaw can work his magic fingers on me .

Cazza

Paula

I still have a very visible tube shape and size on my lower left rib going from my port to where it disapears in my middle. This has been there since day one of my op, I presumed it would go down but it has not.
    Does any other bandster have this? non I know of do and I’m begining to worry as surgery was back in October.

kingfisher

Hi Paula,
    I dont have what you describe. What did they say about it when you had your fill done? iF IN DOUBT PHONE STREAMLINE. X

Paula

Hi Kingfisher
    The swelling is not noticable when I lay down so he would not have noticed it while I had my fills, and I didn’t say anything as I presumed it was normal to have swelling were the tube lays.
    I’m even more worried now….. however I have got another fill tomorrow afternoon but its not with Chris its with one of the others – can’t remember his name, so i’ll mention it then.
    Often my bra bone presses on it and it feels like I can feel it tugging on the band on the top of my stomach – however thats probably just my avid imagination!
    Its re-assuring having others of the same time and surgery type to share worries with – even if symptoms and problems are different.
    Thank you Kingfisher

Nicki

Hi, just wandering if anyone can give me some idea of what happens when the port moves, over the last 3 weeks I have noticed it slowly moving sideways, I had a fill 2 weeks ago and there was no problems filling it but since then it has completely moved sideways and is uncomfortable. I am due to go back for another fill thursday 26th feb and am now feeling anxious as to wether they will be able to fill it and how are they going to make it straight again. Look forward to any advice anyone can give me. Thank you.
    Nicki x x x

hides

Hi nicki
    I can offer you no advice, apart from phone your nurse/hospital straight away….. You cant wait till end of feb, we are still in jan and it is worrying you now. You cant wait another 3/4 weeks. Or at least phone and speak to someone.

I have a band, and “touch wood”, i haven’t had any problems, however my mum has…. She went for a fill before christmas, and was told the port had twisted. She wasn’t in any pain, but the nurse was unable to do fill, and she was told she had to see the surgeon. She waited another 3 weeks. It was sorted last week, and was told it was down to how the surgeon stitches the port in place.

Please speak to someone, best wishes and let us know how you get on.
    heidi.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@hides 21402 wrote:

Hi nicki
    I can offer you no advice, apart from phone your nurse/hospital straight away….. You cant wait till end of feb, we are still in jan and it is worrying you now. You cant wait another 3/4 weeks. Or at least phone and speak to someone.

I have a band, and “touch wood”, i haven’t had any problems, however my mum has…. She went for a fill before christmas, and was told the port had twisted. She wasn’t in any pain, but the nurse was unable to do fill, and she was told she had to see the surgeon. She waited another 3 weeks. It was sorted last week, and was told it was down to how the surgeon stitches the port in place.

Please speak to someone, best wishes and let us know how you get on.
    heidi.

What Hides said. Phone the hospital for advice. Don’t leave it. Hope you get on ok.

Doodah x

hevthefev

Hi all,went for my first band fill today only to find that my port has flipped……Boo Hoo!…..Thank you Sammy for your support today xx:

Nettie

Hi Hev,

Sorry to hear this, so what has to be done now?

Nettie xx

hevthefev

Hi Nettie, nurse said surgeon will need to flip it back,just waiting to hear when they can fit me in

Doodah
    Keymaster

Aw Hev, that is such a nuisance. Thank goodness they discovered it so soon and it can be sorted for you.

Keep us in the loop if you can.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media