Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Plus size model debate

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

‘People were actually clapping’: Size 14 model Denise Bidot on being the only ‘plus-size’ model in Serena Williams’ runway show  | Daily Mail Online

Hi guys

Just found this on the Streamline Facebook page and thought it was interesting.

This model is a USA size 14 which is a UK size 18. Do you think it is a good idea to include larger models in mainstream fashion shows or it is normalising obesity/overweight?

Really interested to hear what you think about it.

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Having to be careful what I say her, being a bloke but is 18 really a plus size anymore, if you look on any high street up and down the country, size 18 looks to be more average than plus. so the question should be is it wrong to use an average size model. So if you are selling clothes to the average size customer whats wrong with showing them on an average size model, how else are you supposed to gauge what its going to look like on you.

For me the bigger question (no Pun Intended) is if fashion designers are saying my rags only look good on stick thin models why do anyone not stick thin buy their rags, the designers are say you won’t look good in this so why buy it in the first place.

Either that or all models should be long legged brunets around the old traditional English size 8 to 10 and a size 34b bust, but that’s the bloke talking :whistle:

Paul

bikerchris
    Participant

I enjoyed reading the story and all credit to Denise for her modelling career. There has been a good deal of debate on this topic, those for plus size models say that they aim to appeal to the average woman and average women are certainly not the waifs that you normally see modelling. The argument is that seeing unrealistic images of womanhood increases women’s anxiety about their bodies and appearance and that increases in the occurrence of eating disorders are linked with this. Interestingly, I have never heard men discussing that the appearance of male models with their six-packs and perfect figures makes them feel inadequate.

Then those against will say that it normalizes obesity and those who are overweight will have less incentive to lose weight if they can buy high fashion. I know one high street store (can’t remember which) has courted a lot of controversy by introducing plus size mannequins in their stores.

Here is what I find most interesting. According to the scales, I am still obese as my BMI is 30+. I have to say that it is only just over 30 and I very much hope it will be under 30 in the next few weeks, However, I don’t feel obese. Most of my clothes are a size 16 and I’m active, I don’t get pain and breathlessness and sweat a bucket when I walk like I used to. I have normal blood pressure. So if I’m a size 16, I am slimmer that Denise Bidot but there is no way I’d ever look as good in that dress. In fairness, I have nearly 20 years on her and I don’t have an army of stylists, make-up artists and hairdressers at my disposal. She doesn’t have to try to disguise her saggy skin.

Ultimately, I have to decide why it is that attaining a healthy weight is important to me. Is it to look good and to meet the criteria of someone’s ideal woman which Paul readily told us about (not getting at you Paul, honestly) or is it to be healthy and live well. The answer is probably a combination of both.

Chris x

audrasharon

don’t know how anyone can object (anyone with a brain that is!) models should represent real people, short, tall, fat, thin, able bodied or disabled if your beautiful on the inside that’s what lasts a lifetime and shine through everything!

Lauren
    Keymaster

These are brilliant replies.

I agree with Sharon that models should be all sizes and shapes. Kate Moss is considered to be somewhat of an anomaly as she is ‘only’ 5′ 7″ tall! Surely if you want to sell your designer clothes to ‘real’ women then they should come in all sizes and shapes?

Where are the short models? Disabled models? Victoria Beckham (allegedly) starves herself to stay a USA size 0 so that she can model her own clothes. This is madness in my opinion. What harm to her body is she storing up for the future? I don’t think you would have a male designer (of male clothes) doing the same thing somehow. Imagine if they had to achieve the looks of David Gandy!

I also agree that asking women to achieve the ‘perfect 10′ is unfair. Girls are much taller now. If they were to attain the magical size ten at their height, they would be underweight. Size 10 is fine for a 5’ 3″ woman – as these ideals were decided in the 1950’s. Girls are that height in their early teens these days!

I also find it odd that regular models are not chosen for their facial beauty. Some are very ‘unique’ looking. The same cannot be said for plus size models. They are almost exclusively beautiful, facially. It’s as if they have to make up for being plus sized by being just about as pretty as it is possible to be.

Anyway, that’s enough of my rant. I wrote an essay on this about 20 years ago for my Psychology class – absolutely nothing has changed. All rather depressing really!

Doodah x

I really like to see models smiling, I love larger, older, curvier models, and ones with actual boobs as well. You mention Victoria Beckham, her shop has just opened and all the clothes on the shop floor were a size 10 or less!

Lauren
    Keymaster

I don’t think I could ever be so miserable because I am hungry all the time just to be a size zero (UK size 4.) VB is painfully thin. What sort of message is she giving her children?

Hats off to Debenhams for using larger NORMAL size mannequins in their stores where appropriate. I get annoyed that people associate ‘thinness’ with health. Size is actually immaterial – health is what really matters.

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Speaking as someone who used to work in the business, many many years ago, there is a reason why all fashion models are thin and “Unique” looking or but ugly as we used to say in the none politically correct days.

They are thin because the designers can not design clothes that look good on larger models, but they are happy for the larger customer to not look good in their clothes, and the models are “Unique” looking so that the punter would rather look at the design than be distracted by an attractive model. The where the odd exception but that was often more to do with who the model in question was sleeping with, and they where often called “Super Models”.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 32657 wrote:

Speaking as someone who used to work in the business, many many years ago, there is a reason why all fashion models are thin and “Unique” looking or but ugly as we used to say in the none politically correct days.

They are thin because the designers can not design clothes that look good on larger models, but they are happy for the larger customer to not look good in their clothes, and the models are “Unique” looking so that the punter would rather look at the design than be distracted by an attractive model. The where the odd exception but that was often more to do with who the model in question was sleeping with, and they where often called “Super Models”.

Paul

Paul, I think you are right yet it pains me to say it.

My Mum has been saying this for years. My Mum could not have been a model as she is a tiny wee thing of about 5′ 1″ (on a good day) but she was the spitting image of Shirley MacLaine. We women have curves for a reason so I simply don’t understand why so many of us make ourselves miserable and unhealthy to get rid of them. I like my curves even though I will never look good in ‘designer’ clothes. Besides which, I could never afford them!

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media