Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Planning is essential

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with you all. I’m nearly 3 years post op and I’m pretty good at managing day to day life with my bypass. I plan ahead and usually make good choices.

Unfortunately today threw me a curved ball. I was supposed to be working at home but I had IT problems. I was also committed to taking my mum to an important appointment in the middle of the day but had deadlines to meet at work. So I dashed into the office at 8am and stayed till 10. Then came away for a few hours then went back to work. By about 3pm I was wondering why I felt so awful and assumed it was just the stress of the day. Actually I’d forgotten to eat, apart from a satsuma which I’d grabbed while sprinting out the house. It sounds like madness as I write and I felt a fool.

These days I’m used to food not being the be all and end all of my life but I realise now how important it is to make sure I always have something suitable to hand. Where i work there is no nearby healthy option (choice between a vending machine full of crisps and chocolate or a KFC). Fortunately I was able to take 20 minutes to drive to a supermarket to get some chicken and yoghurt. I also bought some nuts to keep in my desk drawer in case I have another day like today. Lesson learned.

Chris x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Chris, thank you SO much for sharing this experience so candidly.

I know it is drummed into every one of us that we must keep hydrated and are encouraged to always have a bottle of water handy, but you have highlighted just how important it is to keep snacks on us to cover every eventuality.

I am almost nine years out and can still get caught off guard. My go-to is a decaf half-fat latte. I always have some nuts with me too. Not exactly ideal but at least it isn’t full of chemicals and other ‘nasties’! My aunt was a diabetic and taught me to always have something to eat in my bag as she used to take extra sugar lumps in case she had a hypo. I wish I liked dried fruits like raisins, currants etc as they are good too (bypassers need to be careful of natural sugars though.)

You are obviously still working really hard with your wls tool, Chris. I take my hat off to you 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media