Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Personal milestones.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi guys

I know there are other threads on here about our personal milestones but they are often quite outdated. This is because as we get brilliant at this wls mullarky we go off and lead the healthier fuller lives we so wanted for ourselves. I feel a bit like a Foster Mum haha! We come on here all scared and wondering what the frilly heck we have got ourselves into then within months we are out and about having a fabulous life and no longer have time to check in. That’s exactly what is MEANT to happen.

However, I think it would be great if everyone could take just 5 minutes to share how far they have come and how they are doing – good or bad. We have never swept anything under the carpet on here so if anyone is struggling, we want to know. If we don’t know how can we help?

So, I will start: had my open (10cm scar) bypass and gallbladder removed July 2008. Total lost through wls 15st (another 7 by plastics so far) and am looking forward to be well enough to progress with my second phase of plastics in July. Co-incidentally, it will be almost a year to the day from my original surgery date! I’m now employed and have met a whole new amazing circle of friends by the ‘pebble in the pond’ reaction that happens with wls.I have a life. Don’t know what more important gift Mr Shaw Somers could have given me.

Over to you guys now…….

bakes28

That is fantastic. Well done.

I start my pre-op diet on Monday and have my band fitted on 12th so haven’t yet started my journey.

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

This is quite timely for me as its been a year since my surgery, well almost as I had my bypass on the 29th February, It was a leap year last year.

At the start of my Journey I was 24 stone, and by the time I had my surgery I had managed to get that down to 21 stone. Everything went fine with my surgery and was out after the expected two day stay.

I actually managed to reach target after only 7 months and now 5 months later I am still at the same weight, even managed to go through Christmas without putting an ounce on,

I only had one problem post surgery but that was medication related and nothing to do with the surgery, Remember that the dose of medication you need when very overweight might be very different to when you are not, in my case it was Morphine so watch out if you start feeling unwell after shedding quite a few stones.

As I said I started at 24 stones and today I am just under 14 stones which gives me a BMI of 26 still over weight according to the charts but is good enough for me, I am over 6 foot tall so 26 is good.

I have never regretted my surgery and will be eternally grateful to my GP for pushing my applications through, including lodging an appeal when my funding application was turned down, I didn’t even know it had been turned down until after his successful appeal on my behalf and obviously MR Guy Slater and the rest of the wonderful Team at St Richards Hospital.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bakes28 27839 wrote:

That is fantastic. Well done.

I start my pre-op diet on Monday and have my band fitted on 12th so haven’t yet started my journey.

You know what? I believe our journey starts the minute we take the first sip (or mouthful depending on which one you do) of our pre op diet. It’s the starting point. So, you absolutely are on your journey!

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 27841 wrote:

Hi all

This is quite timely for me as its been a year since my surgery, well almost as I had my bypass on the 29th February, It was a leap year last year.

At the start of my Journey I was 24 stone, and by the time I had my surgery I had managed to get that down to 21 stone. Everything went fine with my surgery and was out after the expected two day stay.

I actually managed to reach target after only 7 months and now 5 months later I am still at the same weight, even managed to go through Christmas without putting an ounce on,

I only had one problem post surgery but that was medication related and nothing to do with the surgery, Remember that the dose of medication you need when very overweight might be very different to when you are not, in my case it was Morphine so watch out if you start feeling unwell after shedding quite a few stones.

As I said I started at 24 stones and today I am just under 14 stones which gives me a BMI of 26 still over weight according to the charts but is good enough for me, I am over 6 foot tall so 26 is good.

I have never regretted my surgery and will be eternally grateful to my GP for pushing my applications through, including lodging an appeal when my funding application was turned down, I didn’t even know it had been turned down until after his successful appeal on my behalf and obviously MR Guy Slater and the rest of the wonderful Team at St Richards Hospital.

Paul

Fantastic Paul and Happy Oppiversary! To get to your goal weight in such a short time is nothing short of miraculous! It took me 18 months to lose 15st and I thought that was quick lol!

I too have never, ever regretted my decision. Not even when I’m so cold I could cry! Well done on your success.

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am now nearly 2 years post bybass surgery. I had my bypass done at St Richards Hospital Chichester on March 23rd 2011 by the lovely Mr John. At the start of my journey I weighed in at nearly 25 stones and I have my lovely GP who suggested that I had the surgery and started the ball rolling by what ever she said in the letter she wrote the funding people because within a fortnight of applying for funding I had been granted it and the rest as they say is history. I managed to lose over a stone on the milk diet and I sailed through surgery and was home after the two days and I have never looked back since. I lost ten stones the first year and I have struggled this past year to get another stone off but I don’t mind this as long as it is not going back on and I can say here and now hand on my heart IT IS NEVER GOING BACK ON AGAIN, I have been given this second chance of life and I am not going to mess it up. I am so much more healthier now, can walk, even run without getting out of breath, go to the gym and swim every week and I am living life to the full, I even managed to pass my driving test last year, not bad for an old bird who is 60 in a few weeks time. I just love life now and all that it can offer me, 60 nah I feel 30 and I am enjoying living for the first time in my life. I am having a small problem now which has been caused by the WLS but it is only a small problem and if I have to give up carbs for the rest of my life so what small price to pay for how I feel now. I have never regretted having the surgery just very very thankful, grateful to my GP and Mr John who gave me this chance and believed in me.
    Elaine xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Ganny 27858 wrote:

Hi All,
    I am now nearly 2 years post bybass surgery. I had my bypass done at St Richards Hospital Chichester on March 23rd 2011 by the lovely Mr John. At the start of my journey I weighed in at nearly 25 stones and I have my lovely GP who suggested that I had the surgery and started the ball rolling by what ever she said in the letter she wrote the funding people because within a fortnight of applying for funding I had been granted it and the rest as they say is history. I managed to lose over a stone on the milk diet and I sailed through surgery and was home after the two days and I have never looked back since. I lost ten stones the first year and I have struggled this past year to get another stone off but I don’t mind this as long as it is not going back on and I can say here and now hand on my heart IT IS NEVER GOING BACK ON AGAIN, I have been given this second chance of life and I am not going to mess it up. I am so much more healthier now, can walk, even run without getting out of breath, go to the gym and swim every week and I am living life to the full, I even managed to pass my driving test last year, not bad for an old bird who is 60 in a few weeks time. I just love life now and all that it can offer me, 60 nah I feel 30 and I am enjoying living for the first time in my life. I am having a small problem now which has been caused by the WLS but it is only a small problem and if I have to give up carbs for the rest of my life so what small price to pay for how I feel now. I have never regretted having the surgery just very very thankful, grateful to my GP and Mr John who gave me this chance and believed in me.
    Elaine xx

Oh, Elaine, what a fantastic post. thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

I’m constantly surprised that people think only the ‘young’ should have weight loss surgery. WHY? People are living healthily into their eighties now so why shouldn’t ‘middle-aged’ people get the chance to make the second half of their lives flippin wonderful?! I was 48 when I had mine and am living again just like you. I’m 54 this year and have (god willing) another thirty years yet 😉

Love your enthusiasm and determination. Well done indeed on your fab achievement 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media