Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Paul’s weight loss journey

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s a mental merry-go-round isn’t it when you are told to try to stop losing? All the years of lose, lose, lose replaced by maintain, maintain, maintain.

My little Niece has a medical condition that makes it almost impossible to gain weight. She is barely 6 st. We are all constantly trying to think of ways to help her gain a little. She is 15 now and acutely aware that she is much smaller both in height and weight than her friends. My Sister adds extra virgin olive oil to every single meal my niece has as it’s highly calorific but good for you. She also uses nuts, avacados, seeds and cheese.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning 😉

Doodah x

ps Society is so wrapped up with obesity that we forget it can be just as hard to NOT be able to gain weight that is desperately neeeded. Her friends are not at all sympathetic as they would love to be size zero 🙁

katy

Hey paul, you are right, I was just after you on the 5th march. Would have been the same time as you but was cancelled at the last minute! All that stress seems a lifetime away now!
    I am still trying to get my head around the ‘eat more calories’ mantra and am not doing well at the mo…have dropped another half a stone in the last two weeks….but I had my first pudding in months tonight! Bariatric friendly fruit crumble….made with sweetener (and a bit of butter to keep the dietician happy) …it was blooming lovely!!
    Who says you can’t eat well after a bypass??!!
    Katy x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Just keep trying Katy. Your body will find and keep it’s own healthy body weight in the end – it just takes time. It can take up to three years so don’t be discouraged. So long as you remain healthy you will continue to reap the benefits of all your hard work 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi Katy

Yep I was lucky, I missed the big round of cancellations in February by 1 day, so mine went ahead as scheduled. It was a worrying week though as no one could tell me what was going on untill the day before my surgery was due. What a nightmare that was, glad to hear they didn’t delay your by much as a result, I can only imagine how you felt.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Wise words 😉

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

Just popping in for an update.

Not been on the scales since I was told to go into maintainance mode about 6 weeks ago.

Got on them today just to check on how much I had put on, and what did I find, I found I had managed to drop another 2.7kg whilst trying to stay the same, I am now in the high thirteens, hopefully Christmas will help about.

Mind you at 13.8 stones and being over 6 foot tall the stupid BMI calculator still says I am over weight at 25.6.

I will have to watch this though as loosing too much can be just as easy as putting too much on.

By for now and wishing everyone a good Christmas.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Paul. Don’t want to ‘pee on your chips’ but your BMI is actually lower than that if you take into account your excess skin. I lost 7lbs in 4 hours after my apronectomy lol!! You are so good the way you just keep on keeping on. And thank you so much for sharing it with us. I for one really enjoy reading your updates. Long may they continue 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi Guys

Not much of an update but today is my 1 years oppiversary so I had better do a quick one.

My weight is still about the same as my last weighing at 91 Kg so the maintenance mode is still working, I even went through Christmas without putting much if any on.

I have what I hope to be my last appointment at St Richards on Monday.

Thanks to everyone who has given me help and encouragement over the last year.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Happy Oppiversary Paul. It’s been an absolute honour to walk beside you in your journey this past year. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing it with us on here too. It’s brilliant to have a guy’s take on things 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi Guys

One more quick update.

I had my final appointment at St Richards on Tuesday, all went well and I have now been discharged.

Now got to keep myself under control all on my little lonesome, well not really but it sounds good.

Its been a wonderful year finally getting my eating and body under control thanks to WLS, the Wonderful team at St Richards, all those on here that have helped, my GP for pushing for funding and finally my PCT for the actual funding.

Thank you to everyone.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 27947 wrote:

Hi Guys

One more quick update.

I had my final appointment at St Richards on Tuesday, all went well and I have now been discharged.

Now got to keep myself under control all on my little lonesome, well not really but it sounds good.

Its been a wonderful year finally getting my eating and body under control thanks to WLS, the Wonderful team at St Richards, all those on here that have helped, my GP for pushing for funding and finally my PCT for the actual funding.

Thank you to everyone.

Paul

Biggest thank you should go to YOU Paul. You did all the hard graft yourself. Well done that man and congratulations on all your success. Also, huge thanks for your regular input and wise words on here. You have been a massive help to so many of us.

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

just a quick update.

Can’t believe its 3 years today that I had my Bypass at St Richards, still doing well my weight is about half a stone up from my minimum but still well under control.

Finally said goodbye to my diabetic medication, well actually that was 12 months ago and everything is fine in that department now as well.

Still say its the best thing I have ever done and would recommend WLS to anyone in a heart beat.

Don’t get on here as often as I did, but I still pop in just to see how everyone is doing.

Bye for now

Paul

Lelly

@Paul-H 33312 wrote:

Hi all

just a quick update.

Can’t believe its 3 years today that I had my Bypass at St Richards, still doing well my weight is about half a stone up from my minimum but still well under control.

Finally said goodbye to my diabetic medication, well actually that was 12 months ago and everything is fine in that department now as well.

Still say its the best thing I have ever done and would recommend WLS to anyone in a heart beat.

Don’t get on here as often as I did, but I still pop in just to see how everyone is doing.

Bye for now

Paul

That was brilliant reading your posts, you have done so well, it is really important to people like me who are waiting for surgery to read these updates, it is what keeps us going during our long wait. I have been told probably July for my bypass, I know I shouldn’t moan but I just want it now, so that I can start to repair the damage that I have done to myself, what a prat I have been and what a waste of all those years. Take care Paul, you are a star

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 33312 wrote:

Hi all

just a quick update.

Bye for now

Paul

Hi Paul.

Great to hear from you!

Happy Oppiversary. I cannot believe it’s three years! You have done brilliantly. I hope you are as proud of yourself as we are! Coming off your diabetes meds is absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing your good news. It’s so encouraging and inspirational for the newbies and the soon-to-be patients.

The fact that you don’t get much time to come here now proves that wls has given you back your life – and a better one. I’m truly thrilled for you.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Lelly 33313 wrote:

That was brilliant reading your posts, you have done so well, it is really important to people like me who are waiting for surgery to read these updates, it is what keeps us going during our long wait. I have been told probably July for my bypass, I know I shouldn’t moan but I just want it now, so that I can start to repair the damage that I have done to myself, what a prat I have been and what a waste of all those years. Take care Paul, you are a star

It really is inspirational isn’t it Lelly?

Lelly, will you do something for me? Will you stop blaming and being so hard on yourself please? Be kind to yourself. Obesity isn’t all about being greedy or making bad choices. Some people do exactly the same yet stay a ‘normal’ weight.

Please watch this little video. It is due to go on Streamline’s Facebook page later, but I want you to see it now. I’m sending you a virtual hug because I can’t bear the thought of you blaming yourself for everything 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FncRa72tizc&feature=youtu.be

I would actually like everyone to see it so I am going to post it under it’s own thread. It may make things clearer to everyone that we are not stupid, lazy, greedy or hopeless.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media