Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Pasta = Pain!!!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    tinkly_roars

Hi All

I thought i would write and let you know about my first bad reaction to food. I’m 3 weeks post op and having consulted the dietician have just started to move from the puree to soft food stage. My diet advice sheet said that i could have ravioli and although i knew that some of you had a problem with eating pasta, i’ve also read that a few of you don’t, i thought i’d give it a try.

I cut each piece of tinned ravioli into 4, and thought i’d chewed it all really well before swallowing. I managed to eat around 4 and a half pieces then stopped. All was well for about 20 minutes and then……OMG! The pain started in my chest/stomach region. I couldn’t handle any kind of restriction on my tummy and chest and ended up heading for my bed wearing no more than my birthday suit!! (spare the blushes of a laaaady!!). About 45 minutes later the pain subsided but by then i had tried lying on my side, my back and then finally having to prop myself upright was the most comfortable position.

I’m assuming that the reason for the pain is that the pasta continued to swell in my little pouch but i’m not really sure. Is this what part of the dumping syndrome is about? Could it be that i still ate too quickly? Really fairly certain that it wasnt about not chewing properly as would imagine the pain would have come along sooner!

I’m obviously not keen to repeat this experience again in a hurry so will be leaving pasta alone for a long while!!!

Tinks x

mandyl

hi tinks,
    hope ive not upset you 🙁
    i think it does have something to do with it swelling up
    i had some last wk and never ever again. it was agony. lovely streamliner suggested windeze tabs and thankfully the pain went. took 2hrs mind you. hope your ok . hugs mandy x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Tinks,
    I must be a lucky one as me and pasta are getting on ok at the moment. I tried a chicken and rice dish last week and all was great had it again on Monday evening only had two mouthfuls and I just knew that it was not going to be good and up it all came and again last night with fish and veg, pouchie was not happy and again it rejected it, tonight I had crackerbread with low fat cheese spread and tomatoe and pouchie’s favourite at the moment strawberries and I have managed to keep hold of it. This food lark is not easy.
    Elaine xx

Emily.p

Hi Tinks

Sorry to hear things didnt go to well.

I have never had a problem with pasta I live of it now as it works so well for me. Its very werid how everyone is so different. Perhaps leave it for a while and try again when your on more solid food to see how you get on with it.

Emily

tinkly_roars

@Emily.p 16311 wrote:

Hi Tinks

Sorry to hear things didnt go to well.

I have never had a problem with pasta I live of it now as it works so well for me. Its very werid how everyone is so different. Perhaps leave it for a while and try again when your on more solid food to see how you get on with it.

Emily

Hi Emily

Yes i thought id give it another go in a few weeks time but this time I’m going to cook it myself and make sure its really really soft before eating. If that doesn’t work i might give fresh pasta a go as i’ve read somewhere that that might be better for our little pouches.

Tinks x

Anonymous

Awww Tinks, sounds like a bad dump, but so late after you have eaten will suggest it settled in your pouch and expanded…..

Please consider if eating something around now that might congeal up when chewed to take a couple of mouthfuls and walk around a little, a few mouthfuls and walk around, it will help the dietry tract move things along and hopefully lead to less experiences… just for now….

I had one or two episodes where the pain clear knocked me off my feet….. I never made it anywhere but a crumpled mess on the floor….

Thing is for now, is to learn, move on and come back to it at another time….. it might be a few days tender so back to basics and give it a chance…

Rules remember NO DRINKING 30 minutes either side of eating…Pasta and Nuts swell like you wouldnt believe…..

Its not to say another day wont be different……. give it a couple of weeks or more and try again…. if you like pasta that is…

Buzz xxx

Sally Bailey
    Participant

Hi Tinks

What’s in tinned ravioli? The filling I mean?! If it was something high in fat like sausagemeat or mince, that could be the culprit more than the pasta itself. just a thought hon.

It’s shockingly painful the first time it happens isn’t it? Hope it won’t put you off trying again at a later stage. It’s still early days for you.

Sally x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Aw Tinks

It’s flippin rotten when it happens for the first time, feels like something REALLY bad is happening. At least you know the op is doing it’s job I guess?!

Good point by Sally about what’s inside the ravioli. Reckon making your own is a much better bet 😉

How are you feeling now?

Love Doodah xx

Emily.p

HI Tinks

I started with tinned raviolli and was fine but I know only have fresh pasta or pasta I cook myself and have been fine so I think your right with leaving it for a few weeks and giving it another go.

Emily

tinkly_roars

@Doodah 16323 wrote:

Aw Tinks

It’s flippin rotten when it happens for the first time, feels like something REALLY bad is happening. At least you know the op is doing it’s job I guess?!

Good point by Sally about what’s inside the ravioli. Reckon making your own is a much better bet 😉

How are you feeling now?

Love Doodah xx

Hi Doodah

I think the filling was a pork mincemeat – I checked the label and it fell within the 5g of fat and sugar so should have been ok. I think the next time i have pasta it will be when i’ve cooked it so that i know its saturated with water before i take a bite!!

Feeling ok now but have just had another bout of pain – this time due to having tuna and cous cous salad. Think it was a bit on the dry side and so it was getting stuck on the way down. I also think i’m trying to eat too quickly (funny how the greedy devil within you doesn’t want to go away!!!). Oh well, i suppose this is all in the learning of how to eat with a new pouch and particularly learning to adapt to the changes from puree to soft food stage!!

What will tomorrow bring??……

Tinks x

tinkly_roars

@Buzz 16313 wrote:

Awww Tinks, sounds like a bad dump, but so late after you have eaten will suggest it settled in your pouch and expanded…..

Please consider if eating something around now that might congeal up when chewed to take a couple of mouthfuls and walk around a little, a few mouthfuls and walk around, it will help the dietry tract move things along and hopefully lead to less experiences… just for now….

I had one or two episodes where the pain clear knocked me off my feet….. I never made it anywhere but a crumpled mess on the floor….

Thing is for now, is to learn, move on and come back to it at another time….. it might be a few days tender so back to basics and give it a chance…

Rules remember NO DRINKING 30 minutes either side of eating…Pasta and Nuts swell like you wouldnt believe…..

Its not to say another day wont be different……. give it a couple of weeks or more and try again…. if you like pasta that is…

Buzz xxx

Thanks for the tip on walking Buzz. I’ve just been pacing the garden following my lunchtime disaster of tuna and cous cous salad. What am i going to do when i go back to work tho??…….

Tinks xx

Emily.p

Oh I still cant do cous cous and scared to try it again I did get ill from it it just sat very heavy and coz of this I havent tried rice yet either but really want to I guess I should soon and give it ago.

Emily

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Tinks,
    Next time try the fresh pasta I get on great with that mine you I do cook it within an inch of its life so it is really soft. I was going to try cous cous but chickened out of it MIGHT give it a go when I am feeling braver. My trouble is I eat to quick some days I remember and some I don’t and then I pay for it.
    Elaine xx

Emily.p

Elaine

I am the same with trying rice I keep chickening out of it but I will try it soon as I used to love rice! Yes some days I do that aswell I get all rushed and eat to quick and have to remind myself to sit back and slow down it isnt a race to finish my food! Old habits die hard!

Emily

Ganny
    Participant

Emily,
    Tried rice a couple of weeks ago and it went and stayed down lovely, really chuffed that it had agreed with me as like you I do like rice, tried it again a couple of nights ago and pouchie was having none of it and it didn’t stay there long, might have been my own fault might have ate to quick, going to try it again tomorrow night and eat slowly.
    Elaine xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media