Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Pain and Wind with the Gastric Band

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mands

Hi all

Am 3 days post op with the gastric band and im really miserable !! … wasnt expecting to feel like this cos hey i have finally achieved something i have been fighting to get done for 4 years.
    The constant wind in my belly .. i cant burp or pass wind properly as there seems to be no pressure there to help push it out sorry for being so descriptive but i feel i have to be for people to understand exactly where i am at the moment with this.
    It still hurts slightly if i take a deep breath and around the port well its ok when im sitting down or lying down but when i am moving around sometimes i have to walk doubled over as it feels like its really pulling .. i guess this is where my muscle and stomach is still swollen … i read other peoples stories and how by day 3 after the gastric band they are up and back to normal .. i cant even sleep on my normal side still in bed as that is the side the port is now sited on so i just feel miserable and tired.
    Someone please tell me they have felt this after a band and that it does get better …

Mands x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Mands 27559 wrote:

Hi all

Am 3 days post op with the gastric band and im really miserable !! … wasnt expecting to feel like this cos hey i have finally achieved something i have been fighting to get done for 4 years.
    The constant wind in my belly .. i cant burp or pass wind properly as there seems to be no pressure there to help push it out sorry for being so descriptive but i feel i have to be for people to understand exactly where i am at the moment with this.
    It still hurts slightly if i take a deep breath and around the port well its ok when im sitting down or lying down but when i am moving around sometimes i have to walk doubled over as it feels like its really pulling .. i guess this is where my muscle and stomach is still swollen … i read other peoples stories and how by day 3 after the gastric band they are up and back to normal .. i cant even sleep on my normal side still in bed as that is the side the port is now sited on so i just feel miserable and tired.
    Someone please tell me they have felt this after a band and that it does get better …

Mands x

Hi sweetheart

I know I haven’t had a band but I know literally hundreds of people who have and I’m telling you that you are totally normal.

I recently went to stay with a friend after she had hers and the thing she found the most irritating was the wind. That’s what is causing your stomach to be swollen. The surgeons pump you full of air to make sure that there are no leaks in the stapling and for some reason, it gathers up in your shoulders (air rises?) and sits there for days. The very best thing for it is walking as it will disperse it. It will be uncomfortable but we are talking a few steps around the house here, not a walk into Town and back. Peppermint tea and ‘Windeze’ tablets also help.

Everyone is different – both physiologically and psychologically so what one person finds uncomfortable, another will find excruciating. Just go with the flow, take regular pain medication, drink loads of water and get sufficient rest interspersed with a bit of walking.

It’s also quite possible that you are experiencing a bit of post op blues. I had it after my recent apronectomy. On day three I was as miserable as heck and thought I’d done the worst possible thing I could to myself. It passed and by day five, I was much better. However, my most honest advice? Be kind to yourself. Be as kind as you would be to anyone else. You deserve it. In two weeks time, you will feel absolutely wonderful and won’t remember any of this!!

Anyway, don’t worry about feeling that you should be feeling better than you do. How other people feel after theirs is of no concern to you really – it’s how YOU feel that’s important. We are all here for you ok? This is going to be the best adventure you have ever been on. I promise.

Have a great weekend, put your feet up, spoil yourself (bit of internet shopping for the new clothes you will need?) and dream about all the things you are going to do when you are healthier and happier.

Doodah x

Mands

@Doodah 27560 wrote:

Hi sweetheart

I know I haven’t had a band but I know literally hundreds of people who have and I’m telling you that you are totally normal.

I recently went to stay with a friend after she had hers and the thing she found the most irritating was the wind. That’s what is causing your stomach to be swollen. The surgeons pump you full of air to make sure that there are no leaks in the stapling and for some reason, it gathers up in your shoulders (air rises?) and sits there for days. The very best thing for it is walking as it will disperse it. It will be uncomfortable but we are talking a few steps around the house here, not a walk into Town and back. Peppermint tea and ‘Windeze’ tablets also help.

Everyone is different – both physiologically and psychologically so what one person finds uncomfortable, another will find excruciating. Just go with the flow, take regular pain medication, drink loads of water and get sufficient rest interspersed with a bit of walking.

It’s also quite possible that you are experiencing a bit of post op blues. I had it after my recent apronectomy. On day three I was as miserable as heck and thought I’d done the worst possible thing I could to myself. It passed and by day five, I was much better. However, my most honest advice? Be kind to yourself. Be as kind as you would be to anyone else. You deserve it. In two weeks time, you will feel absolutely wonderful and won’t remember any of this!!

Anyway, don’t worry about feeling that you should be feeling better than you do. How other people feel after theirs is of no concern to you really – it’s how YOU feel that’s important. We are all here for you ok? This is going to be the best adventure you have ever been on. I promise.

Have a great weekend, put your feet up, spoil yourself (bit of internet shopping for the new clothes you will need?) and dream about all the things you are going to do when you are healthier and happier.

Doodah x

Doodah all i can say is you are an inspiration … At the moment if i am honest i am hanging in there .. this is much harder than i thought it would be and thats just being post op and trying to get used to how my body is xxxx

brown69owl

Hi Mands

I had a band back in May , the wind is really uncomfotable but it does get a lot easier , I found peppermint tea the best and also lots of walking around . I had to sleep on my back for quite a long time .
    I am now 7 months down the line and just over 5 stone lighter, so all the wind is worth it and in a few days you will feel SO much better .

Take care and get lots of rest.

Jackie x

natalieyoung

Ah Mands don’t worry I felt the same. I had a band fitted in November and when I got home I cried my eyes out was in agony thought to myself what the hell have I done but believe me it gets better it won’t be long til the wind goes and u feel back to yourself.

lynne903

It took me about a week before I felt remotely normal again. I had to sleep propped up as I couldn’t lie flat or on my side because of the pain. I promise it does get easier. There were many times when I questioned whether I had done the right thing or not, now I know I have! I have now lost just over 2 stone, I’ve dropped a dress size and people have started to notice which is the best thing. I’ve also started dance classes – Zumba, street dance, tap and ballet! (I haven’t done tap and ballet since I was about 10!). I’ve even been asked to take part in the dance school annual show doing tap – I would never even have considered doing it before I had my band. I can honestly say it has changed my life in so many ways for the better, it has given me so much more confidence than I ever dreamed it would and I’ve still got 3 and half stone to lose yet!

Try to stay as active as you can but don’t overdo it. Don’t push yourself too much and don’t beat yourself up if you are struggling with things, different people heal at different paces. I was told I would need 3 weeks off work as my job involves a lot of heavy lifting – I was nowhere near ready for returning by this point and was 8 weeks post op before I went back!

Keep thinking about the reason you put yourself through this in the first place and look forward to seeing the results. It’s not an easy option and you will have ups and downs – it’s a very emotional time. Keep popping on here – the support is amazing and everybody has different tips and advice to give. Good luck with your journey and your new life.

Lynne
    x

Coolgirl426

Hey!

I was the same babes! It does get better! I had my band three weeks ago and I feel almost back to normal.

Gigi

Mands

Hi all

Today was a much better day … i feel better emotionally and physically … one of the dressings are off permanently and the other 3 scars are healing very well seeing that alone made me feel better …. i still feel the pull on the muscle from the port when i stand up and walk about or sit down but i managed to more or less lie on my side that i sleep on normally this morning with the aide of a pillow … i think from the way i am typing you can see i am in a better place … 🙂 …. weight loss is coming down still, since i started the milk diet i have now lost nearly 2 stone, i need to set up one of those ticker things lol … beginning of January this year i weighed 20 stone 10lbs i now weigh 19 stone and dropping so that is brilliant .. have also been out around the shops today and i live up 7 flights of stairs lol just going up and down them is a major thing so … i am glad i had this surgery done and i am so glad that i am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel post op xxxxx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media