Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Overwhelmed

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Well, today is the first day I have left off the dreaded compression garment and I have to say it feels VERY weird! Actually not as comforting as I had thought. I feel I am no longer being ‘hugged’ if that makes any sense at all. However, I am never putting it back on haha!

My scar is now sealed. No dressings or plasters and I have been able to have a really long soak in a bubble bath. I can even sleep on my side again woo hoo! I think when all the swelling has gone down (it can take months) everything will look wonderful and even if it is never perfect, I will never again have to lift up my apron of skin to dry it and put cream on to stop it becoming infected. Utter bliss.

I’m still careful when lifting things and when I get up from lying down, I try to remember to turn on my side first and use my arms to lever myself instead of just sitting up using my stomach muscles.

I’m now planning ahead and will probably have my arms and breasts done at Easter so that I will have someone at home with me all the time for two weeks. Being home alone after 3 days meant I had to fend for myself a bit too soon I think. Oh the wisdom of hindsight eh?

Anyway, thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping me through this. It means more than I can say (without getting all teary-eyed!)

THANK YOU xxx

Doodah x

brown69owl

So pleased to hear you are getting better , funny how we miss sleeping on our side !

Take care of yourself
    Jackie x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thanks Jackie . Isn’t it though? I can sleep on my back but it’s so much better on my side!

As a foot note to not wearing the compression garment – it’s much colder haha! That’ll teach me won’t it?

Doodah x

Whitey

Hi Doodah glad to hear you are healing well and you are feeling better. I missed sleeping on my side immediately after my bypass. Is there a reason why you had your tummy done first? Is it because this op is bigger and more painful than the arms & breasts? Thank you for being so honest and open about your experiences. Elaine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Elaine

I’m always honest as I don’t see the point in flowering things up and misleading people.

I asked Shaw Somers in which order to have my surgeries and he said that the hardest part to recover from is the arms so to have them done last. When I discussed this with Mr bennett (who is a colleague of Shaw’s by the way) he suggested arms and breasts at the same time. So that’s what im going with.

I hope things go a bit smoother next time but I have a few health problems that will always make it slightly trickier for me. Hence the timing issue!

hope this helps.

Doodah x

Sue

You are one very brave lady!

All the best for the next instalment….

Claire

janie61

Hi there,

Is that forty pounds a leg?
    Jane

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi Sue

Good to hear its all Healed up nicely and good luck with the next batch of surgery.

Talking of sleeping on your side, oddly enough with me for years I have only been able to sleep on my left side, but since loosing weight I nearly always sleep on my back and also don’t move an inch now, which is good as I often wall asleep with my iPad perched on my stomach and its still there when I wake up. Very odd.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Paul, you really do make me giggle. You are like my husband – could sleep for eight hours on a washing line lol!

He too wakes up with his glasses still on and his iPad on his tum. I move about all night long becuase his snoring keeps me awake! Hence the spare room getting plenty of use ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Glad it’s not only me!

The night of my bypass I had to sleep on my back, well not quite true I got hold of a couple extra pillows so wasn’t flat on my back. First thing I asked the next morning was ask if I could sleep on my side, wow sleep how ever you like front, back or side, first night was a little uncomfortable second night was bliss! Now been sleeping on my front or side for the seven weeks post op. I sympathise with the snoring,and falling asleep on the back and in our house the spare room gets regular use too, but not by me!!!!

(((( hugs )))) Doodah glad everything is progressing for you and that you are taking excellent care of yourself xx

@Doodah 26637 wrote:

Paul, you really do make me giggle. You are like my husband – could sleep for eight hours on a washing line lol!

He too wakes up with his glasses still on and his iPad on his tum. I move about all night long becuase his snoring keeps me awake! Hence the spare room getting plenty of use ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I drove for the first time yesterday!! Only five miles to our local M&S megastore to buy….control pants….but my life, I can feel it today. Who would have known that we use our stomach muscles so much to drive?!

I bought control pants as, even though I’m delighted to have ditched the compression garment, I still don’t feel ‘safe’ without something holding me in. I got the really high waisted one as I also have a vertical scar. However, being vertically challenged, I fear I may have to tuck them into my bra haha! Proper passion killers I can tell you :-O

Doodah x

yep the core muscles which go around the middle of your body are definitely not something you want messing with, when my first operation where I had the mesh insert panel put in started to heal and the feeling came back OMG! prior to that though even slightly moving forwards on the toilet to reach behind me was a massive deal ๐Ÿ™‚

Just continue to take good care of yourself ok Doodah xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thanks my lovely, I will ;-))

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Have my 6 week check up with Mr Bennett at Spire Portsmouth on Thursday. I think he will be pleased with my progress. The wound is all healed now and apart from the odd twinge and some swelling/numbness, I am tickety-boo. I bought some firm control high waist pants to wear during the day for a few more months as, although I hated that compression garment with a passion, I feel a bit ‘naked’ without something holding me all in place! They are not cheap though – ยฃ20 per pair.

I will also discuss the right time to have the second phase of my surgery. I’m thinking in the Easter holidays as my husband will be home with me for two weeks (teacher) so I can get 100% rest. More compression garments to buy and wear ๐Ÿ™ I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have a bath/shower then not have to struggle with overhanging skin in underwear and clothes. Or (sorry may be a bit TMI for some of you) having to make sure that underneath the apron of skin is totally clean and dry to avoid/treat infection. I no longer have to tuck it into my pants haha!

I’m having my breasts done for the same reason. However, my arms are being done because of the sheer weight of the ‘bingo wing’. The weight of the skin in total is likely to be about a stone. That’s a stone of dead weight my poor back and neck have been carrying around for 3 years. It will be fabulous to be rid of it. I have a tiny frame so it’s probably about 10% of my total body weight. Can you imagine this tiny little frame having to carry about 26+ stone? How did I cope and more to the point: survive? 26 st on a 5′ 3″ body – that’s asking so much of it isn’t it?

We should be very, very grateful to our bodies for not giving up despite how we have abused them. Some people are not so lucky. Even though they get wrecked our bodies still do their very best for us every day. We owe it to our bodies to give them a break right?

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media