Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Out of control

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    janie61

Now let’s not carried away eh…lol
    Janie x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 32503 wrote:

Now let’s not carried away eh…lol
    Janie x

Why not? I now have a completely different job than before my surgery! I know quite a few others who have done the same too. Never say never….

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Since this thread turned into posts about positives, i’d like to add to it, although this post doesn’t sound very positive to start with.

My Mum, who is 82, dislocated her hip on Saturday and has been through surgery to replace it and has remained in hospital since. Now here is the positive, thankfully I was with her at the time and because I now have new energy and fitness, I was able to be up and down the stairs to tend to her and help when the ambulance arrived. While she has been in hospital I’ve done her housework and hung curtains and pictures for her as she had some decorating done last week. I even went in the loft to get down a zimmer frame and other equipment she will need.

Now I know I’m only doing what any daughter would do, but just 4 months ago, I’d have not been able to do these things. I’m amazed by the energy I now have.

Chris x

janie61

Hi Chris,
    Isn’t it amazing how we are transformed. I’m going to concede defeat your positive far out ways mine and I really don’t mind because it’s lovely to here that you were able to care for your mum,without having to struggle and feel a failure trying to do so. WELL DONE YOU…..
    Janie x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32505 wrote:

Since this thread turned into posts about positives, i’d like to add to it, although this post doesn’t sound very positive to start with.

My Mum, who is 82, dislocated her hip on Saturday and has been through surgery to replace it and has remained in hospital since. Now here is the positive, thankfully I was with her at the time and because I now have new energy and fitness, I was able to be up and down the stairs to tend to her and help when the ambulance arrived. While she has been in hospital I’ve done her housework and hung curtains and pictures for her as she had some decorating done last week. I even went in the loft to get down a zimmer frame and other equipment she will need.

Now I know I’m only doing what any daughter would do, but just 4 months ago, I’d have not been able to do these things. I’m amazed by the energy I now have.

Chris x

How absolutely wonderful for both you and your Mum. I have always sad that the positive effects of wls are like a pebble in a pond – the benefits reach so many people: often unexpected or ones we haven’t considered.

Fab post. thank you so much for sharing it and I wish your Mum avery speedy recovery.

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Thank you. Mum came home Wednesday evening and is doing well. I’m a very busy girl with helping her, a full time job and a dog to walk, but I feel blessed and grateful that I can do all this

derlooker
    Participant

Help.

I have been out of control again for a while with my eating.

I had a bad experience about a year ago when on a night out. I was sexually assaulted in a public place. It was a horrid experience. What’s worse is that emotionally it put me back in a place where on the surface I had a happy smile but underneath it I was struggling and keeping all my feelings to myself. And making very poor food choices. I have gained back quite a lot of weight and have got into bad habits again, not planning meals, not eating at the table and also drinking with meals.

I don’t know quite what to do. I never make it to any of the bariatric groups although that might help. Anything to get out of my isolation and denial. When I eat mindfully I don’t overdo it when I eat n company I don’t overdo it so maybe that might help.

Any ideas or assistance would be great.

Anna-Lisa

janie61

Hi there, I am sorry to hear of your bad experience. Firstly did you report it to the police? Secondly you need to seek help from your GP. Just sorting out your eating is not going to fix the situation. You cannot change what happened but you do need to deal with it psychologically, so by going to the Gp you should hopefully get some counselling. There is is also a victim support group, I don’t know their name but if you google sexual assault victim support you should be able to get contact details. I hope this helps, remember, you are important and you must look after yourself, don’t let one person undermine your success and please do get help.
    Janie x

Kimberly
    Participant

I’m so sorry to hear what happened to you .but thank you so much for trusting us and sharing how terrible it’s been . I posted a private message with some contact phone number that you might find helpful.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@derlooker 32509 wrote:

Help.

I have been out of control again for a while with my eating.

I had a bad experience about a year ago when on a night out. I was sexually assaulted in a public place. It was a horrid experience. What’s worse is that emotionally it put me back in a place where on the surface I had a happy smile but underneath it I was struggling and keeping all my feelings to myself. And making very poor food choices. I have gained back quite a lot of weight and have got into bad habits again, not planning meals, not eating at the table and also drinking with meals.

I don’t know quite what to do. I never make it to any of the bariatric groups although that might help. Anything to get out of my isolation and denial. When I eat mindfully I don’t overdo it when I eat n company I don’t overdo it so maybe that might help.

Any ideas or assistance would be great.

Anna-Lisa

My darling Anna-Lisa, I had absolutely no idea this had happened to you. No wonder you are struggling with your food choices. You must be in total shock. as the others have said, I hope you reported it to the police and that the person who did it pays.

Teaching granny to suck eggs here, but it might help if you applied for counselling or therapy. Also, support groups really do help. I’m afraid our bodies often react to trauma in a way over which we often have no control whatsoever. There is no other recourse than to ask for help in my humble opinion.

If you would like to meet up just on a one to one, I am more than happy to do that. All I can offer is my ear, my friendship and my understanding but it’s yours should you need it.

Please don’t try to cope with this alone anymore. You don’t have to x

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Dear Anna-Lisa,
    Just wanted to echo some of the recent posts and say I’m sorry to hear of your experience, I do have some insight. My only slight disagreement with what has been said earlier is that whether or not you speak to the police is your choice. You might find it easier to make that decision after you’ve engaged in some talking therapy, whether formal or informal.

I chose not to take any action (for reasons too complex to go into here) but I did talk extensively. My conclusion was that what happened has no reflection on my worth as a human being, but it said a lot about the perpetrator. I hope you can find peace.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Anna-Lisa i have sent you a private message.

Doodah x

derlooker
    Participant

Dear Doodah, Kimberley and Janie,

Thanks so much for your kind replies. I am so grateful. I took the bull by the horns and went to the doctor yesterday and have a referral on its way through. I am not sure how long it will take but the doctor has been really helpful.

One thing I did not mention was the insomnia that I have had since it happened. I have been using food, mainly sugar to knock me out and get some sleep, as mad as it sounds I know I will dump on it and it will make me sleepy if only for a few hours.

I have been using I like a drug. The gp suggested some good things to help me prepare for bed and also has prescribed some sleeping tablets for a week to help me get in to a better sleep pattern hopefully.

I am going to try to make the support groups near to me and thought it might be a good idea to contact streamline as I have seen on their website that they can help with emotional eating.

On the whole I feel a lot more positive today.

Thanks again for your help

Lauren
    Keymaster

I’m so glad you are feeling a bit better.

I truly believe in the power of support from others who have had similar issues in life. I also think support from people who understand how food can be used to self medicate can be invaluable too. I have no doubt that you will receive a warm welcome from any groups you choose to attend.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I have sent you a PM again 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media