Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Out of control

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    janie61

Hi all,
    I have not posted on here for ages but after two years out from surgery I still look at the forum posts every day. Well my problem is that I seem to be out of control, there doesn’t seem to be the same restriction anymore and I am thinking about food constantly. I removed the main triggers for my food addiction after surgery and have not reintroduced them but now it just seems to be food in General. I JUST WANT TO EAT. I now realise the honeymoon period is over and I will never have a normal relationship with food.
    Janie

treeza

Hi Janie I’m sorry your struggling at the moment. I think the fact that you have recognised that your feeling out of control is a good thing & I’m sure you will be strong enough to get back on track! Have you gained any weight? Are you just eating more or are you also eating the bad foods? Have you thought about doing the 5 day pouch thingy? Try writing a diary of your foods & if there are any triggers? Maybe put a picture up of yourself either at your smallest or biggest maybe both? I’m just coming up to 1 year post op so I can only make suggestions Hun x I hope you can get back on track soon. I know you can do it :0)x try not to be too hard on yourself because if your anything like me it’s like pressing the self district button & I end up spirally downwards x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 32401 wrote:

Hi all,
    I have not posted on here for ages but after two years out from surgery I still look at the forum posts every day. Well my problem is that I seem to be out of control, there doesn’t seem to be the same restriction anymore and I am thinking about food constantly. I removed the main triggers for my food addiction after surgery and have not reintroduced them but now it just seems to be food in General. I JUST WANT TO EAT. I now realise the honeymoon period is over and I will never have a normal relationship with food.
    Janie

Hi Janie and welcome back!

You say you just want to eat all the time and are obsessed with food but can I ask you this – are you hungry? Properly hungry? If the answer is yes then you are possibly not eating enough protein. It keeps us fuller for longer. If the answer is no then may I suggest a) keeping a food diary to see why you are eating without hunger and b) maybe consider some sort of therapy to discover why you don’t have a good relationship with food.

I had three years of therapy before my wls and have to say it helped enormously. I just asked my GP to refer me. I did have to wait for it but I’m so thankful that I stuck with it. Come on here regularly again to be with like-minded people who understand fully what you are going through and will offer support and advice totally free of judgement. What about joining a support group if there is one near enough to you?

Like Treeza says, the fact that you have come back and told us all about your ‘glitch’ shows that you are still in control, even if it doesn’t seem like it! Please make your GP your first port of call and get some help with this. All is not lost.

Doodah x

janie61

Hi Treeza and Doodah, thank you for your replies. Can you be addicted to bread and carbs, it seems that I want more food after eating them. Yesterday I stuck to the little ramekins of veg and fruit and I have not been so bad today. I have also ditched the plates back to my little pots I feel that plates are free license to gradually add more and more. I also need to stick to times it seems that I cannot be normally around food and the eating when hungry is a no go it’s like my mind can say its hungry whenever it feels like it. For me no normality so back to rules and regs of Bariatric wl eating. I am interested to here other peoples comments on the bread/carb issue.
    Janie

janie61

By the way I am now a lacto vegetarian almost vegan.
    Janie

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 32423 wrote:

Hi Treeza and Doodah, thank you for your replies. Can you be addicted to bread and carbs, it seems that I want more food after eating them. Yesterday I stuck to the little ramekins of veg and fruit and I have not been so bad today. I have also ditched the plates back to my little pots I feel that plates are free license to gradually add more and more. I also need to stick to times it seems that I cannot be normally around food and the eating when hungry is a no go it’s like my mind can say its hungry whenever it feels like it. For me no normality so back to rules and regs of Bariatric wl eating. I am interested to here other peoples comments on the bread/carb issue.
    Janie

Hi again Janie

Since having my bypass six years ago, I have become vegetarian as I found it so difficult to digest animal protein. I would say without a doubt that, for me, carbs are definitely addictive. I’m not ‘safe’ around them. BUT I have had six years to learn to restrict them to ‘real’ food rather than junk.

That’s not to say I don’t have treats – I DO! But I have them rarely: special occasions really. But that’s how ‘normal’ people are. It is still early days for you so I think your idea of cutting them right back is a good one. Maybe a chat with a dietitian might help. How to wean yourself to need less of them. I’m no clinician or dietitian but I’m pretty sure you can’t cut them out altogether. I think an chat with a dietitian would be the best course of action for you and in the meantime, keep a food diary to keep tabs on the triggers that send you searching for carbs.

Hope this is helpful. It’s such a tough one 🙁

Doodah x

janie61

Hi Doodah,
    I find it difficult to get adequate choices in my diet due to vegetarian restrictions, I can’t eat eggs they make me feel nauseas, I cut out the cheeses as it was the full fat cream cheeses that I liked and I don’t eat meat as all I can smell or taste when I am cooking it is salt and fat. I’ve turned into a really fussy person from someone who would eat anything.
    Jamie

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 32429 wrote:

Hi Doodah,
    I find it difficult to get adequate choices in my diet due to vegetarian restrictions, I can’t eat eggs they make me feel nauseas, I cut out the cheeses as it was the full fat cream cheeses that I liked and I don’t eat meat as all I can smell or taste when I am cooking it is salt and fat. I’ve turned into a really fussy person from someone who would eat anything.
    Jamie

You know what though Janie, is that such a bad thing? I have become the world’s fussiest eater but at least it proves 100% that we are considering everything we eat now instead of just troughing it!

I’m no dietitian but I eat LOADS of nuts, pulses and seeds to make sure I get the right protein intake. I have also learned to love quorn. The little cocktail sausages are so nice, I have had to hide them from my meat loving son! And my quorn scotch eggs! I have porridge with Brazil nuts in (and a pinch of either cinnamon or nutmeg) every day for my lunch. It’s cheap, quick and absolutely delicious. It can be flavoured with anything. I sometimes have blueberries or raspberries (fresh) or any other fruit I can digest well.

Cheese isn’t the enemy. I actually have Parmesan grated over everything. It is full of fat but when grated, a tiny amount goes such a long way so the fat/calories are minimal.

Vegetarian Recipes, Healthy Eating Meals, Vegan Food, Low Calorie Diet

If you check out websites like this one, you could (with a bit of tweaking for fat/sugar) try something new almost every day! Be brave and try new things. I used to hate olives but when I realised how good they are for you, I persevered and now I love them!

Doodah x

janie61

You know Doodah, it’s not a bad thing (less choice) but sometimes I think I just get stuck,in a rut. Thank you for the link. Some of the recipes look really nice.
    Janie

Lauren
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Janie. I think everyone, no matter what their eating regime, can get stuck in a rut. I have started trying to be brave about food in the past 6 months and have even eaten some blue cheese. Only a weeny bit on a water biscuit but it was so nice to have a new, strong flavour. I think quite a few of us have said that our tastes have changed significantly after wls.

Just remember, we have the whole of our lives to try out new stuff now, instead of the limited amount of time that a fair few of us had before wls. If we are going to live longer, it gives us more time to experiment right? I’m up for that!

Doodah x

janie61

Your absolutely right. I am seeing the dietitian on friday it’s my final appointment then flying solo as they say, a little bit daunting.
    I have also found that everyone is used to me being thinner now so I don’t get any more encouragement or compliments I must admit that I do miss that side of things.
    Janie

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Janie
    i can eat meat but really since my by pass don’t like it much . How about a bean burger or a chick pea and carrot burger . Theirs a good book out in asda I think it £7 recipes that are mainly vegetarian and cheep it called a girl called Jack who feed her and her little bot on a budget of £15 !!!!!! I love the chickpea carrot and coriander burger it works out at £1 for 6 . Also drink 2 litres might help the hunger . How about getting your old before and after pics out and reminding your self how far you come .or write your self a rain day letter telling your self how you overcome so many thing to get where you are now . Also come on the forum we all in this together ,

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 32436 wrote:

Your absolutely right. I am seeing the dietitian on friday it’s my final appointment then flying solo as they say, a little bit daunting.
    I have also found that everyone is used to me being thinner now so I don’t get any more encouragement or compliments I must admit that I do miss that side of things.
    Janie

I think you are right about missing the compliments – they are very ego boosting and we all probably need that once in a while! So, instead of waiting for other people to compliment you, how about doing it yourself? Write down all the things you like about yourself and put them ion your fridge. They don’t have to be weight related either.

Let’s all this right now: Three things we like about ourselves.

Mine are:

1. I have a good sense of humour
    2. I am patient
    3. I have a great memory

Right, so, I would like to hear all of your now please everyone!

Doodah x

janie61

Erm….?
    Janie

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 32451 wrote:

Erm….?
    Janie

Well?!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media