Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

On my way no turning back now

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The NHS, General Medical & Funding for Weight Loss Surgery ยป On my way no turning back now

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    wilkin47

I feel privileged that I have got nhs funding and after six months of journeys back and forth to Luton and Dunstable from Norwich I am on the pre op diet and have a date 21st nov. Now the panic has started to set in. Have very supportive hubbie and children but still terrified of having the op and I guess thinking I will not wake up. I have 7 out of the 8 co-morbidities so this is not for wanting to look good although this will be a bonus. Still apprehensive of people’s reactions and what they may be saying behind my back. My extended family think I am brave and think it is very positive so that’s all good but only just telling some people at work before I actually have the time off.

treeza

That’s great news! When do u start the milk diet? It will all go really quickly now. As long as you have a supportive family behind you, you will be fine. Try not to worry about other people. Some will be delighted for you others no so much. You are doing this for you & your family. Your on your way to a happier & healthier life. Let us know how your getting on x

wilkin47

Day 4 of milk diet. Will be ok when I get past day 7. Am doing it for 3 weeks instead of 2 as want to be really sure liver is ok for op. did it for five weeks during pre-op assessment so this should be easier. Believe it or not my coping strategy is baking it keeps mt hands busy and I don’t have a sweet tooth. Have found all the pots and comments so encouraging can’t believe I am on the verge of something so major in my 50th year. Would be interested to know how long people have taken to get back to work. I am under pressure getting everything sorted before I go off as my job is unique to my organisation and feel I am really leaving my two teams to muddle through. Have to keep thinking I need to be selfish and think about myself. Have never been off for more than Two weeks holiday at a time and 3 months each time when I had my girls all those years go. Managing two 24 hr services split on two sites and on call 24/7 has taken its toll. Time for a rethink on priorities I think!

treeza

I’m a paediatric nurse in A&E & I ended up being off for 10 weeks the last 4 were made up of 2 weeks annual leave & then occ health not able to see me for a further 2 weeks & wanted to see me before returning! I’ve also just finished 4 weeks return to work programme! Tomorrow is my first 12 hour shift since op!! Eek! It’s more the energy levels being on your feet 11 of the 12 hours!

Wow 3 weeks on milk diet I only did 2! With that type of determination your going to do great!

The forum & all the wonderful people on here have most certainly helped me through pre & post op! I reached my first goal today & should reach my 2 by next week! A goal I would never have thought possible 3 months ago! Your journey has begun & I’m so happy for you x

One thing I would say is you do need to become a bit selfish to begin with because for this to work you really have to look after yourself & listen to your body! Work will cope. Good luck x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@wilkin47 29805 wrote:

Day 4 of milk diet. Will be ok when I get past day 7. Am doing it for 3 weeks instead of 2 as want to be really sure liver is ok for op. did it for five weeks during pre-op assessment so this should be easier. Believe it or not my coping strategy is baking it keeps mt hands busy and I don’t have a sweet tooth. Have found all the pots and comments so encouraging can’t believe I am on the verge of something so major in my 50th year. Would be interested to know how long people have taken to get back to work. I am under pressure getting everything sorted before I go off as my job is unique to my organisation and feel I am really leaving my two teams to muddle through. Have to keep thinking I need to be selfish and think about myself. Have never been off for more than Two weeks holiday at a time and 3 months each time when I had my girls all those years go. Managing two 24 hr services split on two sites and on call 24/7 has taken its toll. Time for a rethink on priorities I think!

Hi there.

Your story sounds almost identical to mine! Facing fifty and an early demise!

My one bit of advice over all others? Put yourself first for once. If you improve and save your own life, everyone else’s will be improved beyond measure. All your family and friends want is for a happy healthy you. You will now have the tools to make it happen. Not only will your own life improve beyond almost anything you can imagine but you will be giving your family the one thing they wish for more than anything else – you. Happier and healthier for longer. There is no greater gift.

I’m so excited for you. I know what lies ahead and although it will sometimes be so tough you will question what you have done, ultimately you will have achieved a minor miracle!! Wls in the tool you have to master to build your own future. It’s exciting, scary, frustrating and rewarding all at once so any time you need help and support – just shout. We are all here for you willing you on.

I love this bit! Seeing all you lovely people blossom into the happy healthy people you deserve to be ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

wilkin47

Just had my evening meal – two pots of jelly and a mug of hot milk, nom,nom!!
    Trying to stay calm and focused at work but difficult as it is so busy and I am down on staff at the moment. Don’t want my blood pressure to go up any more ahead of my pre op assessment on Thursday. Will make some more jelly up tonight, lot cheaper than buying the made up Hartley pots, can get three out of each sachet. Pyjamas and slippers bought, got a lovely Ted Baker wash bag for my birthday so all set for 21st just really worried I will pick up bug or flu beforehand and not be well for surgery, last thing I want is for everything to be delayed.

Forum is soooo helpful and supportive feel as though I am part of the family already!

Kimberly
    Participant

So excited for you

treeza

You turn soon Kimberly. I understand how Doodah feels now! Your all amazing people & your lives are about to change for the best x keep going your doing great x :0)x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@wilkin47 29816 wrote:

Just had my evening meal – two pots of jelly and a mug of hot milk, nom,nom!!
    Trying to stay calm and focused at work but difficult as it is so busy and I am down on staff at the moment. Don’t want my blood pressure to go up any more ahead of my pre op assessment on Thursday. Will make some more jelly up tonight, lot cheaper than buying the made up Hartley pots, can get three out of each sachet. Pyjamas and slippers bought, got a lovely Ted Baker wash bag for my birthday so all set for 21st just really worried I will pick up bug or flu beforehand and not be well for surgery, last thing I want is for everything to be delayed.

Forum is soooo helpful and supportive feel as though I am part of the family already!

You ARE part of this family already! This really is the best bit – everything to look forward to. It’s better than Christmas! You will be certain that you will get the gift you want and it will be a long lasting one – not one you will have used up or got bored with after a few months! A gift of and for life. SO excited for you ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@treeza 29821 wrote:

You turn soon Kimberly. I understand how Doodah feels now! Your all amazing people & your lives are about to change for the best x keep going your doing great x :0)x

BRILLIANT isn’t it Treeza?!

wilkin47

Had my pre op assessments to, all ok so now countdown to the 21st just panicking now that. Will pick up cold or bug and not be well for op. stood in a queue today with someone coughing and sneezing, yuck! Any tips besides alcohol gel and bit c?

Lauren
    Keymaster

I know this sounds stupid but how about wearing a scarf and putting across your nose and mouth when around people who are obviously ill!? I do it all the time as i have to be so careful about picking up bugs. Just a thought/

Doodah x

wilkin47
    Doodah wrote:
    I know this sounds stupid but how about wearing a scarf and putting across your nose and mouth when around people who are obviously ill!? I do it all the time as i have to be so careful about picking up bugs. Just a thought/

Doodah x

Doesn’t sound stupid at all especially in public places, thanks for tip. Juliaxx

Kimberly
    Participant

Brilliant about scarf ideal . If I could I put my self in isolation for the next two weeks lol at one point considered it . But then I miss my family and friends

Lauren
    Keymaster

I went to a Remembrance service yesterday to see my lovely sister sing with the Military Wives. It was in the New Forest and bitterly cold. I wore a fake fur scarf around my face all the time we were outside and no one batted an eyelid. Bring back the balaclava I say! If only it didn’t have the terrorist connotations today ๐Ÿ™ They were such a sensible winter wardrobe essential! I’d have a bright red and purple one with a pom pom on the top. And I would wear it! Wish I could knit….

Anyway my lovely, keep warm, avoid sick people and drink plenty of water. I’m hopping with excitement for you – well, bending my knees up and down anyway haha!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media