Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Not lost anything over a month post op

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Band » Not lost anything over a month post op

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    shazber

I had my gastric band 5th sept and I’ve not lost anything so I’m really upset I have my first fill oct 10th please tell me I’ve not wasted my time and more importantly my money

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Shazber and welcome.

I’m not a ‘bandster’ so I can’t speak from personal experience, however, if you check the other threads under ‘Gastric band first 6 months’ you will see many instances of people not losing until they have their first band fill. You have to hit what is called a ‘sweet spot’ with just the right amount of restriction.

Also, please remember that losing is a much slower process with a band. Don’t be tempted to want the same results as a bypass. The procedures are quite different.

No doubt a wise and wonderful band patient will be along to answer your question which would be better in the above thread I mentioned. Do you want me to put it there for you? Please keep in touch. Where are you and who did your op?

Doodah x

Nettie

Hi Shazbar,

Please stop worrying (easier said than done I know). I had my band at the end of July and the only weight loss I had for the first month was what I lost on liver shrinkage diet prior to the op. You have very little fluid in the band or maybe none at all at the moment so it is just sitting there waiting to help you once it is filled. Some patients do shift weight straight after but the majority don’t, some people are very lucky and never need their bands filled as the restriction of having it there is enough on it’s own but that is very rare.
    I have had 2 fills now and have lost 25lb but 11 of that was pre op, once you have had your first fill you should see some improvement but that also will probably be short lived until you reach you “sweet spot” and that is different for everyone, I have 5mls in at the moment and will just have to see if that works, I only had the second fill on Thursday so it’s a waiting game at the moment, but if that’s not enough I will have a bit more put in when I go again in 4 weeks.
    Bypass patients have a much quicker result to begin with but research shows that at 18months post op the results are usually equal. As the very funny John says on here (another bandster) we are the tortoises and they are the hares!!

I hope this helps a little

Nettie xx

johncg

Shazbar.

Hi it John…. I had the band fitted 31st august. I have had a steady weight loss but I have been so strict with my diet and exercise I was bound to lose weight but without the band that loss would not last until my next visit past a pie mash shop…. Lol. I have noticed that some foods I can eat plentiful off like ryvita.. Yet some meat like chicken if I eat more than two wings four Brest and a leg I have to visit the toilet to yack… Lol Seriously they will get stuck. I hope after my first fill next Saturday I hope to be able to eat less although what I’m eating now would not be good to keep a sparrow alive… But I’m have few calories much less fat and carbs plenty of water and exercise nearly every day either swimming or walking on a treadmill for around 45 minutes ….. The doc did say I’ll be eating bigger portions as the swelling goes down after op until the first fill…. Remember it’s a tool and not a wand…

Live John xxx
    Off to pie mash shop now…. Lol

hides

Hello shazbar
    I dont think our paths have crossed before, so hello. I’m another bandster( to be), my op is on 19th oct. I start my liver shrinking next week. I feel for your disapointment at the moment and can totally understand your questioning, and i have had the same thoughts in my head…. What if this doesn’t work, what if i dont lose weight in the first couple of months….. But nettie and john make perfect sense, and that will stick with me if i have the same dilemma as you.

Please stay positive, if you are following the guide lines for food and you are doing more exercise then you normally would do, then this will work. Maybe your body is just getting use to the band being there, and once your 1st fill happens, then there will be no stopping you.

Please keep us posted with progress
    Heidi

vickihayling

Yep I agree with everything said. I dieted like mad after my op as I was panicking that it wouldn’t work and I desperately didn’t want to put back on what I had lost on my pre-op – so yes I did steadily lose weight after my op but more down to normal dieting but belive me once that band fill kicks in (took me 4 fills) there will be no looking back. Now I almost miss those days of light restriction as now I struggle to eat more than a few mouthfuls and it’s not much fun but the weight is dropping off – which is very much fun! Be patient and believe in your band and in the meantime try desperately to control your eating as it will all help in the long run.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@vickihayling 19562 wrote:

Yep I agree with everything said. I dieted like mad after my op as I was panicking that it wouldn’t work and I desperately didn’t want to put back on what I had lost on my pre-op – so yes I did steadily lose weight after my op but more down to normal dieting but belive me once that band fill kicks in (took me 4 fills) there will be no looking back. Now I almost miss those days of light restriction as now I struggle to eat more than a few mouthfuls and it’s not much fun but the weight is dropping off – which is very much fun! Be patient and believe in your band and in the meantime try desperately to control your eating as it will all help in the long run.

This is so helpful and inspirational. Thanks for sharing such lovely positivity Vicki.

Doodah x

shazber

Just had my first fill and now have some restriction and have started to loose weight thanks for all the messages they really helped x

hides

Hi shazber
    Hope your fill went ok. Things should start to move faster for you now.
    Keep us posted with your progress. My band op is a week today….
    Best wishes
    Heidi

johncg

Hi shazber

Like what’s already been said… Diet is the name of the game the band is an aid as I see it… I was a bit worried that I was able to eat to much but my minds focus kept me on track.. But once I has the first fill I can not eat a fraction of what I was able to pre fill… So I’m happy and the weight is coming off… I have to think about everything I’m about to eat…

The band is doing what it says on the tin

Love John xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@johncg 19846 wrote:

Hi shazber

Like what’s already been said… Diet is the name of the game the band is an aid as I see it… I was a bit worried that I was able to eat to much but my minds focus kept me on track.. But once I has the first fill I can not eat a fraction of what I was able to pre fill… So I’m happy and the weight is coming off… I have to think about everything I’m about to eat…

The band is doing what it says on the tin

Love John xx

GREAT advice x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media