Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Not filling in my food diary for one day…

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

So since the day of my op I have written down every single morsel I have eaten on my fitness pal. I plan to do this forever… Food diaries work for me. I’m rubbish at doing them but when I do I do better … But on Sunday I’m going to a wedding… I had planned in my head to relax, eat a small amount of the meal ( luckily its roast turkey so easy to do protein and veg) I’ve asked for cheese for pud so I’m not tempted by cheesecake…. I planned to just enjoy and not worry too much… I thought I wanted to be like a ‘normal’ person… But the closer it gets the more I’m a little freaked out about not knowing what I’ve had… I have really mixed feelings about this…. Good in a way that I’m not thinking ‘blow it’ and pigging out… But also a little scared if I let go of my total determination for a second that will be the end and it will all go wrong… Like so many times before …. I’ve not lost my appetite and don’t have a huge amount of restriction although I weigh everything cos if I eat too much I feel well sick… I have to tell myself to stop at every meal as I feel I can eat more but if I do I end feeling sick after 10 mins… Guess I feel a little freaked out and part of me just wants to relax for five minutes and enjoy myself for one day and another part is scared if I let go that will be it forever… Your thoughts please lovely people cx

katy

Hey hun
    I too have filled in my food and fluid diary religiously and have found it helpful in pinpointing foods that dont agree with me etc. I rang st Richards for the first time this week as I have been driven mad by constant nausea since the op and so as a result have found it sooo hard to eat. Mr pring has put me in anti sickness pills for a bit to see if it will settle. Anyway, slight diversion from the subject!
    I have been to a couple of social events over the last few weeks and my partner noticed that I seemed anxious when it came to eating but I thought I was ok.
    I went to a family party last weekend which had s buffet table and it was ok, I didn’t panic, just ate a few bits really slowly and enjoyed myself. I didn’t touch dessert (I do get dumping which has really freaked me out re sugar) but I managed a whole weekend without my diary and I’m still alive to tell the tale!
    I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t be too hard on yourself…..just relax and you will be fine.
    I’m going out for sushi with some friends tomorrow night and I’m really looking forward to it instead of feeling anxious
    Take care
    Katy xx

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I remember the first time I went to my first social event after my op and I was really worried to about eating and how I would cope but I got threw it and came out the othere side. I made wise choices on what I ate, stuff that I knew agreed with me and just remembered to eat slowly and chew everything well but I did no exactly where the loo’s were just in case, so if you are careful and know your limits and do what you do at home when knowing when to stop eating you will be ok. I also keep a food diary and write down everything that goes into my mouth, I just like to be in control and like Katy I can see what triggers what does not agree with me because still after a 14 months since my op I still get things that make me dump or foam. I have been away staying with my children a few times now since my op and I find that when I am away I do more so watch what I eat and eat more slowly and chew more than I do at home and I have never had any dumping or foaming with them. My advice is just relax and enjoy yourself be aware of what you are eating but don’t let it spoil the day and you will be fine.

Elaine xx

Thank you lovely people… Wise words as always and helped me through the day… I even wore 3 ” heels for 6 hours before converting to flats… There seemed to be a mass shoe change at that point and every woman in the room lost 3 ” in height!!

As for my food diary I would like to thank you all for your advise… I took it all on board… I ate some porridge for Brekkie and had a bacon ( 1 slice bread 1 slice bacon) at 11 . 30 as I knew there would be no food til 3. The lovely bride had ordered me half portions… Had a little of each course and the guy next to me was very pleased as he got to polish off the rest… I did indulge in 2 glasses of wine spread over 9 hours… Each one divided in 2 and in a tall glass with water and ice interspersed with lots of glasses of water and 2 cups of tea… ( I know I shouldn’t have wine but just wanted to enjoy the day but be sensible)!!!! Evening buffet I chose protein and some veg. . Added it up when I got home over my cals but to be expected and straight back on programme today. Overall an enjoyable and stress free experience. Xxxxxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Squeaky.

So glad you had such a lovley time. I think somtimes we all forget that the main reason we have wls is to give ourselves longer, happier, healthier lives. I’ve just read a post on the Facebook page and it’s more or less saying that if you have a mini ‘blowout’ (it’s just been a Bank Holiday weekend) don’t be hard on yourself as it’s what ‘normal’ people do. That is so true. Normal weight people balance their output and intake without even having to think about it the lucky so and so’s – it comes naturally to them. If they eat or drink more than is recommended one day, they automatically cut back for a the next few days: no drama, guilt, panic or stress. Aren’t they lucky?!!!

We have wls becuase we can’t (for whatever reasons) do that without help. However, the method they use to stay a healthy weight is what i believe we should all adopt. I ate too much on Friday night and felt SO uncomfortable (even 4 years out) so the next day I cut right back. I’m going to be very busy work-wise this week so I know I can be more rigid with my food intake as I won’t have the distraction of a social life haha! On the other side of the coin, I don’t think it’s healthy to obsess about what we eat either. I have never counted calories from day one. I promised myself I would not be a slave to them ever again. I think we all know in our hearts what is a normal portion but the difficulty we have is sticking to it. Wls is our best friend as it makes us do exactly that.

So, what I’m trying to say is, be vigilant but don’t allow food to become an obsession in a different way. Stick to the ‘plan’ but have a contingency one for when we want to be like ‘normal’ people for a day. A wedding is a time to celebrate the beginning of a new life partnership – just like we do every day with our weight loss surgery. It’s a partnership which means we have to work together with our band/bypass/sleeve for the rest of our lives. Neither should totally dominate the other.

Doodah xx

Ganny
    Participant

Hi All,
    I agree with Doodah, I don’t calories any more, I will not become a slave to my weight ever again, I watch what I eat and control my portion sizes, I know when I have over eaten and I cut back the next day. I do get weighed once a week just to let me know what is going on but by no means I do what I use to do and be on and off the scales throughout the day and I don’t get upset if when I do get weighed I may have gained a pound or two “normal” people do this week in week out and as long as I am aware of this and I know I can get that little extra off it doesn’t bother me. I am enjoying life to the full now and I won’t let my weight become a problem to me again, I am off my anti depressants now and that is the way it is going to stay.
    On a lighter note I was out on Sunday night at a 80’s disco and I wore a red fitted dress (never have I worn red let alone fitted) and killer heels and I managed to dance the night away in them, suffered the next day with my knees, thighs and feet but I didn’t do bad for an “old bird” who is nearly 60, lol.
    Elaine xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Ganny 23306 wrote:

Hi All,
    I agree with Doodah, I don’t calories any more, I will not become a slave to my weight ever again, I watch what I eat and control my portion sizes, I know when I have over eaten and I cut back the next day. I do get weighed once a week just to let me know what is going on but by no means I do what I use to do and be on and off the scales throughout the day and I don’t get upset if when I do get weighed I may have gained a pound or two “normal” people do this week in week out and as long as I am aware of this and I know I can get that little extra off it doesn’t bother me. I am enjoying life to the full now and I won’t let my weight become a problem to me again, I am off my anti depressants now and that is the way it is going to stay.
    On a lighter note I was out on Sunday night at a 80’s disco and I wore a red fitted dress (never have I worn red let alone fitted) and killer heels and I managed to dance the night away in them, suffered the next day with my knees, thighs and feet but I didn’t do bad for an “old bird” who is nearly 60, lol.
    Elaine xx

Oh Elaine, that has made my day!! I wear red now too – even sparkly ‘Ruby Slipper’ type shoes and I love it. Thanks for that brillaint post. You certainly have a handle on things now ;-))

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Doodah,
    Thank you for that I feel I have a handle on this now. Mr John gave me a wonderful tool to work and by God I am going to work with it. I have not been this weight since I was in my early twenties and my only regret is that I didn’t do it earlier but I won’t dwell on that I am just grabbing the bull by the horns and living my life to the full, I have even brought a pair of skinny jeans lol. There is a whole new world out there and I am loving every minute of being alive and being in it. I don’t feel like a nearly 60 year old and I have been told that I don’t look or act like one, after age is just a number and I feel like that I have been given a whole new life to start again, so in my head I am in my early to late 30’s it is just the dam legs and the rest of the body that lets me know that I am not lol. I am still recovering today from my late night dancing on Sunday, as I said the dam body just lets you down lol.
    Elaine xx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media