Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Nhs Referal Question

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    derlooker
    Participant

I can anyone help?

A family member recently went to his doctor to ask about weightless surgery.

He is defiantly one of us, has struggled with his weight for sometime. And is currently over 25 stones.

He was put off when the GP told him it would be more than a five year wait. He has other health problems and is not in a position to self fund.

His weight is rising by the week and I worry about his health. We live in Dorset and I am not sure what the procedure is for those that need HHS care for bariatrics.

Is the wait usually that long?

Can anyone advise please?

Lisa x

sexy beast

I think the doctor has slightly exaggerated the waiting list length. I think the norm is 12-18 month.

Doodah
    Keymaster

I agree. The doctor is ill informed at best.

Maybe he could see another GP within the practice or even see a new one?

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

I am in Kent and from when my GP suggested weight lost surgery and wrote off for funding I waited no longer than a month and I had my bypass within 6 months and I was nearly 25stones at the start and had under lining health problems as well, so I think his GP was a little of the mark.
    Would suggest he try again or somewhere else.
    Elaine

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

When my GP first sent me for WLS the Hospital I was sent to had a 2 year weighting list. My GP thought tis was too long so refered me to one of the National Baryatric centres, there waiting list is about 12 weeks.

Get him to ask his GP for a referal to the closest Centre, even if in his area the list is 5 years which I doubt he would be on a list which he is not at the moment. And as I found once on a list you are not locked to that lst if better options become known down the line.

Paul

derlooker
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your answers. I will see him Sunday so will pass on the info. X

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media