Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

newly banded- please help :(

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    caz5325

hi guys

Im 28 yrs old, bmi of 38, just had a band fitted 4 weeks ago and luckily have not experienced any pain problems or complications so far

I lost 9lbs in my first week which I assume was due to lack of eating and liquids only etc, but for the past 3 weeks I have strictly stuck to a low fat small quantity diet, but not lost anymore weight whatsoever.

obviously I’m feeling very disappointed as the difference between what I’m eating now, and what I used to eat is vast! iv gone from one extreme to the other! from > 3000 cals/day to about 1200 cals/day!!
    why on earth am I not losing any weight?

do I simply have to wait for my first fill?

I currently feel no restriction, but was told this is normal before your first fill. however I would’ve expected some weight loss as a result of my change in diet alone??

would be grateful for any advice or help you experienced-ones can offer!

many thanks, Caz x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Caz and welcome to the friendliest place you could hope for.

May I please ask who and where regarding your surgery?

Right, what ever you do – don’t panic. You had major surgery 4 weeks ago and your body is ‘settling in’. Band patients are the tortoises of the weight loss surgery world whereas bypassers are the hares. Don’t ever compare yourself to anyone else. Not even other bandsters. It serves no purpose and can make you panicky if you don’t lose as fast as they do. It’s NOT a race, it’s about adopting a whole new, forever lifestyle.

I suggest you have a word with your team about your expectations. I also have to note that you do not (in bariatric terms) have a very high BMI to start with so that might be significant. I can’t say yes or no about that as I am not a clinician. If you are a Streamline patient, please contact your team as they will be more than willing to go through it with you.

Doodah x

hides

Hi caz

Congrats on your new friend . I had my band 16mths ago and my total loss in 5stone . Doodah is right in saying your body is adjusting but i’m sure this isn’t what you want to hear . The truth is there s no answer, we are all different and what works for one may not work for another . When you start having your fills this should make a difference, untill then you have to make good choices and let your band work for you.

I echo doodah’s thoughts on speaking to your nurse , and be realistic in what you want to achieve. I know people who have lost 6/7 stone in 18 months, but i also know a couple of people who have lost 3/4 stone in the same time. Dont be hard on yourself and remember you didn’t get overweight over night, so it will take time to brake habbits and work with your new friend .

Heidi

Doodah
    Keymaster

@hides 28360 wrote:

Hi caz

Congrats on your new friend . I had my band 16mths ago and my total loss in 5stone . Doodah is right in saying your body is adjusting but i’m sure this isn’t what you want to hear . The truth is there s no answer, we are all different and what works for one may not work for another . When you start having your fills this should make a difference, untill then you have to make good choices and let your band work for you.

I echo doodah’s thoughts on speaking to your nurse , and be realistic in what you want to achieve. I know people who have lost 6/7 stone in 18 months, but i also know a couple of people who have lost 3/4 stone in the same time. Dont be hard on yourself and remember you didn’t get overweight over night, so it will take time to brake habbits and work with your new friend .

Heidi

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom Heidi (still love your name.) I think they mean so much more when they come from someone who has had the same procedure. I think we are all very lucky to have this place to come to when we need to be heard and understood 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media