Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Newbie saying ‘Hi’

Home ยป Topics ยป Welcome to Streamline Surgical ยป Introductions to Weight Loss Chat Forum ยป Newbie saying ‘Hi’

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi, Well I am going to do it. I have booked a Gastric Band op with Mr Somers on 7th June. I have my pre-op dietitian appointment tonight so it is all happening!!

Have read through lots of questions and answers but have one more. I am not planning on telling anyone. Not because I am embarrassed or what to keep it secret but because I want to just succeed a bit before letting people know (I am scared that I will be one of the people who it doesn’t work out for). My question is , is this wise or is it better to fess up now?

So tonight, my new life begins – wish me luck!

Hi there and welcome, I can hear the excitement in your writing, its the start of a new journey. Welcome.

its funny you ask the question of whether you tell people or not. For me, I guess I did tell quite a few people as I wanted to use that as a tool to ensure zi did well, like I have something to prove….I guess its abit like going to a weigh in at a slimmng group knowing you need to have lost lol……

however, although I did that initially, I am not telling people now as I realize this band is as much about ME doing the HARD WORK andnnot the easy way out……Its far from it.

So it really does depend, for me me I did tell because I did want to succeed and felt Ihad to prove that I could do it, as I am sure you will too.More importantly its ot about ” fessing up” hun, its a tool and friend to help you along the way. some people may think its a cheat yet some may not, ๐Ÿ™‚

Do post on here if you have any questions as its a great way of support, all ours of the day.

Good luck with the Dietitian this evening, keep us posted:)

Xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi there Patsy and welcome.

I agree that it is entirely up to the individual whether or not you tell anyone how you are chosing to lose weight. First and foremaost it is a medical procedure and in my book, that makes it private. We wouldn’t dream of telling everyone we had a hysterectomy or hernia op so why should we feel the need to tell anyone about bariatric surgery?

Saying that, I told absolutely everyone!! I have shouted it from the rooftops in my quest to ‘decriminalise’ weight loss surgery and people’s perception that it is the ‘easy option’. Having lost 15st, if I hadn’t I think maybe people might worry that I was seriously ill so my decision was a good one FOR ME.

So glad you have made the best decision you could ever make regarding your health and happiness. We will all look forward to sharing your journey ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Nettie

I’m with Doodah on this, it’s your life and your band and your journey, well done on making a decision and I wish lots of luck and success, this time last year |I made my decision to be a bandster and I’m now almost six stone lighter, just 1 pound more to go for the big 6. Keep us updated.

Nettie xx

Thanks for all the encouragement – will let you know how it goes. Have added a ticker to hold me accountable!

Doodah
    Keymaster

LOVING your little froggie ticker!!! Can’t wait to watch him leap from lilypad to lilypad!!!

Doodah x

janie123

Just to say that I am booked for a gastric bypass on the 14th June and have my pre op assessment on Tuesday 22nd may.
    I too am not going to tell anyone apart from my husband and two children. I don’t want anyone to try and put me off and having failed at everything else I am frightened that I won’t succeed with this. I agree that this is my own private journey and I am the one who has to get my head round it and do it.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@janie123 23547 wrote:

Just to say that I am booked for a gastric bypass on the 14th June and have my pre op assessment on Tuesday 22nd may.
    I too am not going to tell anyone apart from my husband and two children. I don’t want anyone to try and put me off and having failed at everything else I am frightened that I won’t succeed with this. I agree that this is my own private journey and I am the one who has to get my head round it and do it.

Good for you Janie. It’s nobody’s business but your own. Please let us know how you get on ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

shelleymarie

I’m quite a open person so found myself telling quite a few people. Obviously there were still people in my life I didn’t want to know. I found I wanted to talk about it on my Facebook page but there were a few people on there that I definitely didn’t want to know so I made a list of people I trust, and only post surgery stuff to them. That way I felt comfortable and people I don’t speak everyday appreciate being kept in the loop. I’ve found everyone I’ve told be really understanding and supportive but I understand wanting to keep it too your self too. It’s definitely up to the individual person ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah
    Keymaster

That’s a great idea Shelley. It’s such an important part of the journey to surround yourself with people who support you. I have several wls friends who’s family don’t know about their surgery (for whatever reason) and I respect that 100%. It is, after all, a private medical matter. No one would expect you to tell them all about your other medical procedures would they?

I’m an open book about everything in my life that concerns me. When it comes to friends, family, colleagues and work my lips are more tightly sealed than a camels eyes in a sandstorm!! That was the polite version lol! ;-))

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media