Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Newbie – part 7

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Stever7908

Hello everybody
    I have just got my op date through for the bypass, it’s the 2nd December. Still a little way off. Very excited and nervous at the same time. Keep reading too much stuff on the Internet, which can send you in a bit of a spin as I’m sure you all know.
    Be really grateful for any tips and advice. As well as everyone’s experience, would really help.
    Thanks a million
    S

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Stever7908 34610 wrote:

Hello everybody
    I have just got my op date through for the bypass, it’s the 2nd December. Still a little way off. Very excited and nervous at the same time. Keep reading too much stuff on the Internet, which can send you in a bit of a spin as I’m sure you all know.
    Be really grateful for any tips and advice. As well as everyone’s experience, would really help.
    Thanks a million
    S

Hi Steve and welcome to our friendly forum.

So happy for your Dec date – the time will fly by!

Can we ask what type of weight loss surgery you are having as tips and advice can vary from surgery to surgery. I had a bypass 7 years ago and have never regretted it. As it was so long ago, things have changed quite a bit except for a few things: trust your surgeon and your surgery, keep in contact with your team, try not to get fixed on numbers (scale or clothes size) and finally but most importantly – be kind to yourself. Put yourself first for once.

Weight loss surgery can totally transform your life but you have to work at it. Surround yourself with positive, supportive people who will be happy for your success. The other lovely people on this forum will be along to give you tons of practical advice like saving and freezing tiny portions of food for immediately after surgery and other nifty tips!

Here are some links you might find useful:

Recipes and advice for weight-loss surgery patients | Uncategorized | Bariatric Cookery

Amazon.co.uk: sugarfree syrup

First one is for a cook book by Carol Ball that is specifically written for people who have had wls and the second is a link to Amazon to buy sugar free syrups with which to flavour things like yoghurt and porridge etc.

Please keep dropping in and letting us know how you are getting on!

Doodah x

Stever7908

Thanks Doodah
    I am having the Gastric bypass, the date has now changed to the first of December. Thanks for the info on the book and the top tip for flavourings. Chris Pring is doing my surgery, I found him very reassuring and on my side. He gave me that extra bit of confidence. Love the forum and the support from Streamline. I was considering going abroad for the op, so pleased I haven’t.
    Really just want to get on with it now, got dietitian on Friday and then pre op on the 25th. I will definitely stay in touch the support is great and helps in those wobbley moments.
    Thanks for kind words
    Steve

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi steve I be two years at the end of November . I really recommend the sugar free syrups , great for before when on the lrd and post op,. Read as much as possible . Get fitter , walk if you can or look at arm chair exercise . If you can come to a wls support group , your find this in readily useful . stop smoking , start looking at labels so it’s a easier afterwards . Learn some relaxation exercise and distraction techniques , useful for head hunger . Start slowing down you mouthful now chew for twenty before swallowing ( help stop dumping ) it takes a month to change habits . One good distraction technique is to name three or thing you can see , hear and feel . Then three different things see hear feel then two then one . Remembering this money will pass . Try not to have goodbye meals , this is a tool and it’s about reducating our minds and bodies . Carole ball has a good cook book and I love her Baratric plate . But ramekin dish that be your portion guild for the first year . Hope this is helpful just keep asking questions xx

Boo22
    Participant

Hi Steve
    I’m in much the same boat as you! I have a bypass op scheduled for Nov 27th. I have tried to stop looking up too much on the internet now as read loads even before going for my first consultation. Chris Pring was very informative at my consult and the booklets that were sent through give loads of info. Alot of the stuff online, without being disrespectful, is from american people and I find it to be a little OTT. I have found the people on this forum who have gone through surgery to be so friendly and supportive and hopefully that will help get us through too! There is another lady I have been talking to who is scheduled for surgery 2 days before me so perhaps we can all give each other tips and advice as we proceed!
    Boo x

penny

Hi Steve Welcome to this lovely site, so much support is given and no one judges anyone, also to get advice from people who have experience and time with there surgery is worth so much, It is always nice to know your not alone with this,.
    I am having my surgery on the 25th Nov also with chris pring at st richards. eek getting close now, but so ready for this. on this site is another lady who is having her surgery two days after mine,.
    I do wish you well and luck with preparing for a new chapter in your life, its so exciting.
    Penny

penny

Hi Kimberley,
    so good to see you back and I think your a star,
    and still helping others, amazing,
    please do take care of yourself and let your loved ones look after you, that makes them feel useful and doing there bit for your recovery makes them feel good to.
    lots love Penny xxx

Stever7908

Hi All
    Really great to be in touch with you with everyone, thanks for all the advice more the merrier as far as I,m concerned. Penny be thinking of you on the 25th, I am at St Richards that day too, for my pre op. I had the appointment with Julliet the dietitian last Thursday. What a total surprise she was like a breath of fresh air, understanding, supportive, just lovely. Really surprised past experience of dietitians hasn’t been brilliant. Sure we’ve all been there. Boo your op only 3 days before mine(been bought forward to the 1st). Think, you will be home as I go in for mine. Be great to stay in touch with you both as we all get used to life/food and living post op.
    Love to all
    Steve

Lauren
    Keymaster

It makes me so happy to hear that you find this forum helpful and supportive.

We only have two rules: no judgement and no rudeness. It’s really that simple. If we are all kind to each other, respect each other’s opinions and never judge each other – we have a place of safety and support.

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Can I add my welcome too. How lovely that there are 3 of you scheduled for surgery within days. You’ll support each other and learn together as you walk this wonderful path to your new lives.

With ops in December, i’d like to think that you’ve given yourselves a fabulous Christmas present. In fact by the time Christmas arrives, you’ll already feel transformed. It doesn’t take long after the op for us to feel better. The difference is that wls is the gift that keeps giving. I’m 18 months out and I’ve lost 11 stones, I’m at a healthy weight, I’m active and fit. Every day I’m grateful.

Good luck x

Lauren
    Keymaster

That’s a great concept, Chris – a Christmas gift to yourself that keeps on giving. Perfect 🙂

Doodah x

Boo22
    Participant

That’s the way i’m looking at it…a gift to myself! Some seem to think waiting till after Xmas would be better…but why wait and go another month waiting to do something positive and have even more weight to lose. Can’t wait to get started! Thankyou for your encouragement Chris. And lovely to be in touch with Penny and Steve now too 🙂

penny

Hi Steve,
    I not very good at this I just typed a whole lot to put on and lost it not sure where that may pop up. Anyway I was trying to put down in words that it is great that there is 3 of us going to have this done so close, we will be able to help each other along the path to healthy living. I also saw juliet she was very understanding and was very nice. I am going to make some of the post op little puree meals so that it will be a bit easier when I get home, I did have a soup maker bought for me and I must say it is fantastic and it only takes maybe half an hour from start to finish.
    love Penny xx

Kimberly
    Participant

I had my surgery in November , two years ago the best thing I done for my self ,

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Boo22 34641 wrote:

That’s the way i’m looking at it…a gift to myself! Some seem to think waiting till after Xmas would be better…but why wait and go another month waiting to do something positive and have even more weight to lose. Can’t wait to get started! Thankyou for your encouragement Chris. And lovely to be in touch with Penny and Steve now too 🙂

To me, this proves how ready you are! You want to get started and you don’t care if Christmas is imminent. It proves how determined you are to make it work. I feel very proud of you and I hope you feel the same about yourself!

It’s a tough old journey and how fortunate you all are (you, Steve and Penny) to have people to share it with who know EXACTLY what you are going through. It’s the main reason I love this forum. None of us are ever alone. I check in here every day (even Christmas day and Boxing day) to make sure there is no one feeling lonely or unsupported as I remember exactly how it felt. There were no support groups for me at the beginning of my own journey and my first Christmas was awful. It made me decide to make sure that no one else had to feel like that.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media