Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

New series of weight loss ward back on ITV

Home » Topics » General Section » Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery Debates and Media. » New series of weight loss ward back on ITV

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

I see that a new series of the TV show Weightloss Ward is back on ITV 8pm on Tuesdays

Documentary series about the obesity unit based at the Sunderland Royal Hospital.

Just watched episode one, now someone is going to have to say this and it might as well be me, What is up with some of these people, I know we all have our own demons but after jumping through all the hoops over a two year period and finally being given the wonderful chance of a new life that WLS offers but why on earth would someone then go on an all inclusive holiday just two weeks before their surgery date and then pretend to be shocked that they have put weight on when all they had to do was stay the same, what is wrong with these people, no wonder WLS on the NHS is getting such bad press when for the sake of a TV show they are doing surgeries on people who are clearly not in the right mental place to cope with life after WLS.

When will these people learn, WLS is not an easy quick fix, its just the start of a very hard long battle to train yourself to understand that portion control is vitally important and so is sticking to all the rules, eating chocolate & crisps and drinking alcohol after WLS is a No No, and its a big No No for a reason, break the rules and you will break your surgery and you will regret it, and it will be no ones fault but your own.

Is it just me am I wrong in these thoughts or should these NHS WLS teams be saying to some (Not all obviously), sorry but you are beyond surgical help at the moment

Rant off, Sorry 😉

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 30506 wrote:

Hi all

I see that a new series of the TV show Weightloss Ward is back on ITV 8pm on Tuesdays

Documentary series about the obesity unit based at the Sunderland Royal Hospital.

Just watched episode one, now someone is going to have to say this and it might as well be me, What is up with some of these people, I know we all have our own demons but after jumping through all the hoops over a two year period and finally being given the wonderful chance of a new life that WLS offers but why on earth would someone then go on an all inclusive holiday just two weeks before their surgery date and then pretend to be shocked that they have put weight on when all they had to do was stay the same, what is wrong with these people, no wonder WLS on the NHS is getting such bad press when for the sake of a TV show they are doing surgeries on people who are clearly not in the right mental place to cope with life after WLS.

When will these people learn, WLS is not an easy quick fix, its just the start of a very hard long battle to train yourself to understand that portion control is vitally important and so is sticking to all the rules, eating chocolate & crisps and drinking alcohol after WLS is a No No, and its a big No No for a reason, break the rules and you will break your surgery and you will regret it, and it will be no ones fault but your own.

Is it just me am I wrong in these thoughts or should these NHS WLS teams be saying to some (Not all obviously), sorry but you are beyond surgical help at the moment

Rant off, Sorry 😉

Paul

For the record Paul, my personal opinion is the same as yours. In fact, I felt so angry watching the programme that I was shouting at the telly! I know people who would do absolutely ANYTHING to be able to get wls on the NHS (myself included in 2008) and are finding it so hard to qualify. They would stick to the guidelines and make the absolute best of the wonderful gift they are seeking.

You are right that we all have our own demons but, the folly of deciding to go ahead with an all inclusive holiday a few weeks before your surgery date for wls, is staggering.

There, we have both said it now. However, I do wish all the patients on the programme the very best of luck in the future. Boy are some of them going to need it!

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

I must say I do wonder if with some of these programs, the patients have been picked because of their entertainment value over their suitability for WLS, it’s like they pick some of them from the same place jeremy Kyle gets all his odd people from.

Thankfully not all WLS programs are like this, Fat a Doctors for example but most are getting like it.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 30526 wrote:

I must say I do wonder if with some of these programs, the patients have been picked because of their entertainment value over their suitability for WLS, it’s like they pick some of them from the same place jeremy Kyle gets all his odd people from.

Thankfully not all WLS programs are like this, Fat a Doctors for example but most are getting like it.

Paul

You are right about ‘Fat Doctor’ and ‘Fat Surgeons’ being ethically sound. Some of the other programmes about weight loss surgery (and weight loss in general) seem to be 99% entertainment and 1% education. It reminds me of Victorians visiting a ‘freak’ show. Very unsavoury – scuse the pun!

Doodah x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media