Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

New member – part 3

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Boo22
    Participant

Hi everyone
    I have just joined the forum after having made the decision to have a gastric bypass with Chris Pring. I now have dates to see the dietician and for the surgery and am feeling really excited with i’m sure the expected touch of nerves. I’d love to get talking with some that have recently had the same procedure and learn any tips they may have for before and after surgery and hopefully make some new friends along this journey!
    Would love to hear from anyone.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Boo22 34544 wrote:

Hi everyone
    I have just joined the forum after having made the decision to have a gastric bypass with Chris Pring. I now have dates to see the dietician and for the surgery and am feeling really excited with i’m sure the expected touch of nerves. I’d love to get talking with some that have recently had the same procedure and learn any tips they may have for before and after surgery and hopefully make some new friends along this journey!

Hi Boo

Welcome to our friendly forum.

I’m not recently bypassed (7 years out) so I suspect the other ‘newbies’ will be of more help than me about the immediate things.

What I can tell you is that it will change your life for the better in ways you might not even have thought of yet! For me, being able to put on my own shoes and socks and painting my toenails was such a delight that it almost made me cry lol! more importantly, it saved my life. I had a BMI of 64, a huge heart, asthma, arthritis and was totally immobile. I was existing – not living.

Streamline have given me a new and better life and I can never repay them enough. It’s not a walk in the park. Weight loss surgery requires hard work, dedication and the will to succeed. However, the rewards are immense – they will keep you going. We have people who, after wls, have gone from being indoors a lot, to going out dancing 5-6 times a week!

I know that the lovely people on this forum will leap to your aid. They are the most supportive bunch of folk you will ever encounter. That’s a promise 🙂

Doodah x

Lelly

@Boo22 34544 wrote:

Hi everyone

Hello Boo,
    My name is Lelly (Lesley) and I had my gastric bypass on 14th July this year. Last August I was 31 stone 10 pounds and today I weighed in at 22 stone 11 pounds, my advice would be to try and lose some weight prior to surgery as it will help you and the surgeon. I had mine done by Chris Pring at Chichester and I don’t regret it for a second. Doodah is right, I was existing not living and I struggled to walk a few feet, ok I am not running any marathons but I am getting there. I will advise what the lovely people on here have advised me, when you have had your op, rest and don’t overdo it, eat a little and often, I started with 1-2 tablespoons of liquidised protein rich food, snacks should be protein as well, cheese triangles were a god send and ready brek. Eat 3 tiny meals a day and 3 snacks i.e a cheese triangle or a teaspoon of smooth peanut butter or a glass of milk with no added sugar Crusha or a Weight watchers yoghurt, keep an eye on sugar content as you will be amazed at the amount of sugar in things that you didn’t realise had sugar in. Keep to no more than 5g of sugar per 100g or 6g for yoghurt. Enjoy this forum as it is the best, we all feel safe on here and advice is given without anyone ever being nasty, welcome Boo

Lelly x

penny

Hi Boo,

Welcome to this wonderful forum it is a very secure way of asking anyone about there experiences, i have found it so helpful, I am due my bypass on the 25th Nov with Chris Pring at the chichester and like you my nerves are very high I have really good days and then one thing can trigger lots of worries, so i log on here and get so much support, I am very grateful for that. It would be nice to follow each other on our journey , good luck must say tho so exciting. xx

Boo22
    Participant

Hi Lelly
    Thank you so much for your advice. You have done amazingly well.
    I have watched so many videos and read articles and it certainly does not seem to be a walk in the park but i am determined to lose some weight and not to live the rest of my life feeling so self conscious and down about my weight. It’s hard for some to understand but you have to know what it’s like to feel this way in order to do that. I am seeing the dietitian tomorrow so will listen hard!
    Congratulations on your success so far
    Boo xx

Boo22
    Participant

Hi Penny
    So good to hear from someone about to be going through the same procedure soon. In fact my surgery will be done 2 days after yours! I am seeing the dietitian tomorrow so feel like things are moving now. It would be so good to have each other to share this experience with and our progress!! Would love to know more about you and chat so will send you a private message xx

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Boo, let me add my welcome too. I’m 18 months post op, I’ve lost over 11 stones and I’m now a healthy BMI (I’m less than half the woman I was). The health benefits are many, my blood pressure is normal and my risk of developing heart disease and diabetes is reduced. I can walk properly, even uphill. Other good stuff includes wearing nice clothes, sitting in any chair I like, doing stuff with family and friends. I feel confident too.

You’ll get good advice on this forum, everyone is loving, kind and supportive. I’d definitely echo what Lelly said, use the time before the op to get as well as you can, the stronger and fitter you are, the better you will recover. And follow the rules exactly and you’ll be fine. I’m so excited for you

Chris xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

See, Boo! was I right or was I right? The people on here are absolutely fantastic. You will never be judged and no question is too small. It (wls) is an incredibly tough journey at times, but you don’t have to do it alone. We will share your triumphs, fears, concerns and happiness.

We all love hearing how wls has transformed each others’ lives. It’s like getting the best Christmas present EVER. And it will keep on giving year after year.

Doodah x

Lelly

@Boo22 34572 wrote:

Hi Lelly
    Thank you so much for your advice. You have done amazingly well.
    I have watched so many videos and read articles and it certainly does not seem to be a walk in the park but i am determined to lose some weight and not to live the rest of my life feeling so self conscious and down about my weight. It’s hard for some to understand but you have to know what it’s like to feel this way in order to do that. I am seeing the dietitian tomorrow so will listen hard!
    Congratulations on your success so far
    Boo xx

Thank you Boo, it isn’t a walk in the park and people do assume that we have this op and pow, we are fixed. It isn’t quite like that and we do have to work at it and make life changes to ensure that we are eating the right foods. I eat far healthier now than I ever did but some days things just don’t want to go down. One thing I forgot to say is drink, drink and drink some more after your op, warm drinks go down much easier than cold. Oh and Jubbly’s those triangular frozen juice drinks help with fluid and go down lovely, still have one of those in the evening. Puree some meals before your op and freeze in little containers, I did cottage pie, fish in butter sauce with mash and carrots and stew. Pureeing a roast dinner is a good idea as well

Lelly xx

Lelly xx

Boo22
    Participant

Thank you all so very much for your advice and kindness. I have now seen the dietitian, sent back my paperwork and guess the next step will be my pre-op assessment. I was lucky enough to be offered the low carb pre-op diet which is bit of a relief as I don’t really drink milk so that was good, and will make sure I follow the advice and be prepared prior to the op. Look forward to talking with you all some more..you really are an inspiration with you stories of how much weight you have lost xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Boo22 34579 wrote:

Thank you all so very much for your advice and kindness. I have now seen the dietitian, sent back my paperwork and guess the next step will be my pre-op assessment. I was lucky enough to be offered the low carb pre-op diet which is bit of a relief as I don’t really drink milk so that was good, and will make sure I follow the advice and be prepared prior to the op. Look forward to talking with you all some more..you really are an inspiration with you stories of how much weight you have lost xx

So glad you feel supported, Boo. The folk on here are amazing. I know this as they have supported me many, many times.

Don’t forget that besides losing weight, wls surgery changes your life in other ways. It will make you more confident and less likely to go along with what other people want. This can cause problems so be aware of it. Surround yourself with people who will love you no matter what size you are and avoid those who can’t be happy for you.

i’m SO excited for you!

Doodah x

I am just over one year on, I have lost 5 1/2 stone and gone from a size 20/22 to a size 10. I have to say this was prompted by my aunt who is very overweight, and fell and could not get up. She has diabetes, divaticulitus, blind in one eye and loosing her sight in the other. I am or was so like her and heading for the same problems. However I have reversed all this and I am smaller now and back to my weight pre children. I feel great and love being able to wear anything I want. No asthma any more. My joints are free of pain. Great in train seats, aeroplanes. My before and after photos went onto Facebook, I have tried to post here but technology foxed me. Good luck it’s worth the journey. I eat well, a few treats but very small quantities. I agree lots to drink. I have found sweet corn a problem to digest.

Boo22
    Participant

Hi Fiona
    Your post strikes a chord as one of my reasons for deciding to opt for surgery is my Auntie. Sadly she passed away last November after a life long struggle with her weight and very poor health as a result. She was diabetic and so overweight to the point she spent all day sat in a chair, could not breathe without oxygen, could not lay flat and could not even walk unaided to the toilet. I am not saying that everyone ends up like that but it was tragic to watch and I am determined not to get any bigger and to take this step while I am still young enough to enjoy the rest of my life and feel fit enough to chase after my grandchildren. You have done so well and I can’t wait to be able to say I have achieved the same x

Kimberly
    Participant

This surgery is amazing at saving life’s , also saving our children and loved ones from
    losing a parent . It changes how you are physically . But also mentally . I love it , you have to work on your mental well being . Find other ways to manage distress / stress. Other than food . Dealing with not recognising your own reflection . Dealing with people flirting with you again . Not getting focussed on the numbers on scales . You have to continually think about nutrition . Would I change any thing yes , I would have RYN . In my thirties not 55 . My obesity was a factor in my poorly heart

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Fionajeweller 34582 wrote:

I am just over one year on, I have lost 5 1/2 stone and gone from a size 20/22 to a size 10. I have to say this was prompted by my aunt who is very overweight, and fell and could not get up. She has diabetes, divaticulitus, blind in one eye and loosing her sight in the other. I am or was so like her and heading for the same problems. However I have reversed all this and I am smaller now and back to my weight pre children. I feel great and love being able to wear anything I want. No asthma any more. My joints are free of pain. Great in train seats, aeroplanes. My before and after photos went onto Facebook, I have tried to post here but technology foxed me. Good luck it’s worth the journey. I eat well, a few treats but very small quantities. I agree lots to drink. I have found sweet corn a problem to digest.

Thank you SO much for sharing this Fiona. It is thrilling to hear how well you have done and are still doing! I love the fact that you have included so many health benefits in your post as it isn’t always just about smaller clothes! I’m so proud of you.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media