Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

new me!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    katy

I wanted to share some positive news as I am coming up to a year post gastric bypass (5th march)
    This time last year I had significant health problems including severe hypertension and 3 prolapsed discs in my back with arthritis and nerve compression. I lost my job as an A&E sister on grounds of ill health and was registered disabled.
    I needed surgery to fix my back but I was scared to go under the knife for back surgery until I had lost some weight.
    I had surgery performed by the wonderful Mr Pring and although its been a difficult journey I have absolutely no regrets.
    My starting weight was 20 stone and I had a BMI of 41
    I now weigh 9 1/2 stone and have a BMI of 21.
    My blood pressure returned to normal after 2 weeks and although I will never have a ‘normal’ back, I no longer need spinal surgery as the compression on the nerves has reduced significantly.
    these are amazing positives but I think the best news I have is that I have a new job!
    I was so miserable not working and was worried that I would lose my skills and my experience would go to waste but last week I was offered a new post in the private sector which will use my skills without the need for me to undertake manual work…..my back will not cope with this.
    WLS has given me the confidence to grasp life with both hands and prove to myself that I am NOT worthy of the scrap heap.
    I am 37 years old and have managed to come full circle via the toughest year of my life.
    It has without a doubt been the best decision I have ever made and I am looking forward to a very bright future.
    Katy x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@katy 27767 wrote:

I wanted to share some positive news as I am coming up to a year post gastric bypass (5th march)
    This time last year I had significant health problems including severe hypertension and 3 prolapsed discs in my back with arthritis and nerve compression. I lost my job as an A&E sister on grounds of ill health and was registered disabled.
    I needed surgery to fix my back but I was scared to go under the knife for back surgery until I had lost some weight.
    I had surgery performed by the wonderful Mr Pring and although its been a difficult journey I have absolutely no regrets.
    My starting weight was 20 stone and I had a BMI of 41
    I now weigh 9 1/2 stone and have a BMI of 21.
    My blood pressure returned to normal after 2 weeks and although I will never have a ‘normal’ back, I no longer need spinal surgery as the compression on the nerves has reduced significantly.
    these are amazing positives but I think the best news I have is that I have a new job!
    I was so miserable not working and was worried that I would lose my skills and my experience would go to waste but last week I was offered a new post in the private sector which will use my skills without the need for me to undertake manual work…..my back will not cope with this.
    WLS has given me the confidence to grasp life with both hands and prove to myself that I am NOT worthy of the scrap heap.
    I am 37 years old and have managed to come full circle via the toughest year of my life.
    It has without a doubt been the best decision I have ever made and I am looking forward to a very bright future.
    Katy x

Oh Katy. I’m SO HAPPY for you my lovely. Your story is so very similar to mine except for one amazing thing – you are much younger than me and will reap the benefits for many more years than I. I can’t tell you how good that makes me feel. You see, my only regret after wls? That I didn’t do it sooner.

I hope absolutely everyone reads this post, I really do. Congratulations on your new job. What a year!! Like you say complete turnaround. You have worked incredibly hard and deserve every single reward you get. Thank you so much for sharing this with us all. I’m having an utterly crap week but this has really lifted my spirits. Thank you.

Doodah x

katy

Thank you doodah. It has been a hell of a ride!! To anyone considering weight loss surgery I would say GO FOR IT!! It is without a doubt the beat thing I have ever done. In addition to the new job, I am getting married this year. I never thought I have the courage to stand up in front of all those people and say my vows but I am so exited (and delighted to be wearing a size 8 dress!)
    I hope your week improves Hun but I’m delighted I could make you smile xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Oh my life Katy, what a wonderful time you are having right now!! I’m so very happy for you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing all your good news – it is so inspirational for us all. I personally would LOVE to see some wedding pics if you wouldn’t mind?

I’m all a glow now!

Doodah x

katy

It’s not till October but ill definitely put some pics up afterwards 🙂

jansus28

Amazing and totally inspirational! One nurse to another it must of been so painful to leave your job! But look at you now! Well done and big hugs xxx

ebaa

Wow that is fantastic – what a year you’re gonna have enjoy & good luck x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I really do love this place. Not only do we get the chance to support each other through the tough times but we also get to share the brilliant ones. I have been lucky enough to witness so many people not only getting their health and happiness back but find true love too. Call me an old romantic but it’s one aspect of my job that I simply adore.

Just call me Cilla haha! I have many hats….

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Katy
    Thank you so much for sharing . In a similar situation I’m advance nurse practitioner in CAHMS but retiring in August really due to my health I would have liked to continue but just not fit enough . When I’m fit I’m going to work again part time .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 28304 wrote:

Katy
    Thank you so much for sharing . In a similar situation I’m advance nurse practitioner in CAHMS but retiring in August really due to my health I would have liked to continue but just not fit enough . When I’m fit I’m going to work again part time .

Getting back to work is one of the top three bonuses regarding weight loss surgery in my opinion. I didn’t work for years and years because of my health and now I have my part time job working from home (the best in the world really) and can feel like I ‘belong’ in society again. I truly hope for the same for you Kimberly 😉

Doodah x

Katy your amazing & a true inspiration. Thank you for all the help & support you’ve given me & the courage to go ahead & book my appointment x I’m looking forward to my future now. I’m so glad your enjoying your new job but miss seeing you in A&E. come visit sometime!
    Hugs
    Tx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@teresa harding 28375 wrote:

Katy your amazing & a true inspiration. Thank you for all the help & support you’ve given me & the courage to go ahead & book my appointment x I’m looking forward to my future now. I’m so glad your enjoying your new job but miss seeing you in A&E. come visit sometime!
    Hugs
    Tx

Isn’t this just wonderful? We all help and encourage each other and one by one, many, many desperately unhappy and often worryingly unhealthy people are getting back the lives they deserve.

What a way to start the weekend – reading all these positive, helpful and reassuring posts. I bloomin love my job!!

Doodah x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media