Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Need your opinion and advice re post op

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    zinc

My daughter nearly 32 is awaiting for the RNY. Haven’t got the date yet but I need
    your knowledge for my mental peace. Please help with your post op knowledge.

How did you feel physically soon after the op I mean very soon ?
    How bad was the pain ? Did u need morphine at all or just paracetamol ?
    What measure did u take to prevent any DVT? Did the hospital advise well
    for thrombosis prevention?
    Anyone had it done in L&D hospital NHS? How is the facility ….. do u think private
    room hire would be a good idea ( no idea how expensive that is)

Regarding post op holiday including flight ….. how soon would she be fit enough to
    travel?

Re deficiency of vitamins/nutrients etc in long term ….. are you managing okay?

Thank you in advance.
    zinc

hazelann70

How did you feel physically soon after the op I mean very soon ? A bit naff and sick but nothing one can’t live with.
    How bad was the pain ? Did u need morphine at all or just paracetamol ? Not so much pain for me but the nausia was the worst and I don’t do sick or feeling sick so had a cocktail of anti sickness stuff. I can’t do morphine and so I think they gave me co-codamol which was fine.
    What measure did u take to prevent any DVT? Did the hospital advise well for thrombosis prevention? I was sent home with the stockings and had to wear them till I was good and mobile – about 2 weeks I think.
    Anyone had it done in L&D hospital NHS? How is the facility ….. do u think private
    room hire would be a good idea ( no idea how expensive that is) No, I was done in UCL so can’t say – sorry.

Regarding post op holiday including flight ….. how soon would she be fit enough to
    travel?

Re deficiency of vitamins/nutrients etc in long term ….. are you managing okay? I take a multi vit, calcium and fasttab antacid each day. I go up a stone, go back on the pre op yogurt, soup and milk diet and lose it again but it’s still a struggle to keep to size 12 but it works for me. I am one of the minority who seldome dumps, can eat everything and anything does find it hard. My advise – NEVER even try stuff with sugar and fat, just in case you find you can tollerate it. It’s a red rag – believe me!

Thank you in advance.
    zinc

Doodah
    Keymaster

@zinc 25045 wrote:

My daughter nearly 32 is awaiting for the RNY. Haven’t got the date yet but I need
    your knowledge for my mental peace. Please help with your post op knowledge.

How did you feel physically soon after the op I mean very soon ?
    How bad was the pain ? Did u need morphine at all or just paracetamol ?
    What measure did u take to prevent any DVT? Did the hospital advise well
    for thrombosis prevention?
    room hire would be a good idea ( no idea how expensive that is)

travel?

Re deficiency of vitamins/nutrients etc in long term ….. are you managing okay?

Thank you in advance.
    zinc

Hi Zinc and welcome

What a caring Mum you are to be so concerned for you daughter.

I had a bypass 4 years ago. Mine was an open bypass with a 10cm scar as I had to have my gallbladder out at the same time and I was a very poorly lady indeed. I was home after 3 days /2 nights, sitting up in my chair feeling absolutely fine. I only used 1/10 of one vial of morphine as I just didn’t feel in that much pain! Immediately after surgery, she will wear special stockings/bootees which pulsate and keep thrombosis at bay. We are then given injections to keep blood flowing. We are taught how to self inject before leaving.

Travel is 6-8 weeks but you should always check with your team.

I take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet every day for the rest of my life.

I have lost 15st and the operation saved my life – no question about that. I’m 53 in September and can look forward to many more years with my family (God willing!) I would recommend anyone who is morbidly obese to have the surgery.

I had mine done in Chichester so have no clue about facilities at L&D hospital but I’m sure they will answer any of your concerns.

Hope all this helps. Let us know if you need anything else 😉

Doodah x

zinc

THANK YOU DOODAH AND HAZELANN.
    Very helpful answers.

Doodah, Its great to know someone 4 years post op and happy with their decision.

Hazelann, I am not sure how many years post op you are but I hope you are equally happy.

Major decision for a major op that scares me yet if she wants it I can’t help. She is not morbidly obese but developed
    comorbid factor like diabetes type 2 which helped her to get approval which is difficult to get. Not only diabetes …..
    showing retinal change so if she could not lose naturally she does not have much choice.

She and I will need your opinions in future as the time comes nearer.

One thing she is adamant that she will feel “full” so won’t over eat after the op. My believe was same but I am not sure
    why then some people still can gain weight after going through this major procedure?? I read about this post op weight gain in this forum. Why does that happen?

Best wishes.

hazelann70

Oh believe me it’s easy to gain weight with a bypass once you find out you can eat crap. I was so good for 6 months and didn’t let a single thing pass my lips but then the human nature of wondering kicked in and I tried this and that and then more of it and before I knew it, I could eat anything I wanted. I am I must admit rather gutted with myself and with all that I read about pre surgery because I didn’t come across anyone who didn’t dump or who could eat anything. I was the same with the band though – I could eat anything and everything.

To say you feel full is a strange one and I don’t know if I’m the only one who feels this but it’s not really a full feeling for me. I kinda just know when to stop eating (for a few minutes lol). Getting food stuck (which happens about once every 3 months for me) is the worst. As I have a huge phobia of sick or being sick, I will try to let the blockage pass but I just know that it won’t (it has a totally different feeling than being full for me). Yet, I will lay there for a good hour in the hopes it will go and eventually I have to go and try to get rid of it. Trouble is, by then it’s so stuck that it’s a pain in the rectum to get it to come up again and often takes me 4 or 5 visits to the loo to shift it. If I just did it when it first got stuck I’m sure it wouldn’t be so dramatic. So, I don’t really help myself! Can’t say that there’s anything in particular that I find difficult – the last thing I got stuck was quite insignificant lol

Why do people gain weight? The same reason they gained weight in the first place – eating too many calories. Simple as that. Once you find you can get away with eating things then it’s a green light especially if you’re weak willed like me. I still roughly count calories just to keep myself in control because I’m sure I could kill off 4000 calories in a binge even now. I’m now 1 1/2 years post bypass btw but have been like this from about 8 months in. As I say, it’s gutting but it’s a wonderful tool at the same time and for me, the pre op soup, yogurt and pint of milk diet is my saviour and I have fallen back on it a couple of times now to get me back in line. Fortunately I love the diet and for me, it works and I guess I get to have my cake and eat it but just have to do a couple of weeks every so often to get shot of all the fat I’ve accumulated. Madness or what!!! However, the head Dr says it’s ok so that’s fine by me.

Sorry about the ramble but hope it helps.

Finally, would I do it again? Hell yes!!! Fab tool but it’s only a tool – it still needs the owner of the tool to be a little bit responsible.

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Zinc,
    Like Doodah I had my op at St Richards, Chichester 17 months ago, now nearly 11 stone lighter. Went in on the Wednesday had the bypass the same day and home on the Friday, the first couldn’t do alot but tried to get out walking every day, the pain after the op was bearable I didn’t need many pain killers, it was the gases that they fill you with that caused the wind that caused the pain but peppermint tea and walking soon got rid of that. I take a multivitiam and mineral along with a calcium tablet every day and will do for the rest of my life and my bloods come back ok every time.
    Elaine x

zinc

Hi Ganny,
    Thanks for your helpful reply.
    How are you keping now? So far, are you happy and complicaion free?
    Did the weight loss cause any loose skin? My D is 15st with diabetes type 2 and am not sure if loosing weight from this
    stage can cause any loose skin but I do worry. She is 5’5″ tall.
    Best wishes.

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Zinc,
    I am really good back to normal now. I do have loose skin but my way of thinking is I have been big all my life and have lived with that I am sure goona live with some loose skin, in sayinging that it is beginning to cause me a few complications like chaffing on the top of my thighs where the tumm overhangs and I get infections in my belly button and a few aches and pains where I am carrying it about, hopefully at some point I will get it removed. I really don’t see your daughter having that much of a problem with loose skin as she is not as large as alot of people who have had WLS and she has youth on her side as well.
    Elaine x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media