Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

need advice for pros and cons of gastric bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pluto

Hello, I had my RNY on 28th November 2009 and dont regret it for one moment. I was sick of fighting my weight all my life and now my only regret is that I didn’t have an RNY years ago!! In six weeks I have lost 2st 4lbs (slower for me as I am disabled) but I am still so pleased with this and I haven’t had any complications after surgery.

Attending a seminar or local support group and chatting on the forum will help you make your mind up but I now feel I have a life to look forward to for the first time in a long time

Mary x

pennyhaz

@stilltryingsohard 950 wrote:

Hi Pluto
    Sounds like you want to change.i Have had both bariatric surgeries lapband rhen 3 years later RNY Bypass so I was more than well prepared for eating such small amounts.
    I wish you well and although this is soo hard because after the initial ”honeymoon” period where weight loss is fast and frequent you have to REALLY DIET AND EXCERSIZE and work hard at it to keep losing weight or sadly YOU WILL REGAIN.
    I TRUELY BELIEVE that this is the very best decision I could take for my health.
    But the one great concern I have is to seriously ask yourself
    I f food has been my great comfort and my ”crutch”
    WHAT DO I DO WHEN THAT IS NO LONGER THERE?
    Only when you can answer that truthfully will you be ready to change your life in the way you will need to be succsesful after this surgery
    I wish you the very best of luck

This is the question Iam battling with, food has always been there for me, It has destroyed my life, but its something I can count on at any time of the day or night, happy or sad, I dont know if I can give that up, so confused.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Penny. I understand 100% where you are coming from as regards your mixed feelings over losing food as your crutch in times of stress. I felt exactly the same. It was almost like a bereavment at first. However, as soon as the weight started dropping off and my health and mobility improved, food became my friend in a different relationship. I saw it as the little helper that was aiding my journey to a new and better life. I didn’t need to eat rubbish (couldn’t anyway with a bypass) as I wasn’t hungry and what I did eat was healthy which made me feel better. So, instead of being caught in a downward spiral of weight gain, self loathing and poor health, it started going upwards with improved health, well-being and mobility. I didn’t feel weighed down by my actual physical weight or the guilt I had previously felt for putting myself and my family through such dark times.

So, I guess what i’m trying to say is that I was no longer the victim of a self fulfilling prophecy. I took control for the first time in YEARS. That alone made me happier and healthier. I’m not going to lie to you and say it was easy – it wasn’t. But MY GOODNESS it was worth it. I’m now employed, healthier and not dead! I was given 3-5 years to live if I did nothing. Here I am 3.5 years later and I don’t regret it for a moment.

You can do it. If I did with a starting point of a 64BMI at 48 years old, anyone can. We are all here to help you so just ask.

Doodah xxx

Deifersmum
    Participant

HI Pluto

I was in the same position you are in now are in August 2010. I took ages to make the decision, swinging one way then, just when I thought I’d made my decision I’d go the other way but finally I took the bull by the horns and went for it. I can honestly say it’s the best decision I’ve ever made it has completely changed my life, my outlook and my confidence. I had my bypass on 22nd March 2010 and I haven’t looked back since, yes at times it’s been hard but nothing you can’t cope with, you just adapt as you go, I’m now over six stone lights, still got a couple more stone to go and then I’m at goal and I know I’ll do it.

This forum, and all the friends on here are an absolute mine of information, because we’ve all been there and we’re all a generous lot, we’ll share anything you want to know, even some of the more embarrassing side effects, (wind !!! omg !!!)

Seriously, it’s not the easy option that some media make it out to be, it does take work getting used to what you can and can’t eat, a different way of eating and re-educating yourself but it is so worth it ou get more than weight loss, you seriously get your life back in every way possible. Would I do it again if I had to, in a heart beat it’s the best decision I have ever made.

Good luck Pluto and I hope we’re helped you in your decision making process.

By all means PM me if you want to chat privately.

Take care
    Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

aura

hi
    i so understand ure worry ,i had gastric bypass june 2008 best thing i have ever done,it wasnt easy going learning a new way of life but being over weight is worst:
    i have lost 12 stone i can eat everything but smaller amounts honest and you still feel as satisfied ,sometimes i get sick but thats my fault for eating to much ,honest do it i feel great sexy and normal what more can i say DO IT FOR YOU XXXXXX

78rpm

Like others who have commented here I know what you are going through I had my bypass on 30/3/11 with Shaw at chichester and I would not change anything about my decision to have the operation I am now almost 95kg down and can do things I have been able to do for such a long time fit in to “normal” clothes and my attitude and outlook have changed for a massive postive outlook. This operation has made me abetter person as well as a healther person. I am aware that I still have a way to go on my journey but I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be able to get the control back and change themselves.

I have had to accept that I used to use food to live rather than just as fuel. people always ask do you not miss or how can you not and my answer is for almost 40 years I did what ever I wanted to losing control to my addition for food and now I am in control and I do not miss anything I rather like the fact that I am better without my ability to drink 4 bottles of wine and not be drunk or eat lots of chocolate/cakes. Instead I focus on the things that I now enjoy like getting in to trousers that are 18 inches smaller than I used to wear or tops that are 5 sizes smaller my wife is also happy that I will be “around” in the future as well. It is not all plain sailing but the rewards are very worth it! 🙂

Doodah
    Keymaster

The plain and simple truth is that wls gives you back not only your life, but an even better one. It’s not an exaggeration to say that it’s like being reborn. Newborn babies are born with all the hope in the world for a long, healthy, happy life: that is what happens to people after weight loss surgery! I can say with all sincerity that I would probably not be here now wher it nor for Mr Shaw Somers and all his wonderful team at St Richard’s. I have lost 15st, have a fabulous job and am looking forward to a future I never thought I had before surgery.

Doodah x

Doodah x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media