Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Nearly five years out

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tink1970

Hi all new to this site, need a bit of help neat five years out and need a kick to get back on track …. One has got into the habit of eating the wrong things x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@tink1970 28544 wrote:

Hi all new to this site, need a bit of help neat five years out and need a kick to get back on track …. One has got into the habit of eating the wrong things x

Hi Tink and welcome to our friendly little place.

I’m five years out of 17 July. I had a bypass, what did you have?

I think the method most people use to get back on track is the 5-day-pouch-test:

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

I recently needed to lose 4lbs after a stress related gain. I just went on my own soup diet. Oatmeal and chopped nuts for breakfast then home made fresh soup for lunch and dinner. I also upped my water intake. Those pesky four pounds have gone. Other people go to a slimming club to whip them back into shape (someone else weighing you makes you more inclined to stick to it in my opinion!) or try a VLCD (very low calorie diet) for a few weeks.

I believe that whatever you KNOW you can stick to should be the thing to use to get you back on track. However, I’m not a clinician so everything should be checked with your GP.

One thing I’m certain of is – we are all here to help and encourage you whatever you decide to do. Weight loss surgery is not the magic wand the media would have us think it is. It takes hard work and dedication for the rest of our lives to make this tool work for us.

Please keep in touch. I think we might have quite a bit in common!

Doodah x

tink1970

Hi doodah,

I’m on my second day of the five day pouch test …looking back at my weight I have gained approx 6lbs in the last 7 months since I packed up work.my energy levels where so low that my partner said just stop at home …. This improved a bit with b12 injections every 8 weeks and have been told although my blood count is ok my iron stores have been depleted. Have had bloods done again this week and hopefully they can give me an answer.

Tink xxx

tink1970

I had a bypass by basil Ammori x

Lauren
    Keymaster

How’s it going? I’m so pleased you have started to feel a bit better already. I think that just taking control again makes us stronger. We go back to being the one in control again instead of giving the reins over to food.

Hope your blood tests help you and your GP to find a good resolution and that you get back to being happy and healthy again very, very soon 😉

Doodah x

janie61

Hi there,

Can you tell me what the five day pouch test is and how it works and what you do.
    Thanks Jane

tink1970

You can search five day pouch test on the Internet, I have not found it to bad at all …. Makes you realise that it’s he’d hunger not actual hunger, that’s what I have found.

Days

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 28591 wrote:

Hi there,

Can you tell me what the five day pouch test is and how it works and what you do.
    Thanks Jane

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

There you go Jane

Doodah x

tink1970

Going to get blood test rests today, will keep u all posted x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@tink1970 28601 wrote:

Going to get blood test rests today, will keep u all posted x

Ok Tink. Will be very interesting to hear what they say x

tink1970

Welli can’t grasp what I have just been told….haemoglobin levels are ok eat but button stores are at 6.2 ….. Today 8.9 last month …. So I’m lost and gotta have more bloods done in a month x

tink1970

Iron not button

Lauren
    Keymaster

@tink1970 28610 wrote:

Welli can’t grasp what I have just been told….haemoglobin levels are ok eat but button stores are at 6.2 ….. Today 8.9 last month …. So I’m lost and gotta have more bloods done in a month x

About as clear as mud then really! Let’s hope things are clearer in a month’s time. In the meantime just keep on keeping on with it but being kind to yourself at the same time. You ARE worth it as they say x

Doodah x

janie61

Thanks Doodah,

One question though: after reading that doesn’t that make soup a slider food.
    Jane

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 28626 wrote:

Thanks Doodah,

One question though: after reading that doesn’t that make soup a slider food.
    Jane

Hi Jane

I believe soup isn’t automatically considered a slider food because most of the time, it is made from healthy ingredients combined with plenty of liquid. It, therefore, fills you up quickly so ‘overdosing’ on it is actually quite difficult! There are some soups that are incredibly high in calories and fat but the sheer volume of them means it’s hard to have too much of it.

When I want to cut back for whatever reason (usually a pesky 4lbs that like to come visit a few times a year) I spend a week eating only fresh home made soup. The 4lbs shifts very easily without me ever feeling hungry. The problem with ready made soups for a shop is that they often have a high salt content which is no good for anyone let alone someone who has had wls.

It’s always best to eat ‘real’ food if you can – the ones you have to cut up and chew. It’s because those two actions force you to eat more slowly, reducing the risk of anything getting stuck and giving your brain a better chance of knowing that you are full.

Do You Know The 20:20:20 Rule? | Uncategorized | Bariatric Cookery

Please click onto the above link to read the 20:20:20 rule about eating post wls.

Hope this helps.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media