Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

nearly 3 wks post bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ruby tuesday

Just thought I would post how I am feeling, in case anyone else is going through it too!
    On Thursday, it will be 3 weeks since my bypass, and I am puzzled by how things are going. Just after surgery, despite a week of constipation, I felt ok, and actually had more energy. I lost a stone and a half in the milk diet week and surgery week, which was more than expected.

Since then, not a pound lost. Don’t get me wrong, it takes time for the insides to heal and the swelling to go down, and perhaps my body is taking time out to recover, but I have very little energy, can’t get much food down, although I am trying to eat iron/protein containing foods (but not meat or fish yet, although I can manage crispy bacon), and do walk every day. Some days I have been more active, a few days just can’t do anything at all, and none of it makes any difference to the scales.

Due to lack of vitamins, period, and lack of meds, I do feel unusually cross and down, mostly from frustration that I can’t get on my exercise bike, and don’t feel strong enough to swim. I guess I also find it frustrating that all the people I see most of use me as a listening ear, which normally I am fine with, but not at the moment, when the last thing I can manage is to concentrate for any length of time on other people’s problems, whilst not being allowed to say much about myself!

So, sorry for lack of support on the forum from me, am seeing gp this week, hope my energy and sense of humour come back!

Ruby

Doodah
    Keymaster

Ruby, who isn’t allowing you to say much about yourself? And as for apologising for your supposed lack of support for others…Stop right there!

You have rapidly become a very important member of this forum, giving support and advice to everyone. There is no way ANY of us have expected you to concentrate on anyone but YOU post op!!

We are all here for you, expecting nothing in return: it’s how this place works. Let’s hope your GP can point you in the right direction my lovely. Be selfish and look after yourself for a change xxx

Irene

Hi Ruby,

I can only agree with everything Doodah has said. You are very supportive both here on the forum and in our group. Three short weeks ago you had your op and it is an emotional time we find our mood swings a lot at this time whilst we are settling into the new person we are rapidly becoming. It is such an emotional journey. You looked amazing when we saw you I really hadn’t expected to see you at Fareham as it was just about 6 days since your op. it was a lovely surprise.
    I hope you get sorted on your visit to the GP..
    Keep smiling.

kathc

Ruby I am nearly 6 wk post op and o hit a bit of a low around 3 weeks too after 4 I really came out of the fog ( that’s what I called it ) also I became severly constipated again and think that didn’t help me weight loss . Your body is just adjusting so be patient .

Katherine . X x

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Doodah
    Keymaster

@kathc 19066 wrote:

Ruby I am nearly 6 wk post op and o hit a bit of a low around 3 weeks too after 4 I really came out of the fog ( that’s what I called it ) also I became severly constipated again and think that didn’t help me weight loss . Your body is just adjusting so be patient .

Katherine . X x

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Great advice Katherine xx

tinkly_roars

@ruby tuesday 19062 wrote:

Just thought I would post how I am feeling, in case anyone else is going through it too!
    On Thursday, it will be 3 weeks since my bypass, and I am puzzled by how things are going. Just after surgery, despite a week of constipation, I felt ok, and actually had more energy. I lost a stone and a half in the milk diet week and surgery week, which was more than expected.

Since then, not a pound lost. Don’t get me wrong, it takes time for the insides to heal and the swelling to go down, and perhaps my body is taking time out to recover, but I have very little energy, can’t get much food down, although I am trying to eat iron/protein containing foods (but not meat or fish yet, although I can manage crispy bacon), and do walk every day. Some days I have been more active, a few days just can’t do anything at all, and none of it makes any difference to the scales.

Due to lack of vitamins, period, and lack of meds, I do feel unusually cross and down, mostly from frustration that I can’t get on my exercise bike, and don’t feel strong enough to swim. I guess I also find it frustrating that all the people I see most of use me as a listening ear, which normally I am fine with, but not at the moment, when the last thing I can manage is to concentrate for any length of time on other people’s problems, whilst not being allowed to say much about myself!

So, sorry for lack of support on the forum from me, am seeing gp this week, hope my energy and sense of humour come back!

Ruby

Hi Ruby

Doodah is right – you need to concentrate on you at the moment. I know i have a tendency to jibber jabber too much and i’m sorry if i talked about myself too much when we met the other night. 🙁

With regards to your energy levels and food intake, maybe its time to get in contact with your dietician and see if they can suggest ways that will lift your calorie and protein and have you feeling a bit more energised.

We’re all thinking of you and hope to see you soon. I’m happy to call in again if you’d like and i promise to come wearing a gag!!! lol

Tinks xx

ruby tuesday

Thanks everyone, and didn’t mean you Tinks, just family/friends who are going through their own stuff, but my concentration levels are at minimum at the moment! Look forward to seeing all my bari-buddies as soon as I feel better, love our group meetings so much. xx

hides

Hello doodah
    I would like to echo everything that has been said by the others…… Whilst we may not have spoke, i have read lots of your threads, were you have offered advice and support to many,many people. You have answered my questions without me having to ask them.
    This is YOUR time, and time for others to listen and lend their shoulder to you. (please let us ) Please take it, and off load when you need too, because otherwise the forum doesn’t work…… If nothing else, i have learnt that people can be honest, and we can talk freely. We all need to be heard from time to time.
    Please take care, and i hope your gp will give you a few answers. X

hides

Sorry that was meant to be ruby tuesday, not doodah.
    Having a blonde moment. X

Anonymous

Rubes rubes rubes,
    The lull around this time is pretty common I promise you, considering all of the medications from the anestetic are wearing off, your eating habbits have changed and your body it in quite a lot of confusion not knowing whats comming is when for a short period weigh loss tends to stall.
    We tend to worry are we doing too much, not enough or something wrong, honestly huney its pretty common.

I do expect water intake will be more than of late and as the body gets used to the rules and not old habbits it will have to comply.
    Please dont threat at the scales. They do nothing but hurt you mental well being and it takes weeks to really see the results of any efforts, most of the initial weight loss we have is still the effects of the pre op diet.
    What your doing now will show in two to three weeks…. see if Im not wrong…
    The only way your guaranteed weightloss every day is through water and dehydrating…. we are mostly water, I gained 8lbs in hospital during the few days recovering…. (fact)

You have heard it and seen it on the forum, heard it at the groups so dont ( as much as you want to) despaire yet, your simmering thats all…

Things will move again, things will progress natuarally, the body is quite resiliant initially then occasioanlly kicks back a little.

So from me, PLEASE hide the scales for a month, concentrate on what needs to happen, dont give yourself added pressure of thinking your ever be a failure, you wont be….

As for sharing, were here for you, we changed a little last night in the who I am bit where we concentrated on individuals needs, after the introductions we asked anyone with advice should try to talk with those with issues, were all go through them some time or another, so what goes around comes around… and we will all be so much wiser…

Chin up little dumpling. whats happening now happens, its just a mental hurdle, find yourself, ( you will soon ) share with us… and be kind to yourself ok…

Love you to bits you just know it….. fear not…. simmer for a bit, long term your going to achieve the miracles you dreamed and so much more…. you will….

Otherwise…. to counteract the slow weight loss. measure inches. Its commonly known when were not losing weight were losing inches….

Buzz xx

Anonymous

Rubes rubes rubes,
    The lull around this time is pretty common I promise you, considering all of the medications from the anestetic are wearing off, your eating habbits have changed and your body it in quite a lot of confusion not knowing whats comming is when for a short period weigh loss tends to stall.
    We tend to worry are we doing too much, not enough or something wrong, honestly huney its pretty common.

I do expect water intake will be more than of late and as the body gets used to the rules and not old habbits it will have to comply.
    Please dont threat at the scales. They do nothing but hurt you mental well being and it takes weeks to really see the results of any efforts, most of the initial weight loss we have is still the effects of the pre op diet.
    What your doing now will show in two to three weeks…. see if Im not wrong…
    The only way your guaranteed weightloss every day is through water and dehydrating…. we are mostly water, I gained 8lbs in hospital during the few days recovering…. (fact)

You have heard it and seen it on the forum, heard it at the groups so dont ( as much as you want to) despaire yet, your simmering thats all…

Things will move again, things will progress natuarally, the body is quite resiliant initially then occasioanlly kicks back a little.

So from me, PLEASE hide the scales for a month, concentrate on what needs to happen, dont give yourself added pressure of thinking your ever be a failure, you wont be….

As for sharing, were here for you, we changed a little last night in the who I am bit where we concentrated on individuals needs, after the introductions we asked anyone with advice should try to talk with those with issues, were all go through them some time or another, so what goes around comes around… and we will all be so much wiser…

Chin up little dumpling. whats happening now happens, its just a mental hurdle, find yourself, ( you will soon ) share with us… and be kind to yourself ok…

Love you to bits you just know it….. fear not…. simmer for a bit, long term your going to achieve the miracles you dreamed and so much more…. you will….

Otherwise…. to counteract the slow weight loss. measure inches. Its commonly known when were not losing weight were losing inches….

Buzz xx

Re submitted after publishing to FB, appologies if this has caused any concern, trying to recitfy…..

luckyflower

Hi Ruby, You have been a gem on here always replying to posts even if all you say is, someone with more knowledge will be along in a minute. I think you are great and a great encourager. Take time to heal and you will bounce back.
    H

ruby tuesday

What a lovely bunch you are, thank you so much. I read this after an uncomfortable day, when I had a reaction to my shepards pie that I dug out of the freezer and have been fine with before, and was feeling very sorry for myself, but I am going to hide the scales, drink more, go back to soup, and strive to be more cheerful!! Love you all xx

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Ruby

I concur with everything that Doodah, Buzz and all the other comments on this site, 4 week on your still recovering, give yourself time. I was the same at that stage, lots of energy to begin with but that gradually ran out and had to be replenished. I just had to learn to adapt, your taking in a lot less food than your body is used to and it’s rebelling a bit, as Buzz said it will get used to it but that will take time, don’t push yourself to hard to quickly, let yourself heal, inside and out, and gradually work up to the exercise, it took me about six weeks before I could get back on my treadmill, and I love my treadmill but once back on there was no holding me back, so you have a few lazy days, walk a little but don’t panic, treat yourself with whole load of TLC.

As for the concentration levels, join the club. It took me ages before I could sit at the computer and go onto the forum properly check e-mail etc, I’d dip in here and there, but I couldn’t focus on anything for any length of time. I’m now just passed the six month mark since my bypass and I still have good and bad days, more good than bad but I just have to pace myself.

Chin up Ruby, it will come good honest, and get the family to hide those scales, the worst thing you can do is start to get obsessive about weighing yourself constantly, honest it’s a nice surprise when you go for your six week post op and it’s the first time you see your weight loss, and it will be a weight loss.

Anyway I’ve rambled on for long enough, drink lots of water for the constipation and put yourself first for a while, you deserve it.

Take care hunnybun.

Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

ruby tuesday

Thank you Lesley, good to know I am normal after all! xx I am even struggling to read, and I am someone who is never without a book on the go!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media