Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Nealy 4 years out…..

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    solucky

Just thought I’d pop on site to read all the news, I used to contribute and seek support after my op and pretty much up until I had my op.. I’m nearly 4 years out now from having a gastric bypass and I’m eternally happy to Shaw Summers and his team for changing my life round. It’s not always been easy on this journey, as the first few months up to a year we lose all that horrible weight, and we tell ourselves continually that nothing or no-one is going to get in the way. However, danger as always lurks round the corner and it’s then you have to be strong and fully realise that your bypass it a tool to help you manage. You will undoubtedly be presented with temptation, “that little bit of chocolate or that little snack” wont really do any harm…..WRONG! Not many of us are born with the strong resolve required to say NO, hence the reason we end up having surgery in the first place. Unless you have tremendous resolve, which is quite hard when you’re at your lowest ever weight and looking fabulous in your small clothes with compliments every day. It’s at that point you think that little glass of wine with crisps/nuts or whatever your fancy wont really hurt, however, that will be when you are most vulnerable. I lost 6 stone in the first year and got shot of all my size 18 – 24 clothes, I’ve gained around a stone and a half through introducing wrong foods but I can work with my bypass and believe it or not I still have dumping sessions, had one on Wednesday after eating a chicken sandwich, a pack of crisps and a latte. Friends that have had the same surgery vary, one never has dumping sessions and the other does with different foods to my experience.

I love my life and the fact that I can wear nice clothes, but most of all not having to ask for an extension belt on the aeroplane. So keep with it everyone and enjoy your life journey. I hope this helps, as there never really seemed to be people that jumped on the site to let us know what life is like few years down the line.

Good luck everyone xx

Hi Solucky!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts and warnings.
    You have done so very well and your life must be very different now.
    I am 15 days post opp from my gastric bypass and am delighted that I have had the courage to have it done.
    Indeed this very forum has been thoroughly supportive to me .
    I am sure we will all continue to be supportive towards you too, during your highs and lows on this journey.
    It would be great to hear from you again with another update .
    Keep up the good work,
    Julie

audrasharon

Great post. Many thanks. X

solucky

Hi Julie,

Thanks for that and yes I will pop in more regularly as it may just focus me a bit more when I read how well everyone is doing.

clairec

Hi,
    Thanks for that solucky, it was really helpful to see how life has been in the years since your bypass. I found hearing from people at the group last week talking about different stages really helpful too. It is easy to just think of the here and now and not know how to progress from here.
    Claire

Kimberly
    Participant

Thank you so much solucky , it so good to hear from people who walked the walk and can tell us about the danger we all will face in the future .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@solucky 31186 wrote:

Just thought I’d pop on site to read all the news, I used to contribute and seek support after my op and pretty much up until I had my op.. I’m nearly 4 years out now from having a gastric bypass and I’m eternally happy to Shaw Summers and his team for changing my life round. It’s not always been easy on this journey, as the first few months up to a year we lose all that horrible weight, and we tell ourselves continually that nothing or no-one is going to get in the way. However, danger as always lurks round the corner and it’s then you have to be strong and fully realise that your bypass it a tool to help you manage. You will undoubtedly be presented with temptation, “that little bit of chocolate or that little snack” wont really do any harm…..WRONG! Not many of us are born with the strong resolve required to say NO, hence the reason we end up having surgery in the first place. Unless you have tremendous resolve, which is quite hard when you’re at your lowest ever weight and looking fabulous in your small clothes with compliments every day. It’s at that point you think that little glass of wine with crisps/nuts or whatever your fancy wont really hurt, however, that will be when you are most vulnerable. I lost 6 stone in the first year and got shot of all my size 18 – 24 clothes, I’ve gained around a stone and a half through introducing wrong foods but I can work with my bypass and believe it or not I still have dumping sessions, had one on Wednesday after eating a chicken sandwich, a pack of crisps and a latte. Friends that have had the same surgery vary, one never has dumping sessions and the other does with different foods to my experience.

I love my life and the fact that I can wear nice clothes, but most of all not having to ask for an extension belt on the aeroplane. So keep with it everyone and enjoy your life journey. I hope this helps, as there never really seemed to be people that jumped on the site to let us know what life is like few years down the line.

Good luck everyone xx

Hello my lovely!

Thank you SO MUCH for checking in and giving us all your wonderfully frank and insightful update.

‘Bounce back’ or weight gain is very common as our bodies settle in at a new weight. It may be up from our lowest ever weight but most of us never gain back everything we have lost so we are still in a winning situation! You are absolutely right that danger lurks around every corner food-wise. The trick is to anticipate it and form a plan to resolve it! ‘normal’ people do this by eating less the following day if they have indulged the one before – it is what I do but I’m not saying I’m normal in any way shape or form lol! I had cake yesterday as a treat with my daughter so today will be ‘strict’ as in my three meals and nothing else.

I’m so glad that you are loving your new life. I’m 5.5 years out and I still consider it my ‘new’ life. It’s not always easier but it is ALWAYS worth it.

Doodah x

Hi Claire!
    How are you getting on?
    Have you managed to eat your meals ok etc?
    Have you managed to get out and about yet?
    I am feeling well and a little less tired today , and will go out for another walk this morning.
    I phoned the team yesterday and they told me to eat half a ramekin dish , which I wasn’t, so now hopefully my energy will improve and constipation which has just started to happen yo me- last week I was fine!
    I have started to drive again which makes me very happy.
    I’m still working hard on my water intake- hard isn’t it, taking in 2 L?
    How are you managing?
    I hope each day you feel more comfortable, yesterday I finished my injections!! Yey!
    Things at home still very quiet, so concentrating on walking aiming for my 10,000 steps a day- not quite there yet, and being ultra organised with my routien .
    Hope it’s going very well for you,
    Look after yourself,
    Julie xxx

clairec

Hi Julie,
    So glad that things are going well for you. Your walking levels seem to be going really well. I would be able to drive today, and I love driving, but I have nowhere to go! We were out in London for the opera on Saturday and we spent the weekend at my mum’s and I had my hair done and my nephew and his wife stayed overnight so it was a very sociable weekend. This weekend we are going to two local theatres on Fri and Sat, I am booking up anything that moves! Alan will probably drive those evenings though. Next week I am having a pamper morning and seeing my chiropractor in the afternoon so I will be driving then.

Doing any exercise will always be a problem for me because of my back problems. I have to be really careful with what I do which will have an affect on my overall weightless. My weight loss was phenomenal last week but this week not very much at all. I think that is common from what I read. It seems to speed up again in a few weeks. I don’t know if that has happened to you?

Water is a problem, I am not managing 2 litres, although I was managing it before the op. I have still been having mainly soups so fluids count there too. I think when I spoke to Nicole last week she estimated that I was having 1.2 litres, taking that into account which sounds not too bad though. Moving on from soups and to milkier stuff is still a struggle though I did manage some BBQ chicken mixture last night, possibly a quarter of a ramekin in total. I seem to have diarrhoea, much better than constipation though! I hope your bowels start to respond better, and that mine don’t go that way!

Overall not to shabby really and energy levels seem quite a lot better. It does worry me about people suddenly finding it difficult to keep stuff down when their stress levels rise for totally understandable reasons. It is the last thing they need. I suppose I just want things to be predictable, particularly when you are away from home for the day, or on holiday. One step at a time though I think.

Soo glad you are ok Julie. If you ever want a chat just ring me on 0118 9815862.
    Take care
    Claire

Lauren
    Keymaster

@830830 31215 wrote:

Hi Claire!
    How are you getting on?
    Have you managed to eat your meals ok etc?
    Have you managed to get out and about yet?
    I am feeling well and a little less tired today , and will go out for another walk this morning.
    I phoned the team yesterday and they told me to eat half a ramekin dish , which I wasn’t, so now hopefully my energy will improve and constipation which has just started to happen yo me- last week I was fine!
    I have started to drive again which makes me very happy.
    I’m still working hard on my water intake- hard isn’t it, taking in 2 L?
    How are you managing?
    I hope each day you feel more comfortable, yesterday I finished my injections!! Yey!
    Things at home still very quiet, so concentrating on walking aiming for my 10,000 steps a day- not quite there yet, and being ultra organised with my routien .
    Hope it’s going very well for you,
    Look after yourself,
    Julie xxx

I think it is wonderful that you are so focused Julie. Please do not try to do too much at such an early stage though. 10,000 steps a day is a lot! No wonder you are feeling tired. I know being physically active helps to beat constipation and the boredom of convalescence (such an old fashioned term but entirely appropriate) but you need plenty of rest. You are still only a few weeks post surgery!

Finishing your injections is such a milestone isn’t it? It’s like leaving all the hospital stuff behind – great feeling. keep up the good work you guys 😉

Doodah x

Keep up the good work

Hi Claire!
    My weight seemed to have slowed down but then I was very constipated and now I am ok at the moment so it should be ok.
    So that can’t help with a steady weight loss flow.
    I’m not yet up to 2 L but really trying- I used go be such a guzzler!
    I hope there are some exercises you can do when you are ready.
    Walking is all I can do at the moment anyway.
    I’ve never been keen on exercise but I will give it a go and I plan to make time for it to give it a chance.
    I’m so glad you are out and about and enjoying yourself.
    Keep up the good work
    Julie xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

That’s the attitude Julie! Give exercise a chance. Some people go on to really, really enjoy it. We have had past patients do marathons and other charity runs!! I will never get that good but I do love the exercise bike I have about three feet away from my desk! pop on it for a few minutes every day just to keep everything moving 😉

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Julie I think I’m beginning to like it , I don’t want to do it but I like the buzz afterwards ( hmmmm!!!) you never know in my wildest dreams I always secretly wanted to me able to run !

Lauren
    Keymaster

I was sports captain at my school! Can hardly believe it now. No wonder I never had a weight problem then. I could eat anything I liked and remained at 9st. No such luck these days… but many, many happy memories of winning trophies 😉

Kimberly
    Participant

Oh doodah I use to bunk off sports and hide out having a sneaky cigarette , but I did dance a lot which I would still like to do I’ve so I’m going to try Zumba next once my fitness has improved .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media