Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

My appetite has returned

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I had a bypass in November 2011 and have lost 4 and a half stone, however, I am worried that my appetite seems to have returned and my weithloss has halted.

Here is an example of a day’s eating

Breakfast – bowl (60g) of cheerios with semi skimmed milk
    Mid morning – 1 apple and 1 banana
    Lunch – 2 jacket potatoes and 2 tinns of tuna with a teeny amount of low fat salad cream
    Dinner – Meat + 2 veg
    Supper – 2 slices of toast and regular tin of baked beans

I am eating healthy foods, but large amounts. I rarely feel full anymore.

Any suggestions?

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Rambline Rose 22751 wrote:

Hi,

I had a bypass in November 2011 and have lost 4 and a half stone, however, I am worried that my appetite seems to have returned and my weithloss has halted.

Here is an example of a day’s eating

Breakfast – bowl (60g) of cheerios with semi skimmed milk
    Mid morning – 1 apple and 1 banana
    Lunch – 2 jacket potatoes and 2 tinns of tuna with a teeny amount of low fat salad cream
    Dinner – Meat + 2 veg
    Supper – 2 slices of toast and regular tin of baked beans

I am eating healthy foods, but large amounts. I rarely feel full anymore.

Any suggestions?

Can I be honest? I think that is quite a bit of food. Sorry to be blunt. I think maybe a chat with the dietitian might be a good idea. She will probably advise you to try foods with a low GI to keep you fuller for longer. Cheerios are full of sugar as is fruit and there seems to be quite a few carbs in what you are eating. Protein is what keeps us full. But I’m not qualified to make suggestions really. Hope you can get to speak to a member of your team.

Doodah x

Thanks Doodah,

I assumed that Cheerios were healthy because they are wholegrain. They are the only wholegrain cereal that I like!!

Can people who have had a bypass please post a selection of their daily menus, so I can see what I should be eating?

Many thanks

RR
    xxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

So glad you aren’t cross with me for being a bit blunt Rose!

Here is my typical day (bearing in mind that I’m a vegetarian)

Breakfast: 1 slice of wholemeal toast with either Marmite, low fat peanut butter, sugar free jam or low fat cheese spread. Tea.

Mid morning: cup of tea with a rich tea biscuit.

Lunch: Home made soup or salad, (depending on the weather!) with cottage cheese (low fat) or hard boiled egg.

Dinner: Quorn shepherds pie (home made) with veg or Veggie pasta bake – again home made. Pudding is fruit and low fat yoghurt if I have room!

Evening snack: small bowl of high fibre cereal like bran flakes with s.s milk.

I drink tea throughout the day and always drink plenty of water as I know this keeps me full up and everything ‘moving’ 😉

I occasionally have treats like low fat ice cream, or even a proper pudding with cream or a bit of champage for special occasions.

The only things I dont eat are animal protein or fish/seafood and rice. I can now manage everything else but in very small portions as I’m almost 4 years post op.

Hope that helps ;-))

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I had my bypass March 2011 and though I can eat more than I did at the start, I still only eat small portions, a typical day for me is: Breakfast, mini fruit weetabix about 9 of those with skimmed milk and a cup of tea, lunch is 2 x ryvita with either mackeral or tuna sometimes a slice of ham with some salad and on cold days a bowl of soup, dinner is some sort of meat but mainly chicken either as a stirfry or curry or with just veg could be some salmon or other fish with again either veg or salad, I am having a few strawberries and low fat yoghurt at the moment but I normally won’t eat a pud and supper is a couple of rich tea biscuits all washed down with tea or no sugar squash and I am losing about a 1lb a week now which is good.
    Hope that helps.
    Elaine xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

I should also mention that Mine is a maintenance diet as I don’t want to lose any more. I have been the same weight now for about 2 years.

Hmmmm, I am definetly eating too much, but I feel ravenous all the time. I have contacted a dietician and will let you know how I get on!

Thank you all so much for your kind help!

Doodah
    Keymaster

The most important thing is that you have recognised a bit of a flaw in your plan and are seeking help with it. It’s all we can ever do isn’t it? I think I phoned my dietitian quite a bit in the early stages and even if I did get right on her nerves, she never once made me feel like I was stupid or annoying – and I’m certain I was both lol!

Please let us know how you get on 😉

Doodah x

I think I may know why I feel “hungry”. Before my op I had high blood pressure and was on medication. Last week at a well woman check up at my local surgery, I was found to have low blood pressure and was told to come off of my medication in the hope that my BP would stablize at normal. Maybe my feelings of light headedness and “wooziness” are symptoms of low BP and I am mistaking them for hungar??

Doodah
    Keymaster

That’s a very valid point Rose and one you should mention to the dietitian. There are so many changes that happen as we lose weight so rapidly that I often wonder how our poor bodies keep up with them!!

Doodah x

Doodah
    Keymaster

That’s a very valid point Rose and one you should mention to the dietitian. There are so many changes that happen as we lose weight so rapidly that I often wonder how our poor bodies keep up with them!!

Doodah x

I saw the nurse at my local surgery today and my BP is still low and I an anemic. I am going for another blood test tomorrow morning after fasting for 12 hours. The nurse advised me to eat what I can and not try to loose weight until everything is sorted out. The good news is that I haven’t gained any weight, so I’ll hover for the time being.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Glad you have seen someone and that you will be looked after 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media