Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Momentous decision regarding plastic surgery.

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Other Bariatric Surgeries and Plastic Surgery » Momentous decision regarding plastic surgery.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Thanks Ruby. You are so right about we plastics needing a support group of our own!

Of course I don’t mind sharing my story. It is actually already written in the plastics section but here is a brief summary:

I was fine until about day four when I noticed something ‘warm’ on my stomach. Then I began to notice a smell (sorry) and knew I must have a little infection. I took off the dressings and almost fainted. There was a river of green under them. Went back to the hospital and had everything re dressed and given antibiotics. ” days passed with no improvement so i had to go back again and have it cleaned and re dressed. Was given different antibiotics. The infection started to clear but I then developed a large swelling! Turned out it was a seroma (huge gunk filled pocket) about the size of an avocado. It had to be drained.

In all honesty, I didn’t start to feel anything like ‘normal’ for about a month. As soon as the six weeks were up I ripped off that bloody compression garment and threw it across the room – same with the stockings! So, I ended up having to take three weeks off work and it was an uphill battle.

I was only saying yesterday that my scar is quite itchy at the moment and I have no idea why! I use Dream Cream from Lush and Bio Oil every day without fail. I still have patches that are completely numb too.

I AM bitterly disappointed about my arms but like you so rightly said, we have to listen to our bodies above all else. I hope you have a much easier time of it than me Ruby. Always here should you need any help 😉

Doodah x

ruby tuesday

Bless you, you really have been through the wars, what a horrible experience, and thank you for telling me. I have no idea how things are under my dressings, just out of our control isn’t it, and so frightening when things go wrong and we wonder why it seems to happen to us! I can relate even at this early stage to the very strong urge to never see compression garments or stockings again!! I hope you do have a nice flat tummy you are happy with after all you went through. x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I always share my experiences as I think it’s better to make informed choices. there is no point in flowering things up is there?

I sincerely hope you sail through with no problems whatsoever. Maybe we should hold a compression garment burning party haha!? Actually, I’m going to pass mine on to anyone who might need them as they are SO expensive aren’t they?

I am very happy with my nice flat tum. The best thing is no more soreness – can’t beat that 🙂

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Well, I would have been having my boobs and arms done today!

Felt really sad when I woke up but I have pepped up a bit now. I know in my heart it was the right decision for me – now. Health comes first – every single time.

Doodah x

ebaa

Aah don’t be sad as you say health is far more important x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I know. Just a momentary glitch really <3

Doodah x

Almost there

@Doodah 28697 wrote:

Hi guys

Well, I made a very big decision yesterday – I have cancelled my boob lift and ‘bingo wing’ removal. There are several reasons why but the main one is that I just don’t think I can put my body through that again.

The last procedure wasn’t straightforward and then I failed the second pre op medical so I think my body might be trying to tell me something! Those of you who know me will understand that I always listen to my body now. It worked SO very hard for me both when it was 26 stone and struggling to go on, and after wls when I asked it to change my life forever. It complied with barely a moment of trouble. So, I am returning the favour.

Not having the surgeries will mean I shall remain in pain from the weight of it – but it will not kill me. I will find a way to cope. The other reason is that we are trying to save the money for a deposit on a house. My plastics fund will go quite a way to achieving that. I want to have a permanent place to live in my old age more than I want slim arms. There are other reasons too but they are too personal to share – hope you understand. I know I usually share everything but these reasons involve other people so it’s not quite the same thing.

So, yesterday, I phoned Mr Bennett’s Secretary and cancelled my surgeries. I am bitterly disappointed I will admit. However, who knows what my circumstances might be in 3 years?? Never say never as the saying goes. Some things happen for a reason. We may not always appreciate it at the time but I believe in fate….What will be, will be.

Thank you all so so much for all the continued support you give me. It is very much appreciated. I really mean that xxxx

Doodah x

Bless you DOODAH!
    this is indeed a momentous decision and I know better than most as I’m undergoing a four stage total body lift
    So as my body suffers complications and slowly heals then it is bombarded with yet another procedure
    And surgical onslaught
    So far I have undergone a fluer de lys apronectomy
    Braicioplasty ahem lift reduction
    Massive breast reduction (from66 inch bust to 36 inches)
    And next month due to undergo
    Last stage two procedures of medial inner thigh lift reduction and
    Upper ( above bely button) belt lipectomy
    In all I have endured painful surgeries and complications with wounds healing
    And I’m
    51 years old
    The worst thing is I will STILL be a big girl even after all of this as I was a super morbid obese RNY gastric bypass of 34 stones and BMI of 70
    My BMI is now 38 but technically STILL a candidate for bypass surgery!!M
    It’s is so very hard
    I have had to sell my home to fund these surgeries and move into rented accommodation as PCT refused even on
    3 appeals to fund surgery even though the wonderful Mr Somers advised that I did indeed have exceptional circumstances so should qualify for funding as my upper inner thigh was starting with necrosis as no blood supply was. Being recieved , and he advised the PCT that EVENTUALLY I would contrct tangerine then no choice but to have an amputation and end up in a wheelchair !!!!
    STILL they ( PCT) refused funding
    So although I totally respect your decision
    I have no choice but to proced as I do not want to. Go through losing all this weigh 17 stones and ßTILL end up in a wheelchair before the age of 55
    Who ever said Bariatric surgery was ” the easy way out”
    Needs their heads looking at!!!!
    You are an inspiration to this website !
    And I respect your desicion xxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thank you my lovely.

As I always say – we are ALL different and what is right for one might not be for another. We are here to support each other without condition or judgement. However, we are also all about being honest and truthful. We never sweep under the carpet any negative aspects of wls as it would be morally wrong to do so. We are about making informed decisions then having them supported 100% – even if we do not agree with them! There will never be an ‘I told you so…’ on this forum.

Doodah x

ruby tuesday

Just wanted to update, I am 8 weeks post-tummy tuck, and barring acute constipation causing problems in the first two weeks, all went very well. I have ended up aenemic, which as a bypass patient and despite very good varied diet, I am prone to, but no healing issues. I am very pleased with a lovely flat tummy, happy with the service I received at the hospital and the price I paid, and when I look back at my pre-bypass pics, I am amazed. My only wish is that there was a support group I could attend, as I would love to encourage other people who are looking at either surgery, I found that incredibly helpful when I was deciding whether to proceed, as you can actually see and talk to someone who has been through the same things!

Lauren
    Keymaster

So glad it all went so well for you Ruby. I never grow tired of looking down at my flat tum!

I’m starting an official Streamline support group in Gunwharf Quays on 19 september. At the Holiday Inn from 7.30. Everyone is welcome. It will run on the third thursday of every month. We might even be able to incorporate discussions regarding plastics?

I’m also glad you look back at your pre bypass pics and realise how far you have come. It’s very easy to forget how miserable we once were 😉

Doodah x

ps the details of the support group are on this forum.

ruby tuesday

That is good news, a support group is definately needed, although I know there is a good established one in Southampton, but the thought of Saturday parking difficulties has put me off trying it out! For the most part I like being ‘normal’ but no one really understands bariatric or even plastic surgery issues unless they have been through them, and since it does change everything regarding eating, it does become a bit all-encompassing, so it is such a relief to be with people who understand, and can offer support!

Lauren
    Keymaster

Agreed. Totally both about wls and plastics. A good support group is worth it’s weight in gold. the one I have been going to in Harrow with the fabulous Stacey Brova has been hugely rewarding. It’s the reason I decided to start one here on the South Coast.

Doodah x

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media