Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

milk diet, pre op and all sorts of worries !

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » The Pre-op Liver Shrinkage or Milk Diet » milk diet, pre op and all sorts of worries !

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    londonmag

I am on the list on the 9th oct and due to start milk on the 25th Sept.

Mentally terrified of the op and its after effect and almost want to pull out.

I suspect a lot of similar people like it on here, however, and would welcome any advice to keep me sane 🙂

that is before I terrify myself with thinking about after the op !

anyone out there :shocked:

Lauren
    Keymaster

@londonmag 25331 wrote:

I am on the list on the 9th oct and due to start milk on the 25th Sept.

Mentally terrified of the op and its after effect and almost want to pull out.

I suspect a lot of similar people like it on here, however, and would welcome any advice to keep me sane 🙂

that is before I terrify myself with thinking about after the op !

anyone out there :shocked:

Hi Londonmag and welcome to the friendliest place around.

I had my bypass just over four years ago but remember it like it were yesterday. It was the fourth best thing that ever happened to me after getting married and having my two children!

I know EXACTLY how you feel because I felt the same. I’m sure everyone else on here did too. If you didn’t feel afraid, then you would not be taking it seriously enough in my very humble opinion.

One of the things that scared me the most was the prospect of a future without my good old ‘friend’ food to rely on as a crutch when things were knocking me down in life. Is that how you feel? I honestly couldn’t see that my friend (food) was such a bad one that it was killing me. I won’t lie, it was very difficult in the early days to think that I would never view food in the same way again but almost immediately after my op, I realised that I didn’t want or need it anymore. Even after 4 years, I rarely get hungry and my tastes have changed dramatically. I don’t crave mountains of sugary rubbish and I can take or leave almost anything I don’t actually need food-wise.

To combat the mental boredom that food filled before surgery, I took up going to the gym. Very, very gentle exercise on a recumbent bike and swimming (well, thrashing about) to start with and a sitting down bicycle thing for my arms! It not only cured my boredom but made me lose weight consistently. It got me out of the house too which was a signifcant change to my lifestyle.

Wls is about changing your attitude towards not only your eating habits, but your whole life. It is the tool that will help you break the loss/gain/loss/gain cycle once and for all….but you have to work at it. Follow the guidlines to the letter and you can’t go wrong.

You will find a mountain of support on here and some excellent advice and tips also. Regarding the milk diet: it was brilliant in it’s simplicity and is only for a very short while. It will also prepare you mentally to break the dependence on food as comfort. My one bit of advice? Start an HONEST food diary. It will help you to see where the ‘hotspots’ are for you in terms of trigger foods – the ones you just might try after surgery!!

Sorry to waffle on so much but I get all enthusiastic for new people as I know the massive difference weight loss surgery has made to my own life. I now work for my surgeon, have been on a holiday half way round the world and have lost 15st. I had about 3-5 years to live before surgery – now I have the same life expectancy as everyone else.

Look forward to hearing all about your journey as each one is totally unique ;-))

Doodah x

londonmag

Doodah,

it is great to hear that as I am so concerend.

I am reading plenty of negative information regarding transfers of addiction and do need that impetus to just get going adn get on with it – then i think embolism and cardiac failure – not great fun in my head at the moment.

It is good to know you work for your surgeon, I am having my pre-op assement on Monday which has been brought forward from the 24th, so that i hope will help settle my head !!!

there are a load of things I could discuss but the forum does not strike me as the place to dump a load of emotional baggage. That said, the staff will not doubt see it all pour out shortly 🙂

15 stones lighter, is exactly where I want to be, though have my goal a little higher, so your loss has become my goal !

thank you for your words,

Keith

Lauren
    Keymaster

Honestly Keith, you will look back in a few years time and wonder what on earth you were worried about. All you will have to worry about then will be what to wear when you are out and about, as the choice will bamboozle you!

You offload as much as you want – it’s what we are here for. We ALL listen, understand and offer support and the occasional bit of advice if we have been through similar troubles. You are not alone – that is the main thing.

Please keep us informed about everything. We all love hearing everyone’s triumphs as well as helping when we falter (we ALL do at some point) so please come back and let us know how you get on.

Doodah x

Whitey

Hi Keith I had the same worries as you before my bypass, the week before I almost convinced myself I was ok as I was and didn’t need to go through with the op. Common sense prevailed and I had my op. I am not as far down the line as Doodah but 3 months in I have lost over 4 stone and feel very positive. There have been ups and downs along the way but I have no regrets. Regarding your concerns about getting through the op I told myself that being so over weight every day was a risk anyway. I went to the Tea Party last saturday and it was great to meet so many inspirational people who had lost enormous amounts of weight. I would not be worried about asking anything to your medical team or the forum as Doodah says everyone is helpful and friendly. You are taking a brave but wonderful step to re-start your life. Have faith in your surgeon but most of all have faith in yourself. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Elaine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Elaine is right, trust the surgery, your surgeon but most of all, yourself. If you really want this to work – it WILL. Follow the guidelines to the letter and never lose sight of your goal.

A word of advice from an old timer? Don’t set yourself unrealistic goals. I should be about 10st MAX for my height (5′ 3″) but I’m 11. I could probably get to 10st but am not sure I could maintain it without beating myself up all the time (and what is the point of that?!). At my age, I figure a little excess weight is perfectly acceptable. Besides it’s a healthy weight we should be aiming for: not an ideal one.

ps It was great to see you Saturday Elaine. Just so sorry I was too busy to chat with people as much as I’d like 🙁 x

Doodah x

Whitey

You are so right Doodah we should not set unreasonable goals and I can not even imagine what it would be like to be anywhere near what my ideal weight should be. To me the idea of being even a size 18 would be fantastic! If I reach even 14 stone that would be the first time I have reached that weight since I was 14! & that’s a long long time ago! Doodah you looked wonderful and you inspire many of us who have a long journey ahead of us. Elaine x

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Keith

You really aren’t alone in your worries, I’m 18 month post op (bypass ) and I remember vividly thinking, while on the milk diet, ‘if I stick with this I won’t need the op’, but then Mr Sensible popped up and talked some sense into me, who can live on milk right !!!! It’s all perfectly natural, as Doodah said, it would be worrying if you didn’t have any of these feeling and worries but stick with it believe me it will be worth it, even just 18 months post op and I’m feeling fantastic and doing stuff I didn’t think I’d ever do again, pre op it was difficult walking the dog now we’re jogging round the field, he gets tired before me and running up and down stairs instead of taking the lift, small achievements like that keep me going. You didn’t say where you are having your op done or who your surgeon is but I’m sure you’re in extremely capable hands and we’ll see you at next years tea party.

Welcome to the losers bench Keith.

Take care
    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Aw, thanks Elaine. I LOVE my job and never forget how lucky I am to be alive and able to help other people get their lives back. The Tea Party was brimming with happy, healthier, inspirational people and it’s a total privilege to be part of it.

Lesley, your post made me smile. I have two dogs so I know how much energy is needed to wear one out lol! Brilliant.

Doodah x

londonmag

thanks all – need to figure how to get my ticker up for when I start

I am now on the 16th oct on shaw’s list and really think i need to draw myslef up a menu and timing list, so I know what I am having when and it is all planned – so any ideas 🙂

Also, I may have to work away form home as early as week 3 post op, adn not certain how to do that and what I can then eat.

I may be away from home for 3-4 nights a week; supoermarkets adn hotels easy, but want to get this right !

I am already looking forward to the tea party though !

but not the mental battle of keeping on the straight and narrow !

oh and when i think of it tablets after the bypass – co-codomol in disolveable from, but 2 B pressure tabs – how do you take them ?

more ramblings later !

love to all for support

Keith

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Keith

Glad you are forward planning – it’s a sure sign that you are deadly serious about making it work!

If you do not already have then, I would suggest buying Carol Ball’s Bariatric recipe books. They are written for every stage of surgery and have excellent lunch/picnic/taking out food ideas. I’ll put the link at the bottom for you. She also sends out a monthly free newsletter with superb info and ideas.

Ask your GP if any or all of your medications can be prescribed in liquid form. You would be amazed how many are! Your pharmacist will also be a font of knowledge.

16 October will be here before you know it!! I’m having surgery on the 11th and need to get my backside in gear too lol!

Keep us up-to-date on how you are getting on. I love the pre-op bit. I remember my own and how exciting and terrifying it was in equal measure. It will be one the best things you will ever do in your life, trust me 🙂

Doodah x

Follow this link for the books:

Return to Slender, the UK’s first bariatric cookery book | Bariatric Cookery

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media