Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Milk diet practice runs?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Vickster

Hi all
    I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts on doing a couple of small trial runs of the milk diet?
    I have a few reasons for this, but mainly, I wanted to see how I go emotionally, and what the danger points might be. I was therefore thinking about doing it two or three days every week or two. What are people’s thoughts on this?
    I was a bit tempted to alter it slightly, and have soup in the evening, just to start with. I would welcome all thoughts please!

Lelly

@Vickster 33201 wrote:

Hi all
    I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts on doing a couple of small trial runs of the milk diet?
    I have a few reasons for this, but mainly, I wanted to see how I go emotionally, and what the danger points might be. I was therefore thinking about doing it two or three days every week or two. What are people’s thoughts on this?
    I was a bit tempted to alter it slightly, and have soup in the evening, just to start with. I would welcome all thoughts please!

My only concern pet is that I have been told that the first 3 days are the worst, so you will be going through the worse part again and again and you will be dreading the real diet event. It maybe good for you, I really don’t know but I think I will wait for the real thing, as we know that we have to do it, unless it makes us poorly and then we have to phone St Richards, as that is what we have been told and we are good girls and do what we are told :O) xxx

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi

There was another post on here recently from a guy who is doing this, great minds, eh?

I found the milk diet ok, dead easy and i wasn’t hungry. I don’t recall any day being “the worst part” as such but then i was doing it for real rather than a practice run. I think anything you can do before surgery that helps you lose any weight or gets you fitter will help your recovery afterwards. So give it a go. If you can combine it with increasing your levels of activity, you’ll be really helping yourself to be as healthy as possible before your op. Good luck

Chris x

Johnpettet

I started planning for mine 3 weeks ago breakfast porridge, homemade soup & fruit packs for lunch and a small dinner, no suger & no booze! Lost about 4kg!, I am now on day 4 of my milk diet and I feel good & it’s better than I thought! Just need to plan you have enough milk & jelly!!
    John

treeza

Hi I’m not sure about doing if 3 days a week if I’m honest maybe a day a week so you get a feel for it.
    John you are so right. being prepared is so important. Having the milk there & the jelly set every day is vital in my opinion. If it isn’t you may be tempted to just gran something else.
    It also get you used to being prepared post op. You have to think ahead especially if your going to work or out for the day or evening etc.
    as they say in the scots & guides. Be prepared x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Johnpettet 33213 wrote:

I started planning for mine 3 weeks ago breakfast porridge, homemade soup & fruit packs for lunch and a small dinner, no suger & no booze! Lost about 4kg!, I am now on day 4 of my milk diet and I feel good & it’s better than I thought! Just need to plan you have enough milk & jelly!!
    John

I have toast and marmite for breakfast, porridge and nuts for lunch and soup or a very small meal for dinner. At night I have a milky drink (low fat milk.) I more or less have the same thing every day. It appeals to my OCD haha! It sounds weird but I prefer to have limits on what I can eat. I get overwhelmed by choice and I’m NOT an adventurous eater – never have been.

You are doing brilliantly.

Doodah x

Lelly

OK, so I have decided to take the Vicksters advice and I have started the milk diet, a not so dry run, so to speak. Today is day two and my only problems are that I seem to be cold all the time and an issue with my tum but I have issues there anyway and saying that it was probably my fault. I am pleased to say that I am not hungry at all but I do feel that I am sloshing with all this liquid. I did think that 4 pints of milk would not be much but goodness me I am struggling to drink it all, I couldn’t manage it all yesterday, almost a pint short. Today to try and help this I tried making a milk jelly as that would get rid of a pint but I failed, it ended up like scrambled eggs, yuk! One week and five day’s to go, I decided to do this as my weight has been up and down and now just staying the same, so I wanted to kick start it and know what to expect. Please if you are waiting like me for your bypass don’t be scared of this diet, it really is not bad, not hungry at all and I have lost 1kg in a day.

Lelly x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Vickster 33201 wrote:

Hi all

So long as you check it with your team and they give you the go ahead, I think it is an excellent idea! So much so, that I wish I had thought of it when I was waiting for my surgery date.

The pre op diet can also be used as a ‘back to basics’ tactic for the future. If you feel your habits are slipping back a bit. It’s then called the ‘pouch test’ and can possibly give better restriction again, in addition to re setting your mind, so to speak. This is to be checked with your team first too, of course

So, I would give it a resounding YES. But never do anything until you have checked it with your team. I’m not a clinician and am not permitted to give clinical advice but I can advise you to check with your team (or GP) first.

My main suggestion is – don’t alter it in any way if you are going to try it. You need to know exactly what you will be dealing with if you are going to do it.

Hope this reply is helpful Vickster. I know all the other fab people on this forum will also give you ideas. We are so lucky to have each other to turn to. This place has been a life line for me for over 6 years. 🙂

Doodah x

Lelly

Well I have completed three day’s of the Milk Diet and I weighed myself this morning and in two day’s I have lost 8lb, I am astonished. I haven’t altered the diet at all as I wanted to know what to expect when I have to do it. I am not hungry at all, well impressed.

Lelly

bikerchris
    Participant

I also enjoyed the milk diet and wasn’t hungry. And every pound lost now is one less to lose post op.

Are you managing your salty drink? I was at the Harrow group last week and some members were recalling how their oxo cube was the highlight of their day on the milk diet. But to me all the options were grim, I just could not stomach the thought of swigging back what is essentially thin gravy, ugh! I ended up licking a spoon dipped in Marmite and then having half a pint of water. I worked on the assumption it’d work out the same.

Lelly

@bikerchris 33567 wrote:

I also enjoyed the milk diet and wasn’t hungry. And every pound lost now is one less to lose post op.

Are you managing your salty drink? I was at the Harrow group last week and some members were recalling how their oxo cube was the highlight of their day on the milk diet. But to me all the options were grim, I just could not stomach the thought of swigging back what is essentially thin gravy, ugh! I ended up licking a spoon dipped in Marmite and then having half a pint of water. I worked on the assumption it’d work out the same.

I have to say Chris I look forward to my evening mug of Bovril and even run my finger around the inside when I have finished. I have lost another pound today, I am loving this! I love Marmite but not sure I could eat a spoonful of it though :O)
    Lelly

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 33567 wrote:

This has made me giggle so much!! I love how we all find different ways around things. I now have a picture in my head of you licking a spoonful of marmite and washing it down with a water chaser haha! I should imagine the end result is exactly the same but don’t quote me on it!

Doodah x

Vickster

I decided to also have a practice run, so started yesterday. I know it’s early days, but it is brilliant! Have lost four pounds overnight!!!

Doodah
    Keymaster

WOW! That’s incredible! I bet you are pleased?

Doodah x

Vickster

Thanks Doodah, I am really pleased, but have just weighed myself today and have only lost another pound. I am pleased with this, but you know what it’s like, we always want more (or maybe I should say less?!).
    But I am loving the diet. I am loving how easy it is!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media