Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Migraines, Pain Killers and Post Op ??s

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31181

    Hi my op date is 31st December 2012 with Shaw Somers at QA Portsmouth,

    I am so excited about it all but its occurred to me this week about migraines and how people cope with them post op as well as being able to take pain killers for other especially abdominal pain relief?

    Not at all sure how I will mentally get through the liver shrinkage diet going right through Christmas week as I need to start it on the 17th, I would be absolutely fine and dandy all by myself but factor in ones own children, husband and in-law family guests all asking me if I’m sure i dont want to have anything with them and looking at me like I’ve slaughtered the entire meal with my own hands when it was alive so I could prepare it for them, and we have a bit of a problem. I discussed briefly with my own children about the cooking today how I’d help get it all in to the cooker but then would want to hide for a bit whilst the rest of the cooking takes place as by the day itself “Christmas Day” I’ll be dying for some real veggies or potatoes I would have thought.

    So migraine sufferers, how have you handled them post operatively? I’d be very interested to know this especially as I’ve just had a rather hellish week of them myself.

    Thanks, Helen 😀

    #48569
    Paul-H
    Participant

    Hi

    What surgery are you having, if its a bypass or sleeve you will not be able to take any form of pain killer that is acetylsalicylic acid based, so Asprin and Ibruprofen based are out for life, Paracetamol is fine. Talk to your team as there may be other options available that are ok to take post surgery.

    Paul

    #48570

    Thanks Paul, Mr Somers said he’ll go in for the bypass all the way but if he really can not do it because of previous reconstructive surgery complications then he’ll do a Y sleeve. I cant take the others anyway at the moment, after several months of being on orlistat and loosing just over five stone in weight since Feb the lining of my tummy is sensitive now so paracetamols with the occasional codeine is about all I can manage at the moment. I’ve been in migraine hell all week so wondered what on earth I can do about them after the op on the 31st December if one should flare up again. I have a feeling they might because of the lack of food intake during the first couple of weeks.

    @Paul-H 26804 wrote:

    Hi

    What surgery are you having, if its a bypass or sleeve you will not be able to take any form of pain killer that is acetylsalicylic acid based, so Asprin and Ibruprofen based are out for life, Paracetamol is fine. Talk to your team as there may be other options available that are ok to take post surgery.

    Paul

    #48567
    Ganny
    Participant

    Hi,
    I was very lucky post bypass as I didn’t need a lot of pain relief in hospital. I brought disolveable paracetamol with codeine for when I come out just in case I needed something, which as it happened I didn’t. Now at 20 months post bypass I just take one paracetamol if I have a headache as the normal two knocks me for six. Bit of a bummer being on the milk diet over the holidays but just think what you are going to get at the end of and remain positive. You should be well into it by the time the Christmas day gets here and what I would do in your shoes is when everybody is tucking into the turkey have your brovril and follow it by some of your sugar free jelly so you are actually putting “food” into your mouth so you don’t feel as if you are missing out, plenty of diet drinks and you will sail through. I must admit I enjoyed being on the milk diet and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be and I know being postitive and reminding myself every day what was waiting at the end of it pulled me through.
    Best of luck
    Elaine xx

    #48571

    Thanks Elaine I am very excited and can not wait to get started on the milk diet in prep for my op its the attitudes of everyone else that annoys me, the way they ask me if I want chocolate biscuits or cake and when I say no they look at me like I’ve just told them I’ve done something terrible. So with Christmas dinner and boxing day I can just imagine what its going to be like. I was planning on staying well away up in my room with headphones on listening to a good audiobook with my jelly whilst they all have their dinners, that way I’d be well out of the way for the cleaning up as well LOL

    @Ganny 26810 wrote:

    Hi,
    I was very lucky post bypass as I didn’t need a lot of pain relief in hospital. I brought disolveable paracetamol with codeine for when I come out just in case I needed something, which as it happened I didn’t. Now at 20 months post bypass I just take one paracetamol if I have a headache as the normal two knocks me for six. Bit of a bummer being on the milk diet over the holidays but just think what you are going to get at the end of and remain positive. You should be well into it by the time the Christmas day gets here and what I would do in your shoes is when everybody is tucking into the turkey have your brovril and follow it by some of your sugar free jelly so you are actually putting “food” into your mouth so you don’t feel as if you are missing out, plenty of diet drinks and you will sail through. I must admit I enjoyed being on the milk diet and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be and I know being postitive and reminding myself every day what was waiting at the end of it pulled me through.
    Best of luck
    Elaine xx

    #48562
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    @myheartexposed 26802 wrote:

    Hi my op date is 31st December 2012 with Shaw Somers at QA Portsmouth,

    I am so excited about it all but its occurred to me this week about migraines and how people cope with them post op as well as being able to take pain killers for other especially abdominal pain relief?

    Not at all sure how I will mentally get through the liver shrinkage diet going right through Christmas week as I need to start it on the 17th, I would be absolutely fine and dandy all by myself but factor in ones own children, husband and in-law family guests all asking me if I’m sure i dont want to have anything with them and looking at me like I’ve slaughtered the entire meal with my own hands when it was alive so I could prepare it for them, and we have a bit of a problem. I discussed briefly with my own children about the cooking today how I’d help get it all in to the cooker but then would want to hide for a bit whilst the rest of the cooking takes place as by the day itself “Christmas Day” I’ll be dying for some real veggies or potatoes I would have thought.

    So migraine sufferers, how have you handled them post operatively? I’d be very interested to know this especially as I’ve just had a rather hellish week of them myself.

    Thanks, Helen 😀

    Hi Helen, fellow migraine sufferer here!

    I take Sumatriptan to stop it in it’s tracks. It really works for me. Tiny little tablet too.

    However, I think you should contact your team for advice on this one. Do NOT think it is a silly question as they are there to help you at EVERY single step of this amazing journey you are embarking upon. I would say to everyone – never give clinical advice to anyone else. I don’t. We are all so different and some of us have medical conditions we don’t disclose here. It’s always best to ask your team. If ever there is anyhting you don’t want anyone else to know, private message me and I will get in touch with the relavent person for you. It might take longer to get an answer but it’s a way round it.

    As for the Christmas meal dilemma – just tell your family how you want it to go. They will be terrified of upsetting you just as much as you will be of seeming a bit of a ‘Bah, Humbug’!! Be honest about what will be difficult and sort it all out in advance. I’m already in discussion with my Mum about what I can eat bless her. She always wants to make sure I have all the lovely things possible so I don’t feel left out: even if it’s an unusual or exotic fruit! I’m going to have Sharon fruit for my starter – YUM.

    Hope this helps Helen. I admire you SO much.

    Doodah x

    #48568

    Migraine sufferer here too and I totally worried about this. However it’s worked out well and I think I gave less migraines post op! Although its hard to tell as I seem to go though stages over the years . I too use sumatriptan ( imigram is brand name) I gave tablets and injections. I have to say post op I find injections work better for me , tablets seem to take forever to kick in . I actually do take ibuprofen on occasion which my surgeon ok’d on a very occasional basis as long as I continue to take lansoprazole to protect my tummy. I’m very cautious with this and only take when absolutely necessary I.e. stuck at work with migraine – cant have injection at work as need to sleep for hours after so use ibuprofen to get me to home time!!!! I would never recommend doing this without discussing with team as I know we’re not really meant to take NSAID !!!!
    Hope your migraines improve with weight loss like mine have. Please feel free to PM me with any questions xxx

    #48563
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    I never take NSAIDs because of my asthma. I react really badly to them 🙁

    Hope you get some luck with your team Helen x

    Doodah x

    #48572

    thank you squeekyfruitbat (fantastic user ID 🙂 and Doodah Sue 🙂

    I am having my pre op tests and they said I will have a chance to ask questions too this Friday from 10am onwards so I’m really looking forward to it now. I’m also doing the filming for fat surgeons too next week so its all exciting but again today I’m in my darkened room resting which is so annoying after such an amazing gym session on Monday.

    Will keep you posted 🙂

    #48564
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    SUCH exciting times ahead for you! Let’s just hope they can help you tackle the migraines. I’m so happy for you xx

    #48573

    thank you so much Doodah Sue xx

    @Doodah 26859 wrote:

    SUCH exciting times ahead for you! Let’s just hope they can help you tackle the migraines. I’m so happy for you xx

    #48565
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    🙂 I love it when you call me that x

    #48574

    That’s who you’ll always be to me, its cute and special just the way you are 😀

    @Doodah 26868 wrote:

    🙂 I love it when you call me that x

    #48566
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    Aw, thanks my lovely xx

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media