Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Metformin after bypass

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » Metformin after bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

Got a quick question, I have got to see my GP next week for my post bypass medication review. Before my bypass I was a type 2 diabetic on Metformin, I was told thatbasmsoon as I have had my bypass I will no longer need to take the Metformin, so I stopped it. I have been monitoring my BG levels and they have never been higher than 6 so it looks like all is well.

So when I go to my GP I was going to ask him to stop the metformin, trouble is I have now been told by a diabetic nurse on another wls forum that the latest advice is to not stop taking the metformin as it has been proven to offer good cardiovascular protection, or at most cut the dose to half but defiantly stay on it.

So anyone here post opp and been told to stay on it. Or anyone got any links to published data saying I should stay on them.

Sorry it was not quite as quick as I thought it would be.

Thanks

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

Almost everyone I know who was on Metformin pre surgery is now no longer taking it. Listen to what your team say as they will have your full medical history in front of them with which to decide what is best for YOU.

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Bugger, I was hoping I would be kept on it, as my medication bill is going to get very expensive, especially after the recent prescription price rise, I will still be on 6 items at £7.65 an item, if they had kept me on Metformin I would have got them for free, now it looks like its going to cost £45 a month just to be sick. And I don’t work because of my disabilities but don’t get a penny in Benefits because I was self employed when I became disabled. And the wife has a minimum wage job and has to do 90 hours a week just to make ends meet.

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

Paul, you can buy a pre-payment certificate from the NHS. I have one as I take nine tablets every day and 2 puffers. It costs about £10 a month in installments and covers EVERYTHING you will ever need.

Where can I get a PPC (prescription prepayment certificate)? – Health questions – NHS Choices

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other advice ok?

Doodah x

Doodah
    Keymaster

I’m going to put this link in one of the sections about health care in general so it will always be there for everyone to see.

charabanc

Hi Paul,
    I am not an expert in such matters, but just because you don’t take metformin does not mean you are automatically not diabetic and taken off free prescriptions. I would suggest you talk to your GP and if all else fails, take Doodah’s advice and buy a pre-payment certificate.
    I only say this because for a while, I managed to control my diabetes with diet (not any longer!), and my GP stopped the dreaded metformin but I was able to get all other stuff free still, as I was still classed as diabetic. However, they do change the rules, so best to check it out.
    Good Luck.

Doodah
    Keymaster

It might be the case that they will view the diabetes as ‘in remission’ for the forseeable future so like charabanc says, check with your GP first. Hope you get the result you want 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

It’s my understanding that diabetics only get free prescriptions if they are on Insulin or Tablets, if you are what’s classed as diet controlled, which is whe we are after a bypass you don’t qualify for the free prescriptions. That’s my understanding of the rules, unless I am wrong And I am obviously more than happy to be proved wrong. Still I have 18 months left on my certificate so plenty of time to get this sorted. I will be seeing my GP next week, he is normally very helpful so hopefully he will see it my way.

Fingers crossed

Paul

Paul

Paul-H
    Participant

Thanks for the link Doodah

Did I read that correct, you only pay the one price regardless of how many items you have a month.

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

Absolutely right Paul. I have 2 inhalers, a nasal spray, antihistamines all for my asthma, then painkillers for arthritis, laxatives for the effects of the painkillers!, serc for menieres disease, multi vits and mins, Migraine tablets and finally Buscopan for the occasional stomach cramps. All that every month for a monthly payment of approx £10: can’t say fairer than that right?

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

I have now seen my GP for my post surgery medication review and without me asking he said its better to stay on the metformin after bypass, as although we are classed as being in remission or diet controlled there is evidence to suggest the diet controlled diabetics are still prone to getting many of the diabetic complications in later life, thing like heart attacks and strokes so he suggested that I should stay on them but at a lower dose, 1 tablet a day instead of 2, so result there.

Other changes made where I am now off all medication for COPD as that has go so much better post surgery, I am also off the Gabipentin that I took for neuropathic pain in my back, my blood pressure medication has been reduced, he also finally relented and changed me over from Zomorph to the patches, which last for 7 days so that might help with my constipation as morphine is prone to give that. My other meds are staying the same for the time being and that includes Statins And the antithrombotics.

So quite a few stopped and quite a few still to go, I hope to dump the blood pressure pills after I have dropped a couple more stone, but the biggest hope is that I will soon no longer need to use my CPAP machine for my sleep Aponea, the wife has already commented that on the odd occasion when I have fallen asleep without my mask on I don’t snore as much as I did, so hopefully it’s getting better.

Bye for now

Paul.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media