Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Medication Post Bypass

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » Medication Post Bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice on taking Medications after Bypass

Probably like many of you on here I take quite a few different pills for various ailments, at my pre op I was told what I can take and what I need to get changed for a different type for post op use as some of what I take are not suitable either because they don’t work with a bypass or they are too big.

Today I went to see my GP with the list of what needs changing only to be told that most of what’s on the list in not on the prescribable drugs list in my area.

Things like melt on the tongue Lansoprazole, he could only give me standard Gastro Resistant Capsules but said it should be ok to empty the capsule into a spoon of Yogurt.

The next was ZoMorph, which the Hospital said does not work after bypass as it a sustained release medication and they don’t work with a bypass. They said I should ask for a Patch version instead but my GP said in our area they have been told not to prescribe patches unless absolutely essential and as he has two other bypass patients on ZoMorph and they have not reported any issues I should give it a go and see, and if absolutely necessary he will proscribe the patches but would rather I gave the ZoMorph a go first.

I do have the utmost confidence in my GP but wonder if anyone on here are taking the same meds and did you change post op or where they fine.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

katy

Hi Paul
    I went to my gp (in Brighton) and he changed me onto fentanyl patches instead of slow release opiates. They do help but the transition was a little uncomfortable . He also changed lansoprazole capsules to fast tabs. The other stuff I take (20 odd pills a day) has no liquid alternative but I had a chat with the pharmacist who said most of my meds can be crushed or powder emptied out of capsules.
    It may be worth a chat with your pharmacist as they seem to know about this kind of thing,
    Take care
    Katy

Doodah
    Keymaster

@katy 21754 wrote:

Hi Paul
    I went to my gp (in Brighton) and he changed me onto fentanyl patches instead of slow release opiates. They do help but the transition was a little uncomfortable . He also changed lansoprazole capsules to fast tabs. The other stuff I take (20 odd pills a day) has no liquid alternative but I had a chat with the pharmacist who said most of my meds can be crushed or powder emptied out of capsules.
    It may be worth a chat with your pharmacist as they seem to know about this kind of thing,
    Take care
    Katy

Great advice Katy. It’s always worth having a chat with your pharmacist regarding which form of medication is available to you. I personally think they are a very overlooked department within clinical care. My pharmacist has an appointment with me every year to review my medications and suggests alternative’s if necessary, in tandem with what my GP advises.

Doodah x

Pauline

Hi all, does anybody know if centrum advance vitamin tabs can be crushed and taken in yoghurt ? I tried to ask a pharmacist at asda but she was very unhelpfull ! and just read the instructions on the bottle ! at the moment I can swallow them if broken in half, but this may not be possible after my first band fill

thanks for any advice !
    Pauline x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I found after my bypass that I crushed my multivitiam and empty out my capsules until I was able to swallow them but I am now 11 months on from my bypass and I am not on any meds now only the multivitiam+mineral and my calcium supplement. Had a lovely reactions from my wonderful GP yesterday, she has been on maternity leave since last June and the last time she saw me I had lost two and a half stone, I popped in yesterday just to say “hello” another seven stone lighter, she was amazed at me gave me a great big hug said she would not have known me unless I had spoken to her, got to go back next week for an appointment as she wants to just check me over, it will be nice just to catch up with as without her I would not have got my funding and had my bypass, I have a lot to thank her for.
    Elaine xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Pauline 21764 wrote:

Hi all, does anybody know if centrum advance vitamin tabs can be crushed and taken in yoghurt ? I tried to ask a pharmacist at asda but she was very unhelpfull ! and just read the instructions on the bottle ! at the moment I can swallow them if broken in half, but this may not be possible after my first band fill

thanks for any advice !
    Pauline x

I’m sure almost any type of tablet can be crushed and taken with yoghurt/fruid puree. However, some capsules are not meant to be opened up and swallowed as they are designed to release the medication slowly to avoid tummy trouble. If it were me, I’d check with your GP or practice nurse. Far better to be safe than sorry.

Doodah x

hazelann70

They gave me Forceval after my bypass which I had to squeeze out to take. I found I couldn’t take it once I was allowed to swallow them as they made my stomach burn and so I was switched to centrum advance. I also take the fasttabs and calcium along with the B12 every 3 months. Also take garlic and tumeric for my skin problem.

midge

I take thyroxine which I crunch, and fluoxetine capsules which I take with a hot drink. I also take Bassett multi vitamins which are chewable also liquid floradix is good
    Midge xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Great advice , as usual guys.

Doodah x

Pauline

Hi All, I went to see my gp today for a medication review and he weighed me, I have lost 8 kgs (17.5 lbs) in the past 5 weeks, so pleased with progress so far, but got stones and stones to go yet ! looking forward to my first fill on feb 27th as appetite is creeping back big time, I also asked my gp about crushing the centrum advance tablet, he agrees saying nil gastric irritants that could cause any damage by doing so, pleased about that as asda have them on offer at the mo , 3 months worth for £10.00. hope everyone is well
    Pauline x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Pauline 21812 wrote:

Hi All, I went to see my gp today for a medication review and he weighed me, I have lost 8 kgs (17.5 lbs) in the past 5 weeks, so pleased with progress so far, but got stones and stones to go yet ! looking forward to my first fill on feb 27th as appetite is creeping back big time, I also asked my gp about crushing the centrum advance tablet, he agrees saying nil gastric irritants that could cause any damage by doing so, pleased about that as asda have them on offer at the mo , 3 months worth for £10.00. hope everyone is well
    Pauline x

Thanks for that advice and price watch for us Pauline. There might be a stampede to Asda paharmacy haha!!

Doodah x

charabanc

Hi Folks,

I would like to know how many pills are needed to be taken on a daily basis after a gastric bypass operation? And for how long?
    I know you are going to say everyone is different, but there must be certain pills that have to be taken by every patient as standard.
    Hope you can help?
    Thanks.

Doodah
    Keymaster

We have to take a good quality vitamin and mineral supplement for life. You will most likely get some tablets that help your new tum to take home from the hospital. I took them for a month. Apart from that, you would only have to have further medications should any deficiencies arise, most commonly Iron and Calcium (women especially.) Hope that helps.

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I am just about a year post bypass and the only tablets I take are a multivitiam+ mineral and a calcium supplement and I know I will be on those for the rest of my life but hey I can live with taking those if it means me getting my life back and to be healthy. I am off all medication now which is wonderful. The only other tablets I took when I first had my op was anti acid tabs which I was prescibe at the hospital and they were just to settle the new stomach and I was only on those for about six weeks but every one is different and I don’t know if you are on any other medication now from your GP so you would need to seek their advice.
    Elaine xx

DawnMac

I had my op nearly 2 years ago and I’m still taking 3 lots of tabs I’ve stopped iron ones but was told will be on tabs for life now I’m wondering if that’s so. I have only had two check ups since my op as hospital would not transfer me over when I moved I am sure that can’t be good

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media