Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Medi alert jewellery

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    janie61

Hi everyone,
    I haven’t been on here for a while. I am approx 14 weeks post bypass and have lost just under 5stone. My question is that I have ordered a medi alert necklace so that if need be medical staff can treat me accordingly and contact streamline if they are concerned about my nutrition or procedures in the event of an accident. I have read somewhere that we shouldn’t have naso gastric tubes with our change of gastric anatomy , is this true. And is there anything else I should put on my info. P.s a lot of doctors are not clued up on our procedures and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Jane
    Jane

Jjj

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 25614 wrote:

Hi everyone,
    I haven’t been on here for a while. I am approx 14 weeks post bypass and have lost just under 5stone. My question is that I have ordered a medi alert necklace so that if need be medical staff can treat me accordingly and contact streamline if they are concerned about my nutrition or procedures in the event of an accident. I have read somewhere that we shouldn’t have naso gastric tubes with our change of gastric anatomy , is this true. And is there anything else I should put on my info. P.s a lot of doctors are not clued up on our procedures and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Jane
    Jane

Jjj

Hi Jane and welcvome back!

It’s true that you need to make any medics aware that you have had a bypass as you will be intollerant to certain medications (like a diabetic) and that naso-gastric tubes need to be administered very, very carefully. I will ask one of the surgeons exactly what the advice is so that we can all be 100% sure.
    This is an excellent question so thank you so much for posting it.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Right, I have the following answer to this question from Mr Chris Pring, one of our surgeons:

“NG tube is not a problem

If in doubt and in case of emergency, contact Streamline helpline number (0845 8385516) or direct medical practitioner to wls-emergency.org.uk

I’m sure you will agree that it certainly helps to have the difinitive answer from a surgeon. How good of him to answer so swiftly when he is such a busy man too!!

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Lauren.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by clare.williams.
    janie61

Thank you for your help Doodah, I do appreciate it and I also appreciate how busy the surgeons are and am very grateful. I’m going on my hols on Friday and don’t want to leave anything to chance. I intend to be in control of my own destiny lol.
    Jane

Lauren
    Keymaster

Good for you Janie. That’s what having wls is all about – taking back control of your life and improving it.

Doodah x

janie61

I’m just taking a leaf out of your book, Doodah, good luck with your forthcoming surgery I’m following your current thread 🙂

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thanks Janie. Have to admit to being a tiny bit nervous now! Not of the surgery but the two weeks of doing NOTHING then another 4 weeks till back 100% and driving etc. I’m not a very patient patient lol. High pain threshold – low boredom one. I’m going to get some DVD box sets and a few books. And bizarrely, I find colouring-in books very relaxing and therapeutic (just call me a big kid.) I’ve also ordered a rotating hair dryer/brush thingy so that I don’t have to look like a scarecrow for two weeks. Vanity, thy name is Doodah haha!

Doodah x

janie61

Doodah, two weeks is a minuscule amount of time to endure to get the body and life you want. Believe me if you can eat purée and mash for eight weeks this will be a walk in the park. And if you need to vent your frustrations then use us here on the forum, you are always there for everyone else and we shall be here for you.
    Jamie xxx

janie61

Blooming iPad,

JANIE xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Haha! Technology is so frustrating sometimes isn’t it? But what would we do without it? We wouldn’t have this place and that would be awful.

I know you are absolutely right about the two weeks. I’m my own worst enemy. Thank you for your support, it really does mean SO much. This forum is a little haven of positivity and enthusiasm that i try to nurture – we all need to be uplifted in our spirits. Not always about wls either. Sometimes, we just want to be heard. It’s a really tough world out there.

Doodah x

suthur1

I have a Medic Alert Dog Tag
    it says

R-N-Y Gastric Bypass
    No Blind N.G.T.
    No Nsaid’S

Also I have the same on a patch on my Motorcycle Leathers

janie61

Thanks for that I will put that on mine,it’s a great help

Lauren
    Keymaster

Mine will say RNY and Asthma which should cover about everything!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media