Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Losing my way

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    loulou19

Hi all

I am now 7 months out, have not had any issues with the bypass and have had slow but very steady and regular weight loss. I have lost 62lbs and have 20lbs to go to reach a normal BMi (which is my aim).

This last month I had 2 weeks of no weight loss, which I thought I would deal with and be fine about. But I really don’t feel that way ! Then last week I put on 2lbs, and feel awful – since then I have been grazing my way through the day on cereal and rice cakes, etc. I am not hungry, just feel a bit ‘out of control’. I am so scared of slipping back into my old habits. I know what I am doing but don’t seem to be strong enough or have my head in the right place to sort myself out.

Someone please give me a good talking to, tell me not to throw all this away and get a better perspective on this.

I would be so grateful, thank you
    xx

bikerchris
    Participant

First of all, this isn’t the end of the world. 2lb could be a blip or a natural fluctuation. But you asked for a talking to so I’ll go as far as telling you to stop buggering around!

It’s important to check first if there is a reason why you are making the decisions you are, are you stressed about something at home, your health, a loved one, your job? If so, once that issue is resolved, you’ll probably find your eating returns to normal.

You could try increasing fluids. I know you said it’s not about hunger but are you dehydrated? Are you bored? I identify with eating through boredom. You could try exercise as a distraction, go for a walk. Even tackling the housework or the ironing could work.

Choose your tactics, refocus and carry on. You can do it.

Good luck xx

loulou19

Thanks Chris, agreed the buggering around needs to stop.

Hadn’t thought about being dehydrated, until 6 weeks ago I kept a log of all my food and drink (a bit anal I know), so it’s entirely possible that I need to up my fluids. Very busy at home with houseful of relatives and guests, so have been putting their food requirements before my own, so totally out of routine.

This morning I am going to up the fluids and cut the carby snacks, I really don’t want to mess up. I will be so embarrassed when I see the dietician if I have not lost any weight.

Xx

Kimberly
    Participant

I would defiantly increase my fluids , but also look at what type of protein your eating , do you need hard ear protein ? Like chicken steak . . Look at the type of snack are you able to eat apples , I found oranges brilliant but they have to be ice cold . I’ve also been making my own ice lolly with nas squash and I love crunching them . If all else fails its boiled eggs that will fils me up . Just some ideals . Yesterday I didn’t eat much and then was really hungry about 10 ish was about to attack the crackers cheese , but had a weetabix and hot milk. , that worked that time .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@loulou19 34321 wrote:

Thanks Chris, agreed the buggering around needs to stop.

Hadn’t thought about being dehydrated, until 6 weeks ago I kept a log of all my food and drink (a bit anal I know), so it’s entirely possible that I need to up my fluids. Very busy at home with houseful of relatives and guests, so have been putting their food requirements before my own, so totally out of routine.

This morning I am going to up the fluids and cut the carby snacks, I really don’t want to mess up. I will be so embarrassed when I see the dietician if I have not lost any weight.

Xx

Please don’t put extra pressure on yourself about the dietitian being annoyed with you – it won’t happen! their job is to identify any problems, then equip you with the tools you need to put it right. You will NOT be judged.

Right, as for a 2lb weight gain. I can gain twice that if I get constipated! I take something to help and boom – fixed. We women are slaves to our hormones too. So don’t worry. Also, please don’t compare your weight loss with that of anyone else. We are all SO different.

Go back to the beginning and start again. Keep up your fluids (massively important, especially when it is warm) and decide to get back ‘on it’. Focus on getting healthier, not on what the scales say.

I’m so pleased you have come here and told us how you are feeling. We can’t help each other if we don’t know something is wrong or causing you problems. Let us know how you are getting on and remember to be very proud of the weight you have already lost!

Doodah x

treeza

Try not to be too hard on yourself Hun. Concentrate on how well you’ve done so far thinking of the positives & not the negative can help you get back on track. I gained a bit a couple of weeks ago & after initially freaking out I gave myself a talking to & started to get myself back on track, I’m now nearly back to were I was just 2 pounds to go!!!. Drinking more fluids really helps so give that a go x take care xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

WATER BOTTLE HOLDER HANDS FREE ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAP FOR WALKS AND TREKS | eBay

I have bought each member of my family one of these. They are superb. I sling mine crossed over my body and hey presto, water available all day long! No more bottles of water in a bag that needs to be rummaged through to be found. I really would recommend them to everyone, not just people who have had wls.

Doodah x

loulou19

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Think I was just a bit too complacent then scared myself when I so easily put on weight. Have gone back to the basics to get myself sorted. This is the first time that I have seriously realised this is not an easy option xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@loulou19 34352 wrote:

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Think I was just a bit too complacent then scared myself when I so easily put on weight. Have gone back to the basics to get myself sorted. This is the first time that I have seriously realised this is not an easy option xx

It really, truly isn’t the easy option the media would have us believe it to be. It’s why I always congratulate people on their hard work when they have lost weight with wls. I’m glad you found our advice helpful. We are always here for you.

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media