Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Looking for ideas

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have a weekend away coming up and I’m looking for some ideas food-wise. This is a motorcycling weekend with my bike club and I’m really looking forward to it. We are staying in a B & B and I have checked they can cater for my needs at breakfast. However I’m a bit stuck for other meals, ordinarily, bike club meal breaks are taken at burger vans in a lay-by or at a chip shop, clearly no good for me. So I wonder what I can take with me to eat on the go that does not need refrigeration,as I will have to carry it with me. So far, I can only think of canned tuna and breadsticks, which would be a bit dull for the entire weekend but I could put up with it.

I’m 9 weeks post op and by the time of the weekend it will be 12 week. I am on a varied but soft-ish diet and I have been lucky that I have tolerated well almost everything I have tried, except hummus (which made me feel most peculiar and I have no desire to repeat that).

Anyway if there are any forum members who go camping or who are used to travelling without access to a fridge, I’d be grateful to hear what you eat.

Thanks, Chris x

Kimberly
    Participant

I had baked bean jacket potatoes . Oatcakes are good , if all else when I’m in a tight spot I have a skinny milky coffee . Can you eat eggs some people can so scrambled egg . How about soup in a flask ? . I’m camping in the summer but take a fridge . Corn beef in a tin , baked beans cold in snack pot . Crackers tin Oliver can you have nuts ! Their good protein . You be surprised that some van will cook you an egg or a piece chicken . Sorry can think of any more x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32346 wrote:

Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have a weekend away coming up and I’m looking for some ideas food-wise. This is a motorcycling weekend with my bike club and I’m really looking forward to it. We are staying in a B & B and I have checked they can cater for my needs at breakfast. However I’m a bit stuck for other meals, ordinarily, bike club meal breaks are taken at burger vans in a lay-by or at a chip shop, clearly no good for me. So I wonder what I can take with me to eat on the go that does not need refrigeration,as I will have to carry it with me. So far, I can only think of canned tuna and breadsticks, which would be a bit dull for the entire weekend but I could put up with it.

I’m 9 weeks post op and by the time of the weekend it will be 12 week. I am on a varied but soft-ish diet and I have been lucky that I have tolerated well almost everything I have tried, except hummus (which made me feel most peculiar and I have no desire to repeat that).

Anyway if there are any forum members who go camping or who are used to travelling without access to a fridge, I’d be grateful to hear what you eat.

Thanks, Chris x

Hi Chris

What an exciting weekend ahead! I’m pretty jealous I have to say, being a bit of a biker chic in my youth!

As for taking things that do not require refrigeration, you have a few options. Canned goods are great for obvious reasons and so are jars – fruits, vegetables especially good. Also, how about things like cous cous? A burger van will be happy to pour boiling water on it for you. Pop on the lid, 5 mins later et voilà! You could then add tinned tuna or salmon (in fact any protein in a can that isn’t too fatty) or a small amount of cheese, especially the ones that are in wax like Baby belle. Fresh fruit is good so long as it isn’t the type that would ripen in five minutes in the warm weather! Satsumas, oranges etc. Then there is always crackers. I used to carry crackers and baby belles everywhere with me plus a satsuma or apple. Just make sure that anything canned is in either water or juice not syrup or brine.

Above all else – bottled water. Stay hydrated and ENJOY YOURSELF!

Hope this is helpful. Would love to see some pics too 😉

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Just thought Chris it might be worth looking in the Baratric mega store x

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Chris’s can you eat a boiled egg , coz you could alway boil them in a kettle and have one for lunch , but this. Might be too soon for you x

bikerchris
    Participant

These are all great ideas, I will make sure I have several options with me. I like the idea of boiling an egg in a kettle, haha. I can tolerate eggs well, in fact just had one scrambled and baked beans for tea, yum!

Chris x

Doodah
    Keymaster

I sometimes boil my eggs in the kettle at home out of sheer laziness haha!

A thermos cup is also great for soups (home made are always best as no extra sugar/salt/chemicals)

Bariatrics megastore

RETURN TO SLENDER COOKBOOK IS HERE | Carol

On the go | Provence Rose Travel Cup | CathKidston

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Doodah.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by clare.williams.
    bikerchris
    Participant

Well I’ve been away and managed ok, the weather was great, the motorcycling was fun and my food was how it should be.

As it turned out, I only needed 2 meals from my stash as we ate in a restaurant both evenings and both had something suitable, although even a starter portion is too much for me still. And trying to explain in the b & b that I’d like a small serving of scrambled egg, they served me probably 3 eggs with 2 slices of toast. Anyway I just imagined my ramekin and ate to that.

A bonus of my weight loss so far was being able to manage to walk up from the harbour side to the b & b each day without being too exhausted. If anyone has ever been to Whitby, you’ll know it is a steep climb. All through this weekend i felt a new happiness and confidence in my new self

Chris

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32425 wrote:

Well I’ve been away and managed ok, the weather was great, the motorcycling was fun and my food was how it should be.

As it turned out, I only needed 2 meals from my stash as we ate in a restaurant both evenings and both had something suitable, although even a starter portion is too much for me still. And trying to explain in the b & b that I’d like a small serving of scrambled egg, they served me probably 3 eggs with 2 slices of toast. Anyway I just imagined my ramekin and ate to that.

A bonus of my weight loss so far was being able to manage to walk up from the harbour side to the b & b each day without being too exhausted. If anyone has ever been to Whitby, you’ll know it is a steep climb. All through this weekend i felt a new happiness and confidence in my new self

Chris

Firstly, I am SO jealous that you have been to Whitby! I have always wanted to go there and don’t understand why I haven’t!! I would love to go to the Gothic event. I am very keen on Gothic and Romantic literature so I know I would love it.

It sounds like you managed perfectly! I hope you are pleased and can see that having wls is not the end of a social life or holidays! In fact, it is the complete opposite. Travelling becomes easier on so many levels. I look forward to hearing all about your future ones 😉

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I’m so please for you Chris , it’s so exciting doing things after surgery . I’m off camping at the end of the month , I’m so excited x

bikerchris
    Participant

That’s brilliant Kimberly, I bet you’ll have a ball. Where are you going?

I love camping but haven’t been for ages. It was a great pleasure to chuck my tent on the back of my bike and tour all over Europe with my biker buddies. I’ve even been on my own a few times, the freedom is wonderful. When I stopped camping, I told people it was because I preferred more comfort as I got older, but the reality was that I couldn’t fit into a sleeping bag anymore, nor could I get in and out my little tent or up off the ground with any dignity at my size.

So now I’m thinking that I have a.week off in early September. Assuming my weight loss continues and my health continues to improve, and that the weather stays decent, i could easily roar off to France for a week. Now that would be something to look forward to.

Chris x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32430 wrote:

That’s brilliant Kimberly, I bet you’ll have a ball. Where are you going?

I love camping but haven’t been for ages. It was a great pleasure to chuck my tent on the back of my bike and tour all over Europe with my biker buddies. I’ve even been on my own a few times, the freedom is wonderful. When I stopped camping, I told people it was because I preferred more comfort as I got older, but the reality was that I couldn’t fit into a sleeping bag anymore, nor could I get in and out my little tent or up off the ground with any dignity at my size.

So now I’m thinking that I have a.week off in early September. Assuming my weight loss continues and my health continues to improve, and that the weather stays decent, i could easily roar off to France for a week. Now that would be something to look forward to.

Chris x

This post has made me smile SO much! It’s what wls is all about. yes it’s great to look better and be able to shop for clothes on the high street, but being able to do the things you love with no physical restrictions anymore has to be very near the top of the bonus list.

It doesn’t just give you back your life – it gives you a better one because you appreciate everything so much more! I will be wishing for that better weather in early September (it’s also my birthday time lol!) so that you can roar off to France. Then I want to hear all about it.

Hearing how you all get back to living, instead of existing, is THE high point of my job. I love it when you are too busy to come on here because you are off living life to the full 😉

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Oh chriss you made me laugh , I do I think it’s glaming , trailer tent with of the bed off the floor , but I been to scared to share my side with hubby , as I was terrified that with my weight and him it would break . I take a gazebo , conference table and 6 chairs , also camping arm chairs and a portable fridge . I even take my duvet with me lol . As you can imagine our car is packed . But I love it I really relax . It’s not a proper camp site it’s the bath and west show ground, so no electric , and portal showers and toilets . I really unwind . I been think about what I will eat , their are food van were I can get my coffee and jacket and beans . But I think I just stick to eggs and ready break with Brazil nut for lunch . And a veg burger and beans for dinner . They do burgers but I’m struggling with how fatty they seem to me ATM .

bikerchris
    Participant

Ah Kimberly, there is camping and then there is camping. I always say I get a purer experience keeping it basic. But if I could take a bed and a comfy chair with me on the bike, I would.

Chris x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32441 wrote:

Ah Kimberly, there is camping and then there is camping. I always say I get a purer experience keeping it basic. But if I could take a bed and a comfy chair with me on the bike, I would.

Chris x

Haha! I now have visions of you sitting on a chair on top of a bike like Grandma in ‘The Beverly Hillbillies’!!

You might be too young to know this reference!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

Right at the beginning of this clip (after the annoying ads) you will see what I mean!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media