Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Long plateau

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    johnyeti

I’ve hit a very long plateau. It’s been about a year now. I eat great & exercise right, but still stay in the same 5 lb area.

I’ve been told to exercise more or less & to eat more or less calories. It didn’t work. I tried the Slow Carb diet, it didn’t work. I’ve tried going liquid for a week, it didn’t work.

Does anybody have any advice that will help?

Irene

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
    Have you phoned the dietician at the hospital? If not give them a try.
    Keep us posted.

johnyeti

The nutritionist gave me a plan in the beginning. I followed that plan & lost about 150 lbs. Then, I stopped. So for 6 months, I was on the same plan, but no loss. Every time i have a checkup they give me the same info.

So, yes I have, but I was still following it, & in fact I’ve probably been on a better plan.

They tell me to exercise more, so I do. They tell me to watch my GI, so I do. It’s the same thing each time for a while. Thyroid’s fine. Everything checks out. IDK.

Ms Ellie

Hi there johnyeti welcome, firstly congratulations on your superb weight loss 150lbs is not to be sniffed at!!!

I understand you must be feeling quite hacked off at the moment at hitting that plateau but this is quite normal. I’m sorry that I’m not that helpful but can I suggest maybe that you change your diet around try eating different foods etc.

Good luck and keep us posted x

johnyeti

lol I have tried that many times. I’ve tried no carbs, low carbs, high protein, low protein, high fat, low fat, etc.

Nothing seems to work.

@johnyeti 15597 wrote:

The nutritionist gave me a plan in the beginning. I followed that plan & lost about 150 lbs. Then, I stopped. So for 6 months, I was on the same plan, but no loss. Every time i have a checkup they give me the same info.

So, yes I have, but I was still following it, & in fact I’ve probably been on a better plan.

They tell me to exercise more, so I do. They tell me to watch my GI, so I do. It’s the same thing each time for a while.
    Thyroid’s fine. Everything checks out. IDK.

johnyeti-this is sooo common
    please don’t worry
    there just isn’t much on this forum for this situation which I AM trying and determined to change!!!!
    I have lost 162lbs but have to diet on a very strict 850 to 1000 calories per day
    just to maintain or else i gain!!!!
    I am still officially classed as obese with a bmi of 40 and am 27 months post bypass so i know the struggles and frustrations you suffer and get furious when people who are NOT AT THIS STAGE in the weight loss journey YET presume it’s because we have gone back to our old (overeating ) ways
    All I can suggest is look at what got you here in the first place(please read my post ”compelled to eat” under the ”say hello” part of forum) and see if it rings any bells for you

Something REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE to help and advise the longer term bypass patient as our needs are so very different
    to the newbies mostly catered for on the forum
    without trying to teach you how to suck eggs
    its simply(YET CHALLENGING) a case of going back to basics
    EATING ONLY SMALL 350-400 CALORIE MEALS OF MAINLY PROTEIN BASED FOODS
    I KNOW HOW HARD THIS IS WHEN YOUR POUCH HAS STRETCHED AND YOU CAN EAT OFTEN AND ALL FOOD GROUPS AGAIN EVEN SUGARS WITHOUT ”DUMPING” TO STOP YOU
    I have posted what I ate today
    it’s not easy and I honestly believed that pre op( and also early post op) that i had FINALLY got this thing licked
    ha ha ha lol!!!! the fates laugh at me!!!!
    sometimes i feel hunger so bad my stomach rumbles and i am not able to sleep
    Pre op- I never allowed myself to feel hunger as i always ate as that ”full” feeling gave me a sense of calm and peace I so needed in my very stressful working and private life.
    wHICH is why i Wrote my post ”COMPELLED TO EAT”
    so I drink litres of still water and tea just to TRY to fill me up
    I am able to eat much more now but FORCE MYSELF to leave food even on a tiny toddler’s plate
    i eat fish
    eggs
    cheese in only 28 g portions
    handfull of roasted almonds
    bro biotic yogurts for calcium
    small bananas
    steam chicken and white cabbage
    blueberries
    steamed white cos/haddock fillet
    king prawns
    thats it
    and i NEVER lose a single pound and am still 259lbs (100 lbs overweight)
    but on the rare occasions when i introduce carbs even complex carbs like oatmeal
    i GAIN 5LBS
    so its hard
    dieting is hard
    bypass is hard
    being fat is hard
    CHOOSE
    YOUR
    HARD
    Best of luck xxx

Ms Ellie

@stilltryingsohard 15717 wrote:

johnyeti-this is sooo common
    please don’t worry
    there just isn’t much on this forum for this situation which I AM trying and determined to change!!!!
    I have lost 162lbs but have to diet on a very strict 850 to 1000 calories per day
    just to maintain or else i gain!!!!
    I am still officially classed as obese with a bmi of 40 and am 27 months post bypass so i know the struggles and frustrations you suffer and get furious when people who are NOT AT THIS STAGE in the weight loss journey YET presume it’s because we have gone back to our old (overeating ) ways
    All I can suggest is look at what got you here in the first place(please read my post ”compelled to eat” under the ”say hello” part of forum) and see if it rings any bells for you

Something REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE to help and advise the longer term bypass patient as our needs are so very different
    to the newbies mostly catered for on the forum
    without trying to teach you how to suck eggs
    its simply(YET CHALLENGING) a case of going back to basics
    EATING ONLY SMALL 350-400 CALORIE MEALS OF MAINLY PROTEIN BASED FOODS
    I KNOW HOW HARD THIS IS WHEN YOUR POUCH HAS STRETCHED AND YOU CAN EAT OFTEN AND ALL FOOD GROUPS AGAIN EVEN SUGARS WITHOUT ”DUMPING” TO STOP YOU
    I have posted what I ate today
    it’s not easy and I honestly believed that pre op( and also early post op) that i had FINALLY got this thing licked
    ha ha ha lol!!!! the fates laugh at me!!!!
    sometimes i feel hunger so bad my stomach rumbles and i am not able to sleep
    Pre op- I never allowed myself to feel hunger as i always ate as that ”full” feeling gave me a sense of calm and peace I so needed in my very stressful working and private life.
    wHICH is why i Wrote my post ”COMPELLED TO EAT”
    so I drink litres of still water and tea just to TRY to fill me up
    I am able to eat much more now but FORCE MYSELF to leave food even on a tiny toddler’s plate
    i eat fish
    eggs
    cheese in only 28 g portions
    handfull of roasted almonds
    bro biotic yogurts for calcium
    small bananas
    steam chicken and white cabbage
    blueberries
    steamed white cos/haddock fillet
    king prawns
    thats it
    and i NEVER lose a single pound and am still 259lbs (100 lbs overweight)
    but on the rare occasions when i introduce carbs even complex carbs like oatmeal
    i GAIN 5LBS
    so its hard
    dieting is hard
    bypass is hard
    being fat is hard
    CHOOSE
    YOUR
    HARD
    Best of luck xxx

Great to see you posting still xxx

thanks darling Ellie xxxx

Janifred

Such a great post. Clarifies a possibility after bypass. Thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

you are so welcome
    glad you liked it x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media