Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Light Headedness and Energy Levels

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tinkly_roars

Hi all

I’m 14 weeks post op and doing well – I’m eating an average of 3 meals a day and 2 snacks on most days. I’m relatively active as I have 2 year old twin girls to look after and I work full time, walking (well more like a route march!! lol) to and from work everyday which takes about 25 minutes each way. Although I feel i’m doing well, I do have a slight concern about my energy levels as most days i end up feeling quite shaky and tired as though my blood sugar levels have dipped. Having a meal doesn’t seem to fix the problem. I have to say its worse during my menstrual week so don’t know if there is any connection.

I also wanted to ask if its normal to feel light headed most of the time? Nearly every time i stand up the room spins for a while. I don’t feel like i’m going to faint or anything i just feel a little bit unbalanced – then 10 seconds later i feel better again. I’d be grateful to hear from people who are further along in their journeys to see if this is normal for post bypassers.

Tinks xx

Are your iron levels ok?

Anonymous

Blood pressure changes, and thing to do tinks is to try to concentrate on substainable foods if you feel you dont have enough energy. it might be worth considering a protien shake middday or morning to give yourself some more energy.
    Just remember we absorb so much less, our intake is less but we venture on to doing so much more…
    We need t sustain energy.

Light headedness was quite common for me…. just sit back down take a few breaths and try again.

Ask for a check up at the doctors, 3 months is a good time.

More sustainable foods…. and the occasioanlly bannanna monkey…… love ya.

Buzz x

tinkly_roars

@needausername 19006 wrote:

Are your iron levels ok?

I had my bloods checked at 3 months and was told that they were normal so don’t think it can be that.

tinkly_roars

@Buzz 19007 wrote:

Blood pressure changes, and thing to do tinks is to try to concentrate on substainable foods if you feel you dont have enough energy. it might be worth considering a protien shake middday or morning to give yourself some more energy.
    Just remember we absorb so much less, our intake is less but we venture on to doing so much more…
    We need t sustain energy.

Light headedness was quite common for me…. just sit back down take a few breaths and try again.

Ask for a check up at the doctors, 3 months is a good time.

More sustainable foods…. and the occasioanlly bannanna monkey…… love ya.

Buzz x

Hi Buzz

Whats a banana monkey??

I try to ensure that all of my 3 main meals have both a source of protein and carbohydrate to ensure that i’m getting sufficient calories and most of my snacks are protein based i.e. milk/cheese/nuts etc – Don’t feel i can pack anything more into what i’m eating.

I’ve got a GP appointment on tuesday so i’m going to ask them to check my blood pressure and sugar levels. Also think i need to get onto my dietician again tomorrow and see if she can give me anymore tips on the food front. this lack of energy and shakiness is starting to get me down 🙁

ruby tuesday

Hi, as Tinks knows, my energy has totally crashed the last few days, whereas a few days post-op, I was fine. I manage a walk am, some days can do a bit more, others am in bed, wiped out. As I am only 2 weeks post op, I am on soup and sloppy food, which has not included meat as I thought it was too soon from all I have read, and can’t get much food in. I have had eggs, managed crispy bacon as I thought it might help, and spinach, no vitamin tabs as in first 2 weeks, but will ask for forceval when seeing doctor on Friday. I am having my period, could be adding to the problem, but some days just can’t raise the energy to do anything – which is frustrating and scarey. Have felt sick often, and taken tablets for that, but just don’t see how I can get my energy up on mashed and sloppy veg etc. Help!

Ps. forgot to say, have had home-made lentil soup for protein and home-made shepards pie too, so have been trying!

Pinkdancer

Hi girls

What about fluids – are you getting enough fluids down you?

Ruby – don’t forget you are re-cooperating from MAJOR surgery. Stay with it and let your body tell you what it needs, it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Rest and potter, keep your fluids up and bump up your protein as your body needs that to repair itself.

Tinks – you are doing the right thing getting it checked with your GP as you have been experiencing this for a little while now. I would also go back to your surgeons secretary drop her an email and ask for advice – probably worth them checking you out too as they are the experts.

Hope you have better days soon both of you xxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Really looking forward to seeing you all tonight so we can have a proper natter. I agree with Mandi about the hydration. Also, you have both mentioned your periods, so iron could be the culprit. We girlies need a lot of it at the best of times before wls so, it’s absolutely VITAL post op.

See you later my lovelies xx

ruby tuesday

I know I am not drinking enough, it is the timing round food that is the problem, as I used to drink more than the recommended amount before the op. Feeling down today, little dog walk, dog and nephew minding, have been snapping at everyone, so taking myself off to bed! Did cook flapjack for the kids this morning, but really not done much, and so tired.

Doodah
    Keymaster

We all missed you last night Ruby.

We all talked about tiredness and the ‘shakes’. Number one on the list of things to concentrate on was hydration, closely followed by protein intake: especially in the early days. Protein drinks came out tops for addressing both problems. Might be worth a try?

You have my mobile number if you need to chat and I can be round your house in 5 mins if you need a hug ok?

Love Doodah xx

johncg

Doodah, pop round and give me a hug…. Lol

Love John xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Aw, bless you John. Bit further to come though unfortunately xx

Pinkdancer

How you doing Ruby, Is the energy coming back at all yet, it is still very early days and drinking really does get easier in time. set yourself some little targets like need to drink this cup within the next hour, use a small cup/ glass and you will feel like you have achieved something.

Hang in there honey, you are doing really well and still supporting everyonelse too xx

ruby tuesday

I’m finding it harder than it was at the moment, with most things I eat nearly coming back up, and not doing much due to the nausea and tiredness. Can get ice cold water down, easier with a straw to drink more, but even fluids as well as foods give me lower stomach cramps when I eat, so all in all, bleugh!!

Pinkdancer

I have got it !!! You need some hugs from a load of losers!! You need some osmosis of love from us all. Lets meet up on wednesday this week…. we can pick you up and carry you to the car and recline you on the sofa while we administer our love to you Rubs – you deserve it honey xx I promise you will feel so much better with some moral support.

Maybe someone will have some ideas that might help xxx There are so many bumps along the way but no one ever said it would be easy unfortunately, but it will get better, even if it doesn’t feel like that at the moment. I promise it will get better and those inches will start to disappear xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media