Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Lapband fills: FAQ

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The Gastric Band operation ยป Lapband fills: FAQ

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    Claire

Hi Roxy

You’re more than welcome hun ๐Ÿ™‚

It definitely sounds to me like you don’t have enough in your band, BUT you will soon get a shock if you get a fill and don’t get slowed down with your eating. You WILL get food stuck far more often and you WILL PB as a result. You won’t be able to eat as much as you eat now and there are likely to be more foods on your not possible list.

It’s not easy, you have to work hard at it, but it does become more a normal way of life, I wouldn’t say second nature, because that’s when you forget to chew enough and your band reminds you who’s in charge ๐Ÿ˜‰ but losing weight is never easy and anyone who ever says WLS is the easy way out, should try living with a band with reasonable restriction for a week and then make that statement! ๐Ÿ˜‰ But it works and I’ve lost over 5 and a half stones in 6 months.

Your sweet spot is the level of restriction that allows you to maintain a loss of 1-2lbs a week – I’ve also heard it referred to as the green zone or the weight loss zone.

If I were you, I would be tempted to have a smallish fill with a view to having another in a couple of months when you get used to being a bit more restricted – it’s pretty miserable being over restricted. There are plenty of bandsters who are happy to live on a liquid/sloppy diet and not even be able to drink in the morning because their restriction is so tight, but personally I think that’s too extreme and not necessarily healthy long term.

The other thing to remember is that as you lose weight, you will lose fat from around your stoma where the band is placed, so you will naturally lose restriction as the lbs drop off, so you will need to have fills on a fairly regular basis until you have achieved your weightloss.

Let us know what you happens and just holler if you need anything ๐Ÿ™‚

xxx

Roxy

Wow, thank you Soooooooooo much for all the info, I wish I had happened across you months ago. What a fantastic weight loss you have achieved! I am going to concentrate on chewing and slowing down. My next (and third) fill is booked for the 29th May.

Something that I think some people don’t consider is the emotional side of a band. It’s very hard when you haven’t got your old friend “food” to talk to when you need that emotional fix. The band has taught me that I live on my emotions and that they rule my life. That is why food became so important. Only started to put on SERIOUS weight in my late 20’s early 30’s. They thought I was anorexic when I was 16 and the PE teachers had words with me at secondary school. Not sure what happen to change things though. (8 stone of a change).

Thanks for chatting, really enjoying it

xxx

cazza

It wasn’t until my 3rd fill to 5.5 mls that I had any effect I was also dishearted to start with but stay with it.
    Cazza

Paula

Hi All
    Im very excited to be having my first band fill tomorrow and forgot to ask if I should have an empty stomach. If so how long before should I last eat?
    I was so pleased to receive the call inviting me to have the fill I never thought of any questions…!
    I am 3.5 weeks post band and food is going down now as easy as before and was starting to get into bad habits again so could not be happier to hopefully restrict again.
    The internal swelling obviously went down very quickly in comparision to the external, as I can still see the swelling for the tube and only hope Mr Pring knows where he put the port as I can only feel tube and not the port!!!
    You are all wonderful and very inspiring – could not have done this journey (so far) without your support and guidance.
    Paula

Brains

Hi Paula
    Great to hear about your band. Sorry I cannot help you as had bypass but someone will I am sure very soon. If not ring team in morning x Best wishes. My friend had band and has lost 7 stone over a year x

Gill.T

Hi Paula
    Yes you need to be nil by mouth for +/- 4 hours before the fill – certainly no food, although a drink up to a couple of hours before should be OK.
    Hope it goes well with you – it really is fine
    Are you having the first one with barium and xray? If so, again, very straight forward, and the barium really doesn’t taste too bad at all
    Best wishes
    Gill
    Gastric Band 22/3/10 – oh just realized that’s 8 months today and 4 stone down – 1 stone to go!!!

cazza

Hi
    I have now had 3 fills and have never been told nil by mouth I have always eaten something before hand as it’s back to slop for 24 hrs after
    Cazza

Rachmz

Hi All,
    I now have my date for my first band fill, i am now 2 and a half weeks post op and i can feel my portion sizes increasing! Is this normal?? I am concerned that they are increasing! Its all so new!! I just need a little person to sit on my shoulder and say yes thats fine or no dont do that!!! xx:yell:

xxladykxx

Hiya
    sorry can’t help with ur above question but thought I’d take the oppertunity to ask how is all going? have your wonds healed yet? have u lost much weight?
    I got a new date 15th March so will be with you soon! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gill.T

Hi
    Yes its completely normal, firstly you would initially have had swelling & inflammation which would have added to your feeling of restriction, and secondly as you lose weight – so does your stomach, and the band feels looser!
    I’m now 11 months out, have a 14ml band and have 10.75ml in at present (bit of a push to lose my last 1/2 stone!!) Band fill is really easy, I was advised not to eat for 6 hours before hand, although advice does vary. You do however, have to go back to liquids for the next 24 hours followed by 24 hours of “mush”.
    Good luck – feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything else
    With best wishes Gill xx

Rachmz

Ohh Thanks Gill, you have helped put my mind at ease!! I think i look for things to worry about!! I dont know how much my band holds just know on the card it says that the size is large!! I have had a really pants night sleep so feeling a bit rubbish today, just trying to get through to the hospital as my stomach has been rock hard for the past couple of days and i dont know why and its really uncomfortable!! x

Rachmz

Evening All,
    Well i had my first band fill today and what an experience that was!! It took 4 attempts to find my port and by the 3rd i was getting rather uncomfortable!! And i didn’t realise just how hard it is to hold both your legs up together for a while!!!
    I now have 5ml in my 14ml band and have to go back and see them in 4 weeks time! I hope they find my port the first time on my next fill!!! xxx

hazelann70

I might be ignorant here but why did you have to hold your legs up together? Where is your port?? I don’t ever remember having to do that!! My port was on my sternam but I know they can put it in different places (be good if they do cos I found when I’d lost all my weight it was really painful there as it stuck out with all the weightloss!). Just has my mind boggling where they have put yours! lmao. Don’t forget, I had my band 10 years ago so things have changed no doubt. Bit like they didn’t have different sizes of band back then either. Totally normal for your portion sizes to get bigger the closer you are to needing a fill. Sometimes you don’t even feel the restriction straight after the fill and feel a bit miserable that it’s not worked but it does kick in. It was my purse that felt the worst as it used to cost me about ยฃ75 for each fill if I remember rightly and that was back then!!

Claire

Hi ๐Ÿ™‚

Hazelann – I guess Rachmz is the same as me – my port is stitched into the abdominal wall slightly below my ribs on the left hand side. The reason you have to hold your legs up is to tense the muscles and it makes it easier to find the port.

Rachmz… I find it easier to hold my legs up by sticking my hands under my bum, don’t ask me why it helps, it just does! Also, with my fills, sometimes the port is easy to find, sometimes it’s not, just depends on the day…

Good luck with your weightloss, don’t be worried if you still don’t feel a great deal of restriction, it can take a few fills for most people before they do.

Take care
    Claire

hazelann70

Ahhh, that explains a lot!! They must have realised that the port causes problems when in the middle of the sternam as I know some people have had to have it moved when they have lost all their weight. Mine had to come out due to migration of the band so my problem was solved (but not in the way I would have liked lol)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media