Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Lapband fills: FAQ

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The Gastric Band operation ยป Lapband fills: FAQ

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    Doodah
    Keymaster

Head Hunger is our worst enemy so, attack is the best form of defence: be prepared with healthy snacks and beat the B****r into submission!!

Doodah x

Hi everyone, I am having my first band fill today, have emotions of excitement as I want to move on and am certainly ready for it but my stomach is all bubbly and have some nerves…..

Wish me luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Nettie

How did it go Sam? I remember being excited and nervous for my first fill, it soon becomes the norm.

Nettie xx

hi Nettie, I was so shocked, I was in and out in 5 minutes…….. Such a strange feeling when I drank the water and the saline going in……. I have not been able to eat really, had soup and tried mash with gavy but only managed 2 teaspoons and now feel really uncomfortable :(. is that the norm? i hope you can offer some advice Nettie ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for your post

Nettie

Hi Sam,
    Gosh that was quick, my fill appointments always take about 45mins, go easy eating after a band fill, you should just have soup and fluids for 24hrs and then slush for a couple of days and the mush for a couple and then return to solids slowly. How much did you have put in?

Nettie xx

Thanks Nettie, it was quick I know, I am silly as I never ask any questions as dont want to keep the consultants for long. I have no been able to keep much down today, the man thing I kept down was a bit of porridge……. I had 2mls put in, he did try for 2.5 but there was too much restriction…..I have been worrying if its too tight but have seen some posts which say it can take up to 2weeks to settle down….. Is that what it was like for you? You can read so many bad posts I think I worry more……..Thanks for coming back to me x

hides

Hi sam
    When i go for my fills, unless i have a problem i’m in and out in 15 mins. As nettie has said take things easy for a couple of days. We all find restriction different, i cant cope with large fills, so i only every have 1/4 or 1/2 ml fills each time. I do have problems with sickness, and i know it is because i over fill myself…… I’m getting better, but still learning. And it is strange because i can eat the same things 2 days running, and 1 daycould be great, but next i could be visiting the bathroom.

What was your weight loss like ?

Heidi ๐Ÿ™‚

Nettie

If you have managed porridge Sam then it doesn’t sound as if you are too tight, and as Hides says just take it easy, like Hides I still over fill myself and thats usually when I’m sick, if I just stopped when I should I’d be fine. It usually takes me between 1-2 wks to settle after a fill, the more fills I’ve had the longer it takes me to settle down because the restriction is worse or better which ever way you want to look at it! I had a fill appointment last Thursday but didn’t have any put in as my restriction is still quite tight from my last fill and I’m hardly able to tackle solids so didn’t want it any tighter at the moment.

Nettie xx

Nettie

Hi Heidi, thanks for your post, I have to say I was somewhat shocked that he did the first fill at 2ml, he said he was trying for 2.5ml :/
    I have to say I have been panicking a bit the last 2 days as I cannot hardly eat anything and have been sick as dont like the feeling if it wont go down. I worry that I have been over filled as I am so new to this not sure whats right or not and know the problems it can cause inside if its not right ๐Ÿ™

Friday I expected not to really have anything as I know it needs to settle down so just had a small amount of soup and tried some mash with gravy but had to bring that one up (only managed a couple of teaspoons). Not much liquid either.

Saturday – I managed 4 dessert spoons of porridge late morning, then amazingly a bananna about 4pm, tried something mushy but had to bring that up too at about 8pm

Sunday – today I only managed 4 teaspoons of porridge, managed half a small can of soup aout 5pm and that was OK, an now actually having a small cup of angel delight eating very slow and that seems to be working

I have lost 6lbs in 3 days, but dont really feel hungry anyway and not sure if this is OK. I lost 1 stone pre op, and 1 stone post op so far.

Thanks for listening to my concerns lol, bet you never bargained for this long post. Us newbie Bansters need the likes of you and Nettie to help us along.

Hi Nettie, what great timing, I am so pleased you posted as that is exactly how I feel and pleased to know that its normal and nothing wrong.

I think I will be a lot stronger when I go back in 4 weeks and if I dont feel ready I wont have any in if the restriction is still there loads.

Both your posts tonight have made me feel so much better THANK YOU :):)

Doodah
    Keymaster

@SamVaughan3604 23405 wrote:

Hi Heidi, thanks for your post, I have to say I was somewhat shocked that he did the first fill at 2ml, he said he was trying for 2.5ml :/
    I have to say I have been panicking a bit the last 2 days as I cannot hardly eat anything and have been sick as dont like the feeling if it wont go down. I worry that I have been over filled as I am so new to this not sure whats right or not and know the problems it can cause inside if its not right ๐Ÿ™

Friday I expected not to really have anything as I know it needs to settle down so just had a small amount of soup and tried some mash with gravy but had to bring that one up (only managed a couple of teaspoons). Not much liquid either.

Saturday – I managed 4 dessert spoons of porridge late morning, then amazingly a bananna about 4pm, tried something mushy but had to bring that up too at about 8pm

Sunday – today I only managed 4 teaspoons of porridge, managed half a small can of soup aout 5pm and that was OK, an now actually having a small cup of angel delight eating very slow and that seems to be working

I have lost 6lbs in 3 days, but dont really feel hungry anyway and not sure if this is OK. I lost 1 stone pre op, and 1 stone post op so far.

Thanks for listening to my concerns lol, bet you never bargained for this long post. Us newbie Bansters need the likes of you and Nettie to help us along.

That’s what is so brillaint about this forum – there are so many people going through the exact same thing whose brains we can pick for advice. Better by far though is the support. It is real and freely given – can’t put a price on that ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

Nettie

Hi Sam,
    How are things now, get used to life on the tight side lol! when I first had my band I thought everything was so easy but as you start to get filled it gets tougher, I have 8mls in now and life is about what I can eat rather than what I want to eat, sometimes I can’t eat solids at all but most days I get some down, today it’s only been a single egg omlett everything else has been either soup or slimfast shake, I do try and have at least 1 slimfast shake a day for protein as I struggle to get 50g of protein without them. Keep posting we are all here to support eachother.

Nettie xx

lornaburg
    Nettie wrote:
    Hi Sam,
    How are things now, get used to life on the tight side lol! when I first had my band I thought everything was so easy but as you start to get filled it gets tougher, I have 8mls in now and life is about what I can eat rather than what I want to eat, sometimes I can’t eat solids at all but most days I get some down, today it’s only been a single egg omlett everything else has been either soup or slimfast shake, I do try and have at least 1 slimfast shake a day for protein as I struggle to get 50g of protein without them. Keep posting we are all here to support eachother.

Nettie xx

Nettie, forgive me for being naive but is it possible to get malnutrition if you are eating so little? I’m getting nervous about my first fill, I’ve heard so many stories now about people not being able to eat anything.

Lorna

Hi Nettie, well things seem to be settling down, still not managing much. I am getting by on some dessert spoons of porridge for breakfast, half a cup of soup at lunch and for dinner :/

I did manage some jelly tonight and a bit of sloppy fishermans mash ( which I must admit thought was going to be tough but was ok) Bananas, my favourite and quite mushy just have to come back up!!!!

I wish I could try slim fas but I dont drink milk really, am pushing it with the porridge. get by with tea and coffee and water during the day.

What amount of fills did you have at the beginning? Is it normal to have 2mls in straight off?

I must admit it is all trial and error lol, but am keeping positive as the weight is coming off. I am now 2lb of reaching 3 stone weight loss (including pre op diet) so thats keeping me positive.

Thanks for your post it really does help to hear from you.

Xxxxxx

Hi Lorna, it is a worry isnt is, I am taking multi vitamins as I have hardly eaten a thing. Also I would have thought the dieticians would be in contact but have not hard from one since my pre op!!!!

I thought theywould be in contact to meet youfor advice to see how we are getting on…. Not sure I am pleased about the lack of contact.

i might ask to meet them soon…….

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media