Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Lapband fills: FAQ

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The Gastric Band operation ยป Lapband fills: FAQ

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    pgoldsmith

Hi Hedi,
    I had my op early October and have lost 2st 12Ibs so far, christmas was bad and I put on about 4Ibs so would have done better. I was being very careful what I eat prior to Christmas. I am worried my fill yesterday will put me back as I was v hungry yesterday, more than I have been throughout the entire process. I assume that I will need a greater fill, I find it hard to notice the feeling if restriction , my aim is to loose another couple if stone by May, which will take me to about 70% excess body weight loss ( currently on 35%)

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

I’m not a bandster but all the lovely band people I know all have the same mantra ‘Chop, chop, chop; chew, chew, chew’. Weight loss with a band isn’t as dramatic as with a bypass but we all get there in the end. It just takes a bit of time to hit the ‘sweet spot’ as regards how many mls suits YOU.

Keep up the good work and be kind to yourself ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

RHD

Hi All,

I have a 10ml band but only have 2ml currently in the band. I find I cannot really eat during the day but at night food is a little easier to contend with. Not sure why I have this restriction…. anyhow.. have decided to stick with the fill as I can have a porriage in the morning, soup at lunch and then eat a dinner and also a snack at night.

The weight is coming off but at about 1/2 – 1lb, every two weeks…. which is fine as I only have 4 stone to lose but wished my weightloss could be better. I am starting spinning classes soon so am hoping this exercise will start my weightloss!

Sometime I get really frastrated with the band and then other times I am glad it is there as if it wasnt then I am sure I would be much heavier than I am today!

Wanted to know if anyone has felt the feeling of frastration with their band?

hides

Hello RDH

I have 5 1/4 mls in my 10 ml band, i find i cant cope with 1ml fills, so i have 1/4ml each month. I’m 6 months post op and i have my 6month check up tomorrow.
    I steadly lose about 1 lb a week, and like you i’m happy with the way it is going. The hosp would like me to lose 7 stone in total, i’m up to 3 stone 10lbs according to my scales. But i’m realistic and i think another 1 1/2 or 2 stone within the next 6 months and i would be very happy indeed.

I do get frustrated with my band, today was a very manic day and to tell you the truth i ate rubbish ( this is not a normal day ), so snack was an oats bar mid day ( after my 45 min walk), bag of crips at lunch with fruit….. ๐Ÿ™ , dinner was mashed pot and left over stew from last night……. The rubbish went down ok, could only manage half the dinner, (wasn’t going to stay down. ) Yet i had the same dinner last night without a problem…..

I do have days of throwing up, but it’s me not stopping when i should……… I sometimes just push that extra mouthful, and then pay for it. I still eat too fast aswell, it’s very hard to eat slow….. Still learning i guess, but no regrets.

When was your op ?

Heidi

johncg

Hi hides

I was the same I sometimes got frustrated with the band but because I have no restriction at all now I miss it like made. I could eat what I like but have to force myself to shut the fridge door so please be happy with it because if like me you lose it you will miss it like bad

Love John xxxx

Hope to be back on the thinner side of like soon

pgoldsmith

Hi all,

Not sure you can compare band size and fills as we are all Individuals, but it’s can be strange with a band, I have 6.5 mL in a 14mL band. Get restriction some days and less other days. I usually eat weatabix in the an soup and salad for lunch, then a small tea mince or some curry and rice and I am done. However some days I eat took quick or bad foods ie breads and fried stuff and it gets stuck and need to stop or make myself sick. Other days like today I managed to eat out and had lasagne it was sloppy but I ate it all. I worry about the random nature of restriction do u think this is due to stretching of the pouch or just hydration status and what u are eating??? An doing ok 4.5 stone down in 6 months, want to shift another 3 stone so would be 12 stone and on target so hopefully within a year ?? It’s interesting how different everyones experience is. John hope u get ur band sorted soon and we can then compare notes theres are only a fe of us blokes on here with bands!

Paul

Nettie

Hi Guys,
    I get very frustrated with my band but I love it as well, I’m at sweetspot most definitely as I have excellent restriction everyday,I can’t eat in the morning but have a fruit smoothie at about 11am, I try to have a small bowl of good quality soup at lunchtime and then a small meal in the evening but with good quality food, I do not eat slimmers meals anymore as struggle to eat enough calories with those, I am at about 800calories a day but sometimes have to have a slimfast shake to get to that level and also because I worry about my nutritional intake. I have 8mls now in a 10ml band and have lost about five and a half stone since the end of July.
    Nettie xx

RHD

*Phew* I am not the only one!! Thank you for all your comments, it really is appreciated. I have such a busy life (have two children) with work and kids… etc… its hard to get on here. My sister thinks its fab that I am losing weight very slowly but she doesnt like the vomiting side of the band. I am not vomiting as much as I am working with the band. My body still thinks it needs to consume the food it use to, which was a constant food munching! so now its strange when I cant by pass the time snacking. As I said, my band has 2 ml in it and I think I am at the sweet point already… but only losing 1lb or 1/2 lb a week. I have stepped up with exercise.

John – I agree, its great having the band restriction but it is frastrating sometimes but I guess that is what we have all signed up for… its my little monitor to tell me when I have consumed too much! I guess I must stop trying to have another mouthful when I am full up. I think its because I was so use to binging on food for comfort so now that has gone I dont have a replacement and guess that is why I get frastrated…. but its what I signed up for.

I had my op just before Xmas and am only one stone down…. so I guess I am still not eating well but am still happy that I am still losing even if it is slow as long as I dont put on!

RHD
    x

RHD

Also, can someone tell me how we change the ‘Weight’ stats to ‘Stones and Pounds’ as I do not understand or like the Kg or lbs settings….

RHD

Hi Heidi, Still get use to the website so nearly missed your question… my op was just before Xmas and I then had my first fill in Jan… lost about 1/2 stone on the milk diet… and put only a little back but since then have always lost 1/2 or 1lb every week or every other week. I only have four stone to lose now so my train of thought is as long as I am still losing I will be happy. Just started exercise as I am hoping it may help with weightloss but also to tone up my body. You have lost loads and I would be very happy with your weightloss 3 stone and 10lb is massive…. do you stick to three meals a day and eat for 20 min?

RHD

I have been reading on the website regarding the restriction and it seems that most people find they are restricted more in the morning but no reason has been given. I think you may be right about hydration… I just find if I drink well doing the day then my band feels more open to food :0). I now do not feel crazy hungry like I use to and find I just eat because I want to – so need this habit to change… all in good time I guess.

It really is great to hear that we are all going/or have gone through similiar experiences… this has been hugely helpful to me… thanks everyone x

hides

Hi RHD

Yeah i am pleased with the loss so far, (about 1lb per week) ,but if i was honest some of my bad habits have been creeping back in since easter . And i hate myself for giving in….. And i know it’s habit, cos i dont need it. I’m now really worried about undoing the good work so far ๐Ÿ™ .

I do have 3 meals a day. Usually special k for breakfast, soup and half a pitta bread for lunch and tea can be anything . I usually keep to 1000 cals, but my snacking can take that up another 200 ๐Ÿ™ . Still learning i guess , like someone said earlier…… myhead is saying “lunchtime , time to eat ” but my body isn’t always saying the same but habit makes me eat……

Please dont read this and think i regret having the op, cos i dont, i just need some fine tuning ๐Ÿ™‚ lol.

Heidi x

RHD

Hi Heidi,

I agree with your comments. The way I see it, I was a 15.5 stone person before having the band… and then all of a sudden I have the band and my portion size for food is considerable smaller than what it use to be…. my eyes can see and can understand what is going on… but my mind is still not at that place – am I making sense… but in time I am sure things will be in tune and that having the band will make me understand that I dont need to keep eating to stay alive!!

I made one rule and that is I dont ever want to put on any weight so if you need a treat try and keep it healthy as possible the occasional indulgence is okay but dont make it a habit. I have ryvita and cottage cheese at home for the late night snack craving… its healthy so i dont feel guilty afterwards. I also leave work and have a small sushi (from Marks or Sainsbury) I love it and its better than eating crisps or chocolate. I think we just need to get our mindset in the right place.

Take care for now but please let me know how you are getting on and likewise I will keep you informed.

RHD
    x

hides

Hi RHD

Mindset, that is defo the answer. You make some very good points yourself, i too dont want the weight to creep back so i do need to think more positive and defo try to get more into the zone……..

Please do keep in touch. Feel free to private message me, and i can pass on my email address.

Best wishes
    Heidi ๐Ÿ™‚ .

RHD

Hi Heidi,

I am not sure how private messaging works on here…. if you can email me, I will respond. It would be great to have a buddy to speak to regarding all this banding stuff!

All the best
    RHD

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media