Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Just starting.

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป Pre- Weight Loss Surgery ยป Just starting.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Emski

I’ve been wanting WLS For a while now and had convinced myself that due to my eating habits and lifestyle that the band was the option. Had my all day assessment on Friday and I’m now confused as it seems I’m more suitable for the bypass. I am accepted now…but I’m confused what procedure to go for. But I’m reading lots of encouraging posts here.

Going back to make decision in about a month

E

natalie

All i can recommend is that u go away and do some research and also have a chat with some of the amazing girls on here…. This is what i have done and it helped me make my mind up ๐Ÿ™‚ xxx

Emski

Thank you Natalie, I’ve just got to work out what all my concerns are and put them into perspective with what the alternative would be…life without this tool.

I’m thinking I’m likely to go for the bypass. Till I make that step I’m going to read all I can here and make sure I’m going into this eyes wide open. Hopefully making some new friends along the way.

~E~

Nettie

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the very best place to help you decide, there are all sorts of fantastic people on here that will help you with any concerns you have and any questions. Did your team suggest the best method for your WLS?

Nettie xx

Emski

Thank you for the warm welcome Nettie. It was suggested by the team at St Richards that the bypass would give me the best results based on my weight (23.5 stone). I went to the assessment open minded, even though I thought I was set on the band. I am really a happy to be approved for the WLS….but the big decision to go for it now lays in my hands.

Looking forward to reading more about the bypass and learning about others experiences.

~E~

Sammy39

Hi there

Like Nettie, I’m a ‘bandster’ but was done on the 6th May. I don’t know how I would have gotten through it if it wasn’t for my friends here.

You’ve picked a great place for friendship and support!

Sammy

Nettie

@Emski 24241 wrote:

Thank you for the warm welcome Nettie. It was suggested by the team at St Richards that the bypass would give me the best results based on my weight (23.5 stone). I went to the assessment open minded, even though I thought I was set on the band. I am really a happy to be approved for the WLS….but the big decision to go for it now lays in my hands.

Looking forward to reading more about the bypass and learning about others experiences.

~E~

I think it’s fantastic that they give you the choice and also time to make a decision, I opted to have a band but then I self funded and I think that does make a difference in regards to the amount of cash people have available as the bypass is more excpensive, some people find that after a band they have problems and require revision surgery and end up having a bypass anyway in the long run.

I think you are very wise to join the forum to gain as much experience as possible, feel free to talk to everyone and ask ask ask and ask somemore until there isn’t one single thing you don’t know about both operations and then you will know that the decision you make is an informed decision.

Happy fact finding

Nettie xx

Mara

Hi Emski

You’ll certainly find lots of advice, sincerity and warmth here as you research what will be best for you.

I’ve made my decision based on a very simple, and personal, truth – I haven’t in the last 3 decades found a way to sustain a weight loss. Lord knows I’ve tried! If I’m going to have surgery then I only want to go through it once and I want it to provide a permanent solution/tool for me to use for the rest of my life. When something is ‘permanent’ it may be a little more scary, the Band is reversible and that does provide some insurance, but I’m an all or nothing girl – I want a permanent solution, no going back, yesterday was the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life, today I’ve started the Milk Diet and I’m finally on my personal journey to find the real me and when I find her I’m never going to loose her again.

Good luck Emski, I look forward to hearing others thoughts and your final decision!

Mara x

janie123

Hi emsk.
    I had my bypass done last Thursday. I chose this op after doing my research and finding that there can be problems with the band I.e band slipping, band erosion . Being that I could not get funding I can only afford to pay for one op so if I needed revision I would have been in trouble. Even though it is early days I am sure I have made the right decision. Good luck for your weight loss future, and keep us posted.

Janie

Emski

I have been reading a lot of the threads here today and I am feeling really encouraged by you all, even the truthful aspects of some of the side effects are really good to know about. I think my mind is made up on the bypass, but I just want to be 110% certain….my boyfriend is really supportive, but being average weight he can’t truly understand the feelings of being the largest girl on the bus most mornings etc. This year I turn 40 and they say life begins at….

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the milk diet and how you recover following the surgery.

Thank you all for your words of support and encouragement.

Looking forward to supporting you all also.

~E~

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Emski 24241 wrote:

~E~

Hi Emski and welcome to the friendliest wls forum there is (bit biased I know!!)

I too went to see Shaw Somers at Chichester with a view to having a band. However, after a detailed discussion with him it became very apparent that I was far better suited to a bypass. I was a sweetie guzzler but never ate huge dinners, fast food, take aways etc. However, I could eat a whole box of French Fancies for my dinner and not even feel remotely sick!!

It’s super that you are given a choice and that you will arrive at your decision after careful condsideration.

The gang on here are just amazing. They amaze and inspire me on a daily basis and I’m four years post op!! I had my bypass on 17 July 2008 and am 15st lighter with a new job, future and tons of fab new friends both online and in ‘real life’. I’m SO excited for you ;-))

Doodah x

Whitey

Hi Emski

I too first thought I would have a band but after lots of research and working out what I ate and how often I decided a bypass would suit me better. I’m a similar weight to you and I have been overweight all my life and battled to find a permenant solution. Losing large amounts of weight a couple of times and putting it back on (and more!) and kidding myself I was happy being fat. I had my bypass 2 weeks ago today and I’m sure it’s the best decision I have ever made. I know there is lots of hard work ahead but this time I feel I can loose the weight and keep it off. Only you can decide what would be best for you – trust your instincts. Best of luck with whatever you decide. x

hides

Hello Em

If i could turn back time……… This is such a hard decision for any of us. I had my self funded band done 7 months ago. I’m 4 stone 2 lighter and happier, but i do find it very hard as my bad habbits are slowly creeping back in. I have a very sweet tooth, and when you cant keep food down it’s easy to turn to the biscuits ๐Ÿ™ .
    The bypass was such a drastic choice for me, but i know from the weight point of view it is defo the way to go…… There is a very small part of me that wishes i’d spoke to a few more people and having read lots more on here since my op, i think i’d should of gone the other way.

But having said that, i would be tipping the 20stone mark if i had never done anything, so i stay positive and know that either choice has it’s good points and bad points and you have to work with either op.

I wish you well and look forward to following your journey ๐Ÿ™‚

Heidi x .

Mara

Hides

Thank you for your honesty………I for one really appreciate your post.

Mara x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Like Mara said – Thanks for your continued honesty Hides. It really helps the newbies to hear the good, the bad and the ugly ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media