Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Just had surgery 07. 11.11

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Dee68

Hi everyone,

Just had my band fitted, and am suffering severe pain in my shoulder, and what are the best things to drink.
    Any answers most welcome.

Dee

skinnysoup

Dee,

I had mine fitted the day before you and though it might not help I had the same problems, I think it is the gas they used.

To be honest mine was better today than yesterday and the pain is getting more bearable.

Hang on in there, there is a few of us that have had the band in the last few days, sometimes just knowing that there are others going through the same might help.

Kerrie

Xx

twinladyuk

Hi Dee,
    I had my band fitted nearly 5 weeks ago and also suffered with the gas pain. I found that a warm cup of tea, a warm shower and moving around helped lots. Peppermint tea also helped.
    I promise that it will get better every day and you just need to hang in there and take any painkillers you were instructed to take.
    Feel better.
    Karen x

Dee68

Hi ladies,

Thank you for that, I haven’t really looked into all of the side effects as it would have put me of having the procedure.
    Did you feel pain in your stomach when you drank or ate. I’m having one of those feel sorry for yourself times and feel like I’m staving my self I can’t make up my mind if I’m hungry or full of wind lol.

Look forward to your replies

Dee

skinnysoup

Dee,

That was me yesterday, I cried most of the day and wondered if I had made a massive mistake.

I had pain when I was just breathing but I too couldn’t work out if I felt sick from hunger, the pain killers or just from the operation.

Last night I sleep most of the night and that has made me feel so much better today, and even though I am still uncomfortable I am not reaching for the pain killers and I am going to make myself get up today and get dressed which will help me I think.

I have found this forum to be my bible, it is really helping me get through these early days.

Kerrie

Xx

twinladyuk

Hi Dee,
    I felt exactly the same. I was quite crampy and uncomfortable when my stomach gurgled. I also couldn’t work out if I was in pain or hungry.
    It does pass and get easier. You have to remember that they have fiddled with everything inside and you are sore and swollen.
    I look back on 4.5 weeks and am amazed at how far I’ve come and how I now feel well. Every day is better than the one before.
    Rest up but keep moving as that will help with the gas pain in your shoulder.
    Karen x

Dee68

Thank you both,

I cried yesterday and thought the same what have I done, followed by pull yourself together. I feel inspired ladies and will take each day as it come knowing it will improve.

Can I ask what are you drinking do you use slim fast, as I feel I’m not getting enough protein.

Another question ladies I live in Hampshire / west Sussex area what about you?

Once again thank you I feel better already

Love Dee

skinnysoup

Karen,

You mentioned the cramps I have those, I am guessing its normal but is it hunger? Do they hurry and go as when they happen they can be acutely painful and stop me doing things.

Sorry to ask?

Kerrie

Xx

Dee68

Hi Kerri

I’ve read others comments and it’s says to drink more water, I just brought some deflatine and it has really helped.
    Been out and about for a few hours and feel so much better than I did yesterday a seems a lot more bearable since talking on here.

Love Dee

skinnysoup

Thanks you for that idea, tomorrow I will be purchasing them!

Glad you feel better aswell, maybe it takes a few days for the body to get over general.

Here is to tomorrow and feeling even better.

Xx

twinladyuk

Hi Kerrie

I found that sometimes hunger was indistinguishable from the cramps. I found that a cup of tea was often all I needed to settle the pains.
    I’ve had a big day today. Went out for lunch with the family (Mexican) and then had friend round for a takeaway (kebab). I had a starter for lunch and ate half a small grilled chicken kebab or dinner. I could not have imagined doing this 4-5 weeks ago and am thrilled that I can get on with my life!
    In terms of protein, I add Marvel skimmed milk powder to my milk but nothing else. Also remember to keep hydrated.
    Karen x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@twinladyuk 26390 wrote:

Hi Kerrie

I found that sometimes hunger was indistinguishable from the cramps. I found that a cup of tea was often all I needed to settle the pains.
    I’ve had a big day today. Went out for lunch with the family (Mexican) and then had friend round for a takeaway (kebab). I had a starter for lunch and ate half a small grilled chicken kebab or dinner. I could not have imagined doing this 4-5 weeks ago and am thrilled that I can get on with my life!
    In terms of protein, I add Marvel skimmed milk powder to my milk but nothing else. Also remember to keep hydrated.
    Karen x

Great post Karen. I’m a firm believer that tea can solve everything haha!

Isn’t it amazing how quickly you can adapt to a new way of eating? The quicker you can manage it, the less time it takes for the new way to feel like the ‘normal’ way. I used to add Marvel too – mmm so creamy lol! At four years post op, I very rarely want to revert back to old habits.

In fact, it has happened on two occasions – both times when I thought I was going to lose my Dad. Sitting in the hospital from midnight till 5am whilst they tried to save my Dad’s life in theatre was a perfect opportunity for nasty old head hunger to try to sneak back in. Thank goodness for vile hospital coffee: it virtually paralysed my taste buds so that after a few hours everything would have tasted disgusting!

He has no chance now – head hunger that is 😉

Doodah x

Dee68

Hi ladies,

How are you all doing , I feel so much better still working out what to eat and what I’ need food, a drink, but i can say it is getting better been out and about and that has really help.
    Nurse rang today and that felt good as still get some pain in my shoulder and could have a tear at times.

Love to you all

Dee

Dee68

Hi Kerri,

Just thought I’d ask do you live in Chichester and did you have your surgery at st Richards.
    I hope your doing well.

Love Dee

skinnysoup

Yes I live in Chichester and had it at st Richards, I had no idea that it was the holy grail.

The weekend was a major turning point and I feel sooo much better, apart from the stitches and not being comfortable at night.

I am sick of soup and have moved onto the mushy type, and it is nice to be eating something other than milk or soup.

Looking forward to driving again and feeling tip top.

Are you weighing yourself?

Kerrie
    Xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media