Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Just an update

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gill123

Have not been on the forum for awhile, so thought Id give a quick update as you had been so kind in helping me with previous posts.

Had my surgery on 2/12/2014 –

So, went in at 7.30am to Chichester (St Richards) under the care of the brilliant Mr Pring. Chanel 5 news were present and wanted to film my journey as they were covering a topic on bariatric bypass for people with diabetes and although I wasn’t keen, I felt it was important to take part as they asked so nicely but it was also my way of giving back to the NHS that gave me a chance for this operation.

After my interview on the ward I was taken to operating theatre, feeling very nervous and had to do a much longer interview, which took ages as they had to set up lighting etc. Eventually walked into theatre to aneathist and the whole time i kept thinking “I hope Ive made the right decision here”. Then followed Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Back on ward and not fully “compass mentis” I needed to be back in a chair for another quick interview, so took that opportunity to use the bathroom, but the movement made me very nauseous so started dry retching, not pleasant but soon passed. The rest of that day I mainly slept on and off. By the night time I woke more and had pain in back, presumably from the gas they put in to move your organs out the way. Most seem to get this pain in shoulders, but I had it mid back. With the help of the good hospital nurses I walked around a little, but it took about 24 hours to go.

The following day was in discomfort, but more in back than anything else, although had to sleep on my back which didn’t help. Next day (Thursday) was discharged in afternoon having waited to give last interview for channel 5. I was in quite a lot of pain Thursday & Friday and wondered how long it would last. Only taking paracetamol as did not want to use anything else that might cause constipation!

Saturday dawned and pain was far less and I felt FANTASTIC! I seemed to have a whole new look on life and everything looked so positive. Since then things have only got better and Im doing really well. Managing pureed food ok although looking forward to chewing food again, but that wont be until end of January. But I dont regret this at all and have thrown my diabetic medication and insulin in bin

Gill

treeza

Aww congratulations honey. All down baring the recovery. Now take care if yourself, allow yourself to heal, follow all the instruction don’t jump any steps. If you struggle moving to the next step just take a step back & try again another day. I’m also glad your doing so well.

Keep us updated x welcome to the losers bench xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Gill123 32904 wrote:

Have not been on the forum for awhile, so thought Id give a quick update as you had been so kind in helping me with previous posts.

So, went in at 7.30am to Chichester (St Richards) under the care of the brilliant Mr Pring. Chanel 5 news were present and wanted to film my journey as they were covering a topic on bariatric bypass for people with diabetes and although I wasn’t keen, I felt it was important to take part as they asked so nicely but it was also my way of giving back to the NHS that gave me a chance for this operation.

After my interview on the ward I was taken to operating theatre, feeling very nervous and had to do a much longer interview, which took ages as they had to set up lighting etc. Eventually walked into theatre to aneathist and the whole time i kept thinking “I hope Ive made the right decision here”. Then followed Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Back on ward and not fully “compass mentis” I needed to be back in a chair for another quick interview, so took that opportunity to use the bathroom, but the movement made me very nauseous so started dry retching, not pleasant but soon passed. The rest of that day I mainly slept on and off. By the night time I woke more and had pain in back, presumably from the gas they put in to move your organs out the way. Most seem to get this pain in shoulders, but I had it mid back. With the help of the good hospital nurses I walked around a little, but it took about 24 hours to go.

The following day was in discomfort, but more in back than anything else, although had to sleep on my back which didn’t help. Next day (Thursday) was discharged in afternoon having waited to give last interview for channel 5. I was in quite a lot of pain Thursday & Friday and wondered how long it would last. Only taking paracetamol as did not want to use anything else that might cause constipation!

Saturday dawned and pain was far less and I felt FANTASTIC! I seemed to have a whole new look on life and everything looked so positive. Since then things have only got better and Im doing really well. Managing pureed food ok although looking forward to chewing food again, but that wont be until end of January. But I dont regret this at all and have thrown my diabetic medication and insulin in bin

Gill

Thank you SO much for this update Gill.

What a totally fantastic and fascinating experience!? When do we get to see you on the telly?

Best bit? Your diabetes meds in the BIN! Isn’t that just truly remarkable? You are already on the path to improved health and a happier heart and I could not be happier for you. This has actually made my week (along with another friend who posted a pic of herself in her new slimline theatre reds!)

Again, thank you for sharing this. Onwards and downwards my lovely.

Doodah x

Lelly

@Gill123 32904 wrote:

Gill

How brilliant Gill, I am so pleased for you and it was good that you gave a “warts and all” account of your operation and recovery. Wishing you all the best on you journey to “normality”, take care
    Lelly

Kimberly
    Participant

How wonderful it’s the bestest present ever

Doodah
    Keymaster

Lelly is right by saying that a ‘warts and all’ update is really useful. We all certainly never seem to hold back do we? If we all said it was ‘hearts-and-flowers’ easy, I’m not sure how truthful it would be lol!

Doodah x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media