Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Bypass » Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    simonpoole1978
    Participant

Hi guys

So I’m 4 days post op and home and generally feeling ok although I keep feeling queezy.

It’s like I feel sick but don’t need to be and it doesn’t happen when I’m eating only about an hour or so after.

Is it just where I’m still healing and my stomach is adjusting or am I doing something wrong?

I only eat a couple of tablespoons of food at mealtimes, don’t drink for 30 minutes pre or post meal, use teaspoon and wait 60 seconds between swallowing and taking another spoonful.

Help!

Simon

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Simon

Firstly, don’t panic. It doesn’t sound like you are doing anything wrong. My advice would be to contact your team. I’m not a clinician so I can’t give you clinical advice but you sound very much like I was at the very beginning. It could be that everything is taking it’s time to settle. I think we sometimes forget that, although we only have tiny scars on the outside, inside there has been an awful lot of work done.

Please let me know how you get on and don’t hesitate to ask anything you need to know that is wls journey related as the lovely people on this forum are always happy to help.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Contact your team you might need some mess to help , remember your tiny pouch / sleeve is healing it’s been a bit battered and bruised . Keep up your fluids and if queazy stay on fluid until you contact the team it’s sometimes like two steps forward one step back . I know I had to go back to fluids for a few days early on . I think our new stomach are like babies start on milk fluid try weaning and if that has a hic up than go back a savage wait and then try again . Let us know how you get on

Lauren
    Keymaster

That is a brilliant analogy Kimberley. It IS like weaning a baby!

Have you managed to contact your team, Simon? I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Doodah x

simonpoole1978
    Participant

As luck would have it I recieved a call from the nurse doing a general check up on my progress.

She thought it was a combination of not enough fluid, after effect of surgery and eating too quickly or food is too thick.

I’ve tried to drink more (not easy) and now leave 2 minutes between mouthfuls when I eat and it seems to be easing up thankfully.

Thank you both for your help xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update, Simon. I’m so glad you have been able to speak to a member of your team.

Getting enough fluids can be surprisingly difficult in the early days, especially when we have to make absolutely sure we leave enough time before we eat! Some of the new people in the support group carry round special water/juice bottles that are insulated to keep it nice and cool. They simply sip one mouthful every 5-10 minutes. It works really well.

Don’t forget that tea and coffee count as fluids, especially if you choose the caffeine free variety. Coffee with sugar free syrups are delicious – I have them every day.

Here are some sugar free squashes and syrups you might like to try as you progress:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=280515429

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Instant_Coffee/Monin_Sugar_Free_Vanilla_Syrup_250ml.html

http://www.robinsonssquashd.co.uk/FAQ.aspx

The syrups can also be used to flavour cold milk.

Hope this is helpful. It’s still early days yet so please take things slowly.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

How are you doing Simon?

Hope things are settling down now. Don’t forget to get in contact at any point as we are all here to help each other 🙂

Doodah x

simonpoole1978
    Participant

I’m doing ok thanks Doodah the nausea has gone completely thankfully ?

I have noticed that when I eat I’m not getting a fullness feeling but not sure if it’s there and I’m not used to feeling it or if it just isn’t there. I stick to the portion size stated in the booklet from streamline so I’m not overeating is it likely to become more noticeable when I move off of puréed food?

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Simon.

So glad the sickness has passed. It’s utterly grim to feel nauseated isn’t it?

I think, perhaps, once you go onto a more ‘chunky’consistency you will notice how little you need to eat before you feel absolutely stuffed! it’s very important at this stage to chew the living daylights out of your food. It will slow you down and help to avoid anything getting ‘stuck. This is known as the 20:20:20 rule:

“After surgery, each mouthful of food should be chewed 20 times (to a mash potato style consistency), each meal must have about 20 mouthfuls and last for 20 minutes, leaving a minute between each mouthful.”

Also remember that you are still healing inside. It takes time for everything to settle down. When is your next check up? If ever you are in doubt about anything, contact your team. It’s what they are there for and no question is too ‘daft’ – not even mine were haha! 😉

Doodah x
    Doodah x

simonpoole1978
    Participant

Hi Doodah

I’m not entirely sure when my next appointment is I’m still waiting for it to come through from st Richards but I’m sure it will come through soon enough 🙂

Lauren
    Keymaster

Ok Simon. In the meantime, focus on YOU. This is your time. I always say that it’s not being selfish to put yourself first for once, even though it’s really hard to do. I’m really looking forward to hearing about your wls journey. After 8 years (had mine in 2008) I still get goose bumps when I hear about the positive changes in others’ lives. Not a lot makes me happier 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media